• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    How many young, pro-2A attorneys starting their careers would even apply for a job there? Zero. It sterilizes the entire D.A.'s office against people who believe in the ENTIRE Constitution. It also forecloses that employment avenue as a good resume builder.

Maybe the law needs to start recognizing people who insist on respect for all of their civil rights as a protected class.

Recoil45

Jul 29, 2011
    NY
    This is the same county. Keep in mind a license is needed to posses a handgun in your own home.

Ex-workers sue Nassau Sheriff's Dept. over gun permits
    September 29, 2015
    WOODBURY - A discrimination lawsuit has been filed against the Nassau County Sheriff's Department by four former workers who claim they were denied recommendations for gun permits because they retired with an injury or disability.

According to the suit, without the recommendations - known as "good guy" letters - from the Sherriff's Department, the Nassau County Police Department will not issue the licenses or permits.

The suit was filed by attorney Fred Brewington, who said as many as 50 other officers may wind up joining the class-action case.

"These are not the type of disabilities that place them or anyone else in jeopardy," Brewington told News 12.

Even though they are retired, the officers involved in the suit gave News 12 candid examples of why it is important to them to be able to carry a firearm.

"I had to use force on inmates and force was used against me," said Alexandros Perros.

"I might run into [a former inmate] while I'm with my family out in Roosevelt Field Mall," said Victor Patalano. "And they get a little aggressive where they want to get some type of revenge against me."

Perros retired with herniated disk in his back and neck. Patalano had a total hip replacement in 2012.

Perros said all the sub-units within the department approved applications for a gun permit, but the sheriff's department denied them based on the disability.

"We want the same rights that every other retired law-enforcement officer gets," said Patalano.

The Nassau County Sheriff's Department has not returned a call to comment on the case.

http://longisland.news12.com/news/f...department-over-gun-permit-denials-1.10905414

Silverlax

Nov 13, 2014
    Eastern Shore
    Exactly why I moved from there, been trying to convince the old man to do the same and get down this way. (Not that MD is the epitome of an American state.)

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD

g_mars

Mar 22, 2013
    The total ban still doesn't make sense. The DA banned the ADAs from OWNING guns because of friendly-fire casualties and deaths (all from officers or federal agents, none involved DAs of any level). I can fully understand the ban at work, but there was never a logical connection between the reason and the at-home ban.

Apparently logic isn't how these folks operate.

I'm baffled, myself. :sad20:

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    It had nothing to with work.. they tried to restrict a fundamental right as a condition of employment. They got called out..and they folded..

The litigation would not have been pretty.

The ban at work makes even less sense...but the court hasn't spoken as clearly on that...

There is no basis for the ban on work..none.

Woodnickel

Mar 28, 2013
    East TN
    This is the same county. Keep in mind a license is needed to posses a handgun in your own home.

Ex-workers sue Nassau Sheriff's Dept. over gun permits
    September 29, 2015
    WOODBURY - A discrimination lawsuit has been filed against the Nassau County Sheriff's Department by four former workers who claim they were denied recommendations for gun permits because they retired with an injury or disability.

According to the suit, without the recommendations - known as "good guy" letters - from the Sherriff's Department, the Nassau County Police Department will not issue the licenses or permits.

The suit was filed by attorney Fred Brewington, who said as many as 50 other officers may wind up joining the class-action case.

"These are not the type of disabilities that place them or anyone else in jeopardy," Brewington told News 12.

Even though they are retired, the officers involved in the suit gave News 12 candid examples of why it is important to them to be able to carry a firearm.

"I had to use force on inmates and force was used against me," said Alexandros Perros.

"I might run into [a former inmate] while I'm with my family out in Roosevelt Field Mall," said Victor Patalano. "And they get a little aggressive where they want to get some type of revenge against me."

Perros retired with herniated disk in his back and neck. Patalano had a total hip replacement in 2012.

Perros said all the sub-units within the department approved applications for a gun permit, but the sheriff's department denied them based on the disability.

"We want the same rights that every other retired law-enforcement officer gets," said Patalano.

The Nassau County Sheriff's Department has not returned a call to comment on the case.

http://longisland.news12.com/news/f...department-over-gun-permit-denials-1.10905414

A permit is needed in any and all counties in NY to own a handgun in the home. Pistol permits are issued to own a pistol in the state of NY. Depending on where (county) you live, you may get restrictions such as in home only, target and sporting, employment or unrestricted.
    A permit to own a pistol requires the same process as a carry permit. I recently moved back for work and am going through the process to both be able to bring my pistols here and carry.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    A permit is needed in any and all counties in NY to own a handgun in the home. Pistol permits are issued to own a pistol in the state of NY. Depending on where (county) you live, you may get restrictions such as in home only, target and sporting, employment or unrestricted.
    A permit to own a pistol requires the same process as a carry permit. I recently moved back for work and am going through the process to both be able to bring my pistols here and carry.

I had to travel to Syracuse last year and was joking with a coworker that lived there about how bad NY was on guns. I almost fell over when he showed me his carry permit. He feels the same about NY city as we do about Baltimore city. Said once you get away from NY city the rest of the state isn't too bad.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I had to travel to Syracuse last year and was joking with a coworker that lived there about how bad NY was on guns. I almost fell over when he showed me his carry permit. He feels the same about NY city as we do about Baltimore city. Said once you get away from NY city the rest of the state isn't too bad.

What about Cuomo and the lunatics --er, representatives of the people -- from all over the state who meet in Albany?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom