• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Will a dealer have to ask a potential customer for his handgun purchase license before he lets the customer handle a firearm over the counter? If I understand it correctly a person that hasn't prior to Oct.1st legally owned a handgun and also hasn't acquired a purchase license (fingerprints and training) can't legally possess a handgun (even on a temporary basis while at a gun shop).
    If that is the case will a person that currently legally owns handguns but is not going to submit to the new licensing requirement (ie. won't be able to produce a purchase license) be precluded from handling a handgun at a gun
    shop?

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    Touching and handling a gun at a gun shop is not possessing it so the answer is you do not need a license to go and fondle the firearms. Does that mean a dealer won't ask to see one? I don't know, I'm not a dealer. The law does not require it however. You can even shoot a friend's gun without having a license.

racer79

n00b
    Jan 24, 2013
    Northern MD
    Have we seen anything yet on how to apply so we can purchase on October 1? One needs the license before 10/1 in order to purchase on 10/1

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    No, you won't need a license to handle a handgun at a gun shop as that is not possession. In New York State and Connecticut that is the case, but won't be here. We don't need to start confusing our laws with theirs.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    At this point they don't even know how or what the training is to consist of. supposedly MSP will publish everything in September. Why in God's would you be waiting until 10/1 to make a purchase?

racer79

n00b
    Jan 24, 2013
    Northern MD
    I'm not waiting, but I read in a another thread that there were talks of gumming up the licensing system by having a strategic "attack" and everyone applying for their license on the same day.

However, if I wanted to purchase on 10/1, I would still need that license before that day. Besides, what happens to to the FFLs that can't sell anything for a week+ in october because the state didn't have the licensing in place? That's the start of the 4th quarter and holiday season. It would be sad to have all those nice busy FFLs twiddling thumbs. Free tip: have a "Joe Biden" sale that week to keep customers coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom