• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    I recently acquired this rifle for a nice chunk of change but I regret literally nothing. This is a 1944 No.4 Mk.1 "Trials" rifle converted by factory to "T" standard to accept a No.32 Mk.2 scope and mount. The wood on the end is a cheek riser that helps the shooter line up with the scope when it is installed. I'm thinking of getting a reproduction scope and mount for now as this rifle was not cheap and by god an original scope would kill my bank account now.

Mirror bright bore and barrel, pristine bolt, perfect two-stage trigger with the cleanest break of every rifle I own, and a micro-meter marksman's flip-up rear sight. Even if it did not have a scope, it is every bit of a perfect rifle to hold and own. One of my dream rifles soon to be set and ready for the range. I almost feel bad for wanting to shoot it. Almost.

Pictures:

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    NOT a trails rifle. I hope you didn't pay Trails rifle prices!.I suggest you read "An Armourer's Perspective: .303 No. 4 (T) Sniper Rifle and the Holland & Holland connection By Peter Laidler
    Or any of the Lee-Enfield Story books by Ian Skennerton

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    NOT a trails rifle. I hope you didn't pay Trails rifle prices!.I suggest you read "An Armourer's Perspective: .303 No. 4 (T) Sniper Rifle and the Holland & Holland connection By Peter Laidler
    Or any of the Lee-Enfield Story books by Ian Skennerton

I paid a solid 1,100 by the time I got it. It has a TR stamp which I noted was correct for BSA rifles converted to Sniper standard. Also it was listed as a trials rifle. Mawkie was the one who found this and pointed me to it.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Left wrist what I read:

M47C rifle made by BSA Shirley
    1944 year of production
    ENGLAND indicates supplied to a foreign government.
    C37787 serial one of the 6,262 T's made in '44
    TR designation marks indicating the (T) conversion

"If" the rifle ever had a scope fitted to it the number will on top of the butt stock . If the original stock is removed you'll see the rifle number an then the telescope number.

For a rifle that was loaned/sold to a foreign gov. It is in excellent condition. One of my Jewish T's was rebuilt ten times an the scope twenty.

Capt Laidler can be found on the Enfield forums. He still rebuilds scopes an has a list of all the T's that came to his shops.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Left wrist what I read:

M47C rifle made by BSA Shirley
    1944 year of production
    ENGLAND indicates supplied to a foreign government.
    C37787 serial one of the 6,262 T's made in '44
    TR designation marks indicating the (T) conversion

"If" the rifle ever had a scope fitted to it the number will on top of the butt stock . If the original stock is removed you'll see the rifle number an then the telescope number.

For a rifle that was loaned/sold to a foreign gov. It is in excellent condition. One of my Jewish T's was rebuilt ten times an the scope twenty.

Capt Laidler can be found on the Enfield forums. He still rebuilds scopes an has a list of all the T's that came to his shops.

Good to know. I'll also see if he has a spare No.32 Mk.2 scope (which I presume is correct for this rifle) and mount I can pair the rifle with, along with recommended tools. I've heard the original scopes are what you want to use as the reproductions are not nearly the same quality.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    I paid a solid 1,100 by the time I got it. It has a TR stamp which I noted was correct for BSA rifles converted to Sniper standard. Also it was listed as a trials rifle. Mawkie was the one who found this and pointed me to it.

An he is wrong. Read the books an talk/write to some real British Armourers.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Good to know. I'll also see if he has a spare No.32 Mk.2 scope (which I presume is correct for this rifle) and mount I can pair the rifle with, along with recommended tools. I've heard the original scopes are what you want to use as the reproductions are not nearly the same quality.

Oct '44 the Mk 3 telescope was introduced.
    Scope mounts need to be fitted. Dr. Roger Paine at one time was making 100% copies of the telescope bracket. I had an Indian repro from Gun Parts inc ten years ago. The metal was soft. Fitting it involved adding more metal in the front pad an just stoning the rear.

Brain Dick at BDL LTD wrenches on them an is the exporter to Laidler for scope work.

Join here an learn:
    https://www.milsurps.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72

Good luck!

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Thanks! Getting a scope on her is my ultimate goal, as I wanted to get into the Telescopic Rifle series of Enfields. Besides not being a trials rifle like the listing stated, it's an excellent condition rifle that has the basic set-up for to accept a scope. Seeing as a Mk.3 scope could be (and probably is) the correct model to use, it's definitely worth pursuing.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Nice! You're gonna like shooting that Enfield. :thumbsup:

I picked up an unissued No. 4 MK 2 ~ 25 years ago. It's accuracy has never ceased to make me smile. :)

My bet is yours will do even better than mine.

Looking forward to a range report!

:D

Attachments

• SMLE No 4 MK 2 (MD Forum).jpg
      SMLE No 4 MK 2 (MD Forum).jpg
      49 KB · Views: 298
    • Enfield Target 05_31_08 50 yds Clip.JPG
      Enfield Target 05_31_08 50 yds Clip.JPG
      95.9 KB · Views: 320

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The goal was to find a proper No4T as the basis to eventually add a correct No32 scope and I'm thrilled that Cruacious got it! No, not an ex-trials rifle but a solid example of a wartime built No4T. We both searched through a fair number of examples before settling on this one. Wish I had saved a couple of photos of one faked No4T that we ran across in the process. Thank God the humper didn't know jack sh*t about the correct markings, made it easy to run away from! I expect we'll see this more often in the future as No4T rigs are selling for 5-6 times the $800 they commanded in the 80s when Navy Arms imported a batch of them. In the end this one is much nicer than my ex-Indian issue No4T which is a VG shooter.
    Cruacious has no illusions about the fact that it'll be difficult and expensive to find an original No32 but they are out there and can be found. It'll just take time, diligence and some luck. But I'll continue helping in the search. I respect the fact that he acknowledges the work that'll go into building a proper No4T rig. In the meantime he can enjoy shooting it using the Singer sight (less the battle sight aperture, which is correct for the No4T).
    For those interested in the No1 Mk VI troop trials rifle I'll be posting something very interesting later on this week, assuming it doesn't get lost/destroyed in transit (Cruacious, remember me mentioning I was working on a new acquisition that was going to tie up funds? Got it!).

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    A step by step of getting the pads and telescope fitted to this rifle would be great to follow along with on a firearms site.
    It’s intriguing when you think about the individual work and knowledge that went into these old rifles alone.
    Just drilling for the rear pad so close to the locking lug recess could be a chore in of itself.

Jiberwocky

Jun 4, 2019
    Baltimore
    It's beautiful! I've been slowly trying to build a low-budget mockup -T sniper based on a No.4 Mk1 sporter I got for 200 bucks, because I like the looks, but oh wow the real thing is so gorgeous.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    This rifle with the TR marks stamped into the wrist socket indicates it was selected for being turned over to H&H for becoming a T rifle after meeting certain criteria. Once the conversion was completed and a telescope fitted it would have been stamped with a serif T right in front of the ejector screw.
    I was able to observe T rifle R33857 which has a later letter prefix indicating manufacture towards the end of 1944 and lower serial # and this specimen has a early year prefix which appears to be a C with a serial# some 30,000 numbers higher and a virtually unblemished birch stock.
    Additional detailed pictures could only convince me of the authenticity of this rifle as being a "T" unless the conversion process somehow allowed the rifle to be serialized at a different time and the additional T by the ejector screw omitted or the rifle has been built up from carefully selected main components beginning with the stock and maybe even the action body which could be a Maltby.
    Im not saying this is the absolute final word its still a very nice rifle, I just cannot be absolutely convinced its entirely authentic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom