Attachments

• 1CB557A3-20C1-4CAF-89A0-E1AB2E4A4449.jpeg
      1CB557A3-20C1-4CAF-89A0-E1AB2E4A4449.jpeg
      34.5 KB · Views: 242

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    And when you go out into that 15°, 20° and 25° weather, and below, don't forget to take a rag/patches and wipe off the grease and oil, because when it's freezing out there, it will impede your weapon's action. Just ask the Germans and Russkies. LOL
    .:party29:

Mobil 1 motor oils offer a full range of temperature protection: For cold starts, the oil keeps flowing as low as -40 degrees Fahrenheit, and it can withstand high temperatures of up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

Synthetic oils are NOT the oils of WWII.

Notice that is MINUS 40F.

Youthcoach

Mar 4, 2010
    Waldorf, MD
    I'd like to put in a plug for Militec-1. I teach youth shotgun. Our gas guns get pretty funky over time. We use MILITEC on ALL the metal parts. When PROPERLY applied, (applied, then HEATED to a dry finish) it seals and lubes the surfaces. Cuts clean-up and provides a dry lubed surface. The MILITEC "finish" is functional until you literally wear it off. This has worked for us for over 15 years! It is also a mild cleaner if in a jam. NOT a good storage lube UNLESS heated/dried! (DO the barrel (inside and out also!)

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I'd like to put in a plug for Militec-1. I teach youth shotgun. Our gas guns get pretty funky over time. We use MILITEC on ALL the metal parts. When PROPERLY applied, (applied, then HEATED to a dry finish) it seals and lubes the surfaces. Cuts clean-up and provides a dry lubed surface. The MILITEC "finish" is functional until you literally wear it off. This has worked for us for over 15 years! It is also a mild cleaner if in a jam. NOT a good storage lube UNLESS heated/dried! (DO the barrel (inside and out also!)

Miltec is surely not going to harm anything, but I think that it’s generally accepted that it’s simply some light synthetic machine oil packaged and branded to gun owners. Very few companies worldwide,actually manufacture synthetic lubricants. They have deep catalogs of overlapping products created to meet the established standards of the Auto, Aerospace, Industrial Manufacturing, and global military specifications.

Companies choosing to “Create” a special lubricant product need only to determine the environment requirements and lookup which lubricant specifications are best suited for the application. They can come up with a cool name, fancy bottle or packaging, then add colorants and even fragrance and set the marketing team loose.

If it works for you guys then keep using it. You might just be paying a little more money than necessary for similar results. At then end if the day what does a bottle of Miltec cost $10 its really insignificant.

I’ve been using regular synthetic motor oil for all guns now. IMO there are no extreme conditions within a firearm that are more extreme than the heat or friction forces within a modern internal combustion engine. As an experiment I’ve got one AR that has not been cleaned in over a year and a 300BO suppressed pistol with over 1500 rounds without a cleaning. I just add motor oil to the gas ports on the bolt before and after every shoot. Once and a while I dab some grease on the rails and the cam pin. It looks nasty in there but runs just fine.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Militec-1 was found by the Naval Research Lab here in MD to contain chlorine and it was determined this is detrimental.
    Here's a long Report by GAO to Congressman Steny Hoyer explaining how and why Militec-1 is not authorized by the Army and how NO DOD Engineering Activity would recommend it receive a NSN.
    Please take up any dispute of the GAO, DLA, Dept of the Army, and NRL findings with appropriate authorities. Militec's response to failing the tests and not following procedures is "It's not fair".
    GAO-09-735R and an explanation of it to Sen Hoyer:
    https://www.gao.gov/assets/100/96234.html

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    Hi IT,
    Last year I spent a LOT of money trying every lube and cleaner I could find and one thing I found was a lot of hype for a number of them. I'm sure many will disagree but the best are as follows.
    Best lube, hands down, Slip 2000.
    They have EWL (extreme weapons lube), EWL 30, and gun lube. They also have a grease that is awesome on AR bolt carriers and pistol rails. These lubes stayed liquid at extremely low temps where others froze solid.

Cleaners:
    I actually found 2 brands here that are about a tie. Bore Tech cleaners and KG products.
    I use both of these and if I really had to choose one over the other I think I'd lean toward KG simply because their copper remover is incredible. KG-1 is for carbon, Kg-2 Bore Polish, and KG-12 Copper Remover are awesome. They have little to no smell and are not the least bit offensive.

Bore Tech cleaners don't have much of a smell either (citrus) and they aren't offensive. Bore Tech Eliminator is the best all around cleaner for carbon and copper but if you prefer 1 for carbon and 1 for copper they do make them as separate cleaners.

Another carbon remover I found worked well is Slip 2000 carbon killer.

I also use Bore Tech's rod guides. This is just a preference.
    I like the Tipton carbon fiber rods since they cant scratch the bore and there is no rubber coating to wear off if using polishing compound.

The worst lube was Froglube, it froze solid as sis fireclean, and froglube when used for long term storage dried out in less than a week to a tar like coating.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you have any questions or you can email the manufacturer. They are all good helpful folks

Ken

JoshN

Jan 23, 2013
    Maryland until I escape
    I have looked and I did not find a recent thread on this topic. I am looking to invest into some new cleaning equipment and wanted thoughts opinions and preferences on kits, solvents, lubes, and tools to get this job done. Lets assume that we are looking at all the common calibers and I have nothing. I am willing to spend the money if it is worth it but also do not need/want a diamond handled bore snake.

I saw this on the interwebs and then thought before I buy reach out to the group here first.

https://www.amazon.com/Otis-Technol...K6/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Thanks in Advance all

When I was in the Marine Corps we shifted from the tried and true buttstock cleaning kits to those otis things. What I found is that people lose the parts to those expensive otis kits all the time. Oddly enough folks in my unit when the switch occurred went back to using the old buttstock kits. They were handy, reliable and cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom