• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    There was never a good visualization for how concealed carry laws have changed over time across the US and personally I always found the data very interesting. Lucky for me, I'm a software developer with a specialty in geospatial data visualizations. So, I took it upon myself to create this website to provide an interactive map that people can play with.

Here's the link. Watch everything turn green, be happy, and then be sad that we're still red.

Attachments

• default-image.jpg
      default-image.jpg
      43.7 KB · Views: 674

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Now we know which states to nuke from orbit, especially New York and California, nothing good ever came from either of those two places.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    this is great! thanks for sharing

I'm glad to make something that people like and find useful. Going to probably make some more of these, data visualization is kind of my thing and I'm always looking for datasets that could use a good visualizin'.

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    I like it. Here is a similar file that ends in 2013. I saw it posted here before, but couldn't find it on MDS. There are some restrictions to posting the .gif so here is the website. I didnt compare to yours, just thought it may be helpful. I like yours because you can pause it.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rtc.gif

Actually, that file was my data source (I credit it in the attribution in the bottom right corner of the map). I went through that gif frame by frame and marked down in an Excel document when each law change occurred for each state. My site wouldn't be possible without that gif. I just thought I could create a much better user experience to get at that data.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Yet the libs keep saying Maryland is so progressive! :rofl:

rem87062597

Annapolis, MD
    Jul 13, 2012
    CT is may issue by statute but more or less shall issue in practice.

I was considering differentiating between permissive may-issue and restrictive may-issue but I realized that finding historical data for that would be a huge pain for all 50 states over a 30 year span. Plus for many places that differentiation can vary county to county, so marking a whole state one thing wouldn't really work. I try to go into detail what the whole "may issue" thing means if you hover over the legend to make up for how much that category varies. It was definitely a concern of mine and a conscious decision not to display it, but I do think it comes down to there being a pretty significant legislative difference between may issue and shall issue regardless of whether or not a may issue state treats may issue like shall issue. Obviously I'm from Maryland, I do have a hard time making our state light red instead of dark red but it's what I had to do after thinking it over for a while.

'04 Cummins

Defenestrator
    There is a map out there, that I can't seem to find right now, that shows the entire USA color-coded by county. IIRC green was shall-issue and permissive may-issue, yellow was restrictive may-issue, and red was no-issue or essentially no-issue (think NYC and NJ). That map may be a bit out of date by now anyway.

I liked that representation, because there are so many permissive may-issue counties in NY and California. Probably 95% of the land area of the USA was green on that map.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    There is a map out there, that I can't seem to find right now, that shows the entire USA color-coded by county. IIRC green was shall-issue and permissive may-issue, yellow was restrictive may-issue, and red was no-issue or essentially no-issue (think NYC and NJ). That map may be a bit out of date by now anyway.

I liked that representation, because there are so many permissive may-issue counties in NY and California. Probably 95% of the land area of the USA was green on that map.

California:http://calwatchdog.com/2012/01/03/map-shows-divide-in-calif-over-guns/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_California

New York:http://www.longislandfirearms.com/forum/topic/24737-ny-state-concealed-carry/

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

Here:
    https://marylandshallissue.com/get-informed/shall-issue-maps/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom