• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    I am looking at buying a one year old Dillon 650 XL set up for 9mm for $450. Worth the price. It’s so hard to determine on a Dillon as everything seems extra. I load with a Lee Loadmaster now and plan to use those dies. What accessories do you recommend I look into? I was thinking of a case feeder but they seem expensive.. My question is is it worth the cost being everything works and is almost new.
    Thanks!

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I am looking at buying a one year old Dillon 650 XL set up for 9mm for $450. Worth the price. It’s so hard to determine on a Dillon as everything seems extra. I load with a Lee Loadmaster now and plan to use those dies. What accessories do you recommend I look into? I was thinking of a case feeder but they seem expensive.. My question is is it worth the cost being everything works and is almost new.
    Thanks!

That price is great! If you don’t buy it, send me the link.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Buy it. Then buy the case feeder and come back and thank me after loading 1,000 rounds. You're about to make a life altering reloading upgrade from that Lee.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    If you don’t buy it for that, give me the guy’s name and I’ll buy it! That’s a great price for a Dillon, and don’t forget, Dillon’s lifetime “no BS” guarantee goes with the press, not the owner, so you’ll have that too.

Most guys who are competition shooting and doing just o couple of calibers usually outfit their 650s with both a case feeder and a Mr. Bullet Feeder - it speeds up the process and really allows a person the crank out the ammo.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks!

The Covid is hitting someone hard to let a 650 go for 450!

Jackson923

Hell Yeah!
    Jan 25, 2008
    Harford Co
    Thanks for all the advice. I will be getting it in a few days. :party29:

Case feeder for sure and the second best addition is the spent primer catch with tubing. I run mine down into a coffee can.

Put a .45 acp case on the primer rod top to give it just enough weight and add a .45 case to the primer ski ramp so they don’t fly off.

trikshot

Industry Partner
    Nov 4, 2009
    Eastern Baltimore County
    New Dies Required

Thanks!

The threaded shanks of your Lee Dies are too short to use in the Dillon tool head. Prove this to yourself by installing your Lee dies in the Dillon tool head. RCBS makes great dies that will fit. Your price is excellent.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The threaded shanks of your Lee Dies are too short to use in the Dillon tool head. Prove this to yourself by installing your Lee dies in the Dillon tool head. RCBS makes great dies that will fit. Your price is excellent.
    This is not actually true. I use Lee 9mm dies in my 650XL; I've loaded probably 6k rounds through them, and they've been solid. You WILL need to use the Dillon lock rings, and you may want to transition to Dillon dies in the future to give yourself a little more room to play with adjustment, but they certainly work.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I use a Lee U die to resize all the once fired 9mm brass I get from my local range. Like the post above says I use a dillon lock ring and I have no issues with it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I also have used Lee dies in my 650.

With the Lee lock nuts, you need to turn them upside down, as they have an o-ring in them, and right side up the threads don't engage.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Thank you guys for the great advice. I ordered Dillon dies just to make sure I can install without worry or extra adjustments. Also, an Inline Fabrication Press riser and a few other accessories. When I have the extra money, I will be adding a case feeder and the Mr. bullet loader. Right now I have a press set up on my bench to sort out all the parts and installing them. I need to figure out how to get the powder dispenser set up when the dies come in. Then I hope to start loading 9 mm. There are lotta decent videos on YouTube for the set up so I’ve been busy watching as many as I can. Totally different then the Lee loadmaster and a little overwhelming but I have time..

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have never seen the need for the bullet feeder.

My left hand it not doing anything, so why not use it. :)

And I can do 1000 rounds of .45 in an hour, without a bullet feeder.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have never seen the need for the bullet feeder.

My left hand it not doing anything, so why not use it. :)

And I can do 1000 rounds of .45 in an hour, without a bullet feeder.
    There are plenty of good uses for the left hand!

;)

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Thank you guys for the great advice. I ordered Dillon dies just to make sure I can install without worry or extra adjustments. Also, an Inline Fabrication Press riser and a few other accessories. When I have the extra money, I will be adding a case feeder and the Mr. bullet loader. Right now I have a press set up on my bench to sort out all the parts and installing them. I need to figure out how to get the powder dispenser set up when the dies come in. Then I hope to start loading 9 mm. There are lotta decent videos on YouTube for the set up so I’ve been busy watching as many as I can. Totally different then the Lee loadmaster and a little overwhelming but I have time..

Dillon dies are not a requirement for the 550, 650, nor 750. I use mostly RCBS, but also use Lee, Hornady, and Redding dies. I don't own a Dillon die apart from the powder through, and I replaced the expanders when able with Lyman M die wannabes.

You should get the Inline Fab. press light and locator pin tabs if you didn't order them.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Dillon dies are not a requirement for the 550, 650, nor 750. I use mostly RCBS, but also use Lee, Hornady, and Redding dies. I don't own a Dillon die apart from the powder through, and I replaced the expanders when able with Lyman M die wannabes.
    Pretty much the same here. My 550 came(second hand) with two sets of Dillon dies. The rest of mine are RCBS and Lees

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom