• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Every couple years I buy a chair that is great... ish. It’s light and packable. Sits low to the ground and is just.. great. Except for my fat frame. Hahah.

Seriously though. I weigh 265 and the chair is designed/rated for 250 apparently. It works for a while... then the rivet/pin breaks and it’s not comfortable.

I use it while hunting in the fields. No need to hide deer and groundhog hunting. Sometimes I hike 2-3 miles a day so I would prefer it to not be big n bulky.

Any ideas what I could use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    Are you talking about those soft chairs that fold into a carry bag? If so I have seen a wide range of quality on those.

I think the best one we had was a Coleman brand.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Grade 8 hardware?

I read the words, but don’t understand. I’m willing to drop $60-120 on a chair that doesn’t break... as long as it meets my size requirements. Maybe weight too... don’t really wanna lug around a 30 lb chair...

This one is maybe 5-7 lbs. add 20 lb rifle and 20 lbs of “daybag gear”... No thanks. Hahah.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    I read the words, but don’t understand. I’m willing to drop $60-120 on a chair that doesn’t break... as long as it meets my size requirements. Maybe weight too... don’t really wanna lug around a 30 lb chair...

This one is maybe 5-7 lbs. add 20 lb rifle and 20 lbs of “daybag gear”... No thanks. Hahah.

This is what I have atm. Would love same one, designed to hold more weight. I’m..... not a teenage girl...

1f0e31ef0756b8251f48c8247bc86edf.jpg

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    This is what I have atm. Would love same one, designed to hold more weight. I’m..... not a teenage girl...

1f0e31ef0756b8251f48c8247bc86edf.jpg

You can see the bars in the front. Where they are digging into legs. Because the pin broke it doesn’t allow the mesh net to hold me.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland

Replace the Rivet/Pin with Grade 8 Hardware from the hardware store. Bolts are sold in different grades/strengths. Grade 5 is standard stuff while grade 8 is stronger/harder. There are many grades of hardware and many discussions about what is the strongest. My local ACE Hardware carries grade 8.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Replace the Rivet/Pin with Grade 8 Hardware from the hardware store. Bolts are sold in different grades/strengths. Grade 5 is standard stuff while grade 8 is stronger/harder. There are many grades of hardware and many discussions about what is the strongest. My local ACE Hardware carries grade 8.

Ahh okay. I’ll give that a shot. Seems the cheapest solution to keep what I like too! Thanks!

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Ahh okay. I’ll give that a shot. Seems the cheapest solution to keep what I like too! Thanks!

Don't get caught up with Grade 8 bolt (130 to 150 ksi Tensile) vs a Grade 5 bolt ( 95 to 120 ksi tensile). Either will do for your needs.

Using Cres (300 Series Stainless) may prove better since you are mixing it with aluminum.

Put a little dry skid/lube on the pivot point every so often to keep things from galling and free moving.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Don't get caught up with Grade 8 bolt (130 to 150 ksi Tensile) vs a Grade 5 bolt ( 95 to 120 ksi tensile). Either will do for your needs.

Using Cres (300 Series Stainless) may prove better since you are mixing it with aluminum.

Put a little dry skid/lube on the pivot point every so often to keep things from galling and free moving.

Too bad the hardware is being used in shear rather than tension.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Depending upon what you're hauling and where, they make some nice padded seats for 5 gallon buckets. The buckets can actually sometimes mitigate the hassle of some other more common carry options.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Too bad the hardware is being used in shear rather than tension.

True, double shear to be honest. :D Tensile and shear strengths tend to be proportional. One might want to look at bearing strength as well, since the thin walled Aluminum tube provides a very small bearing area. I would not expect bend strength to be an issue for this application. The next weak link will probably be the thin walled tubing in any case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom