• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DundalkSmithy

May 12, 2009
    Dundalk, MD
    Just doing a bit of online gun 'shopping' and I stumbled upon J&G's type 56's. Has anyone gotten one of these recently from J&G?? I know my share of SKS knowledge, but am just looking for reviews of their current stock of them. I'm not looking for a pristine type 56 but a decent looking one wouldn't hurt as well as a good shooter as I already own a barely used Yugoslavian 59/66 that I have not shot yet. Thanks in advance for the info SKS gurus! :party29:

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    hmm... The top-of-the-line sounds pretty rough.
    Do not expect a cleaning rod. Overall Fair to Good condition, functioning shootable rifles, may have spots of corrosion, heavily preserved in cosmoline. C&R eligible. Most marked with factory 26 in a triangle...

Why haven't you shot your Yugo? Did you punch out the firing pin to make sure it was really clean when you cleaned it up?

I like shooting my Chinese type 56 SKS. It's fun to shoot.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    You have to evaluate it for what it is -- a well-used and cosmo-soaked rifle that may look like hell but is an excellent buy. They are wonderful shooters, and anyone who doesn't have at least one in their collection will be sobbing eventually, when they are all gone. These are milled parts rifles--not stamped--with threaded barrels--not pinned--and chromed bores. These were about as good as you could get when they were new. Don't confuse them with the later "Norinco" Chinese SKS rifles that may look prettier, but are not nearly as well made.

BTW - Big Dog Outfitters, an IP here, has some on the rack that you can fondle and look over without having to commit to whatever gets sent to you. They are in King George/Dahlgren, VA (just a few miles over the Potomac river on Hwy 301). It's worth the trip--especially if you need some mags, want a Mosin (they have a bunch they're putting out on the racks), or just want to make a road trip.

m4strmind

Nov 14, 2006
    I just bought one of the yugo's from SOG last week. they are about $100 more.

i've not been able to clean it yet but its SOAKED in THICK cosmoline.

That said it looks real nice. I will get some pictures up once i get it cleaned up along with the other rifle i got at the same time ;)

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    SOG also has them for $329

http://www.southernohiogun.com/chinese-sks-rifle-7-62x39cal.html

I have two I am going to sell when I get back in town. One has a four digit serial which I believe makes it a early production model making it a Sino-Soviet if I remember correctly. Both are smothered in cosmo.

I will return on the 23rd if you are interested.

On a site note....SOG also has unissued 59/66's for $425

http://www.southernohiogun.com/sks-rifles-7-62x39-cal.html

I must save I have near 10 of the 56's and love them. Some looked real bad but cleaned up nice. It's funny, the banged up ones (field repairs, cracked stocks that I repaired, pitted rust on the receiver, etc) are the ones I like the best. Adds character IMHO.

DundalkSmithy

May 12, 2009
    Dundalk, MD
    hmm... The top-of-the-line sounds pretty rough.

Why haven't you shot your Yugo? Did you punch out the firing pin to make sure it was really clean when you cleaned it up?

I like shooting my Chinese type 56 SKS. It's fun to shoot.

I expect her to be a wee bit on the rough side and that's fine with me. Really just haven't had the time to shoot my Yugo with work. And yes, EVERYTHING(except the stock) on my Yugo got soaked in mineral spirits and the firing pin rattles freely as it should when shaken. Needless to say, the wife was pissed at me for about a week or 2 cause all of the parts were scattered all over the bench.

You have to evaluate it for what it is -- a well-used and cosmo-soaked rifle that may look like hell but is an excellent buy. They are wonderful shooters, and anyone who doesn't have at least one in their collection will be sobbing eventually, when they are all gone. These are milled parts rifles--not stamped--with threaded barrels--not pinned--and chromed bores. These were about as good as you could get when they were new. Don't confuse them with the later "Norinco" Chinese SKS rifles that may look prettier, but are not nearly as well made.

BTW - Big Dog Outfitters, an IP here, has some on the rack that you can fondle and look over without having to commit to whatever gets sent to you. They are in King George/Dahlgren, VA (just a few miles over the Potomac river on Hwy 301). It's worth the trip--especially if you need some mags, want a Mosin (they have a bunch they're putting out on the racks), or just want to make a road trip.

Spot on. I still kick myself in the ass for getting rid of my Russian and regret it everyday. Thanks for the info on the IP, will definitely have to check them out next time me and my brother make our roadtrip for some AR mags!

I just bought one of the yugo's from SOG last week. they are about $100 more.

i've not been able to clean it yet but its SOAKED in THICK cosmoline.

That said it looks real nice. I will get some pictures up once i get it cleaned up along with the other rifle i got at the same time ;)

All I can say is, mineral spirits. Afterwards, you'll love what you find beneath all that cosmoline. Mine honestly looks unissued with a few handling marks. Just don't forget to tear that bolt down and really give it a good soaking and scrubbing as cantstop mentioned in his above post. Q-tips, CLP and mineral spirits work wonders on the firing pin channel.

SOG also has them for $329

http://www.southernohiogun.com/chinese-sks-rifle-7-62x39cal.html

I have two I am going to sell when I get back in town. One has a four digit serial which I believe makes it a early production model making it a Sino-Soviet if I remember correctly. Both are smothered in cosmo.

I will return on the 23rd if you are interested.

On a site note....SOG also has unissued 59/66's for $425

http://www.southernohiogun.com/sks-rifles-7-62x39-cal.html

I must save I have near 10 of the 56's and love them. Some looked real bad but cleaned up nice. It's funny, the banged up ones (field repairs, cracked stocks that I repaired, pitted rust on the receiver, etc) are the ones I like the best. Adds character IMHO.

Now if it were a Russian, negotiations would have already begun. Thank you for the offer though.

I will definitely have to update this post once its delivered and I clean it up a bit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom