• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Not sure how I feel about this project... I agree with Combloc it's a not perfect HK93 and a not perfect STG44 replica. But its cool that someone has taken to bringing one of the more legendary firearms back to life.

I've been watching the InRange interviews and was excited until Ian experienced a breakdown on his test shooting of it. Until those two get their hands on it and really ring it out no way would i pay the 1800 and have to figure out how to get the 8mm kurz mags in possession.

No desire to pay that much for a not good looking replica that shoots some other caliber then the original.

Once my DP-28 is done, that FG-42 is next on my list.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Does anyone else find it strange that an imitation of the original assault rifle has being allowed to be sold in a state with a law banning the sale of assault rifles????????

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Sorry to resurrect this oldie, but did any of you pick yours up yet and if so do you likey? Was reading a little about these last night, got me curious. Kinda expensive for a poops & giggles kind of gun, but if the right deal comes along.....who knows?

EDIT: Forgot to add....saw it on the MSP list, but it says specifically “not banned”, but the next column says it’s a copy of an enumerated weapon, which is typically the reason something is banned. Typo? I know this list isn’t the be all and end all, but again, anyone that discussed this last summer actually pick one up, in MD?

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Close enough for fun. I expected a price in the $3k to $5 range. So not so bad in my opinion.
    We'll see if they're close enough for reenactors.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    No rifles delivered yet. HMG claims they are very close to shipping. They say they are having delays due to the polymer magazine manufacturer. $1800 is the current price. HMG has stated in one of their update videos that the rifle has been approved for Maryland.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I've been watching this since these guys interviewed on the Military Arms Channel a year ago or so about their progress on the rifle.

Seems like there would be enough people to buy a semi auto only exact clone of the real STG 44 only chambered in that 7.9whatever caliber (?). Someone with deep pockets could easily reverse engineer it, eh? Even taking metallurgy samples to get everything right from what probably now are incomplete blueprints

I still like the Hill and Macs iteration of it

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    I've been watching this since these guys interviewed on the Military Arms Channel a year ago or so about their progress on the rifle.

Seems like there would be enough people to buy a semi auto only exact clone of the real STG 44 only chambered in that 7.9whatever caliber (?). Someone with deep pockets could easily reverse engineer it, eh? Even taking metallurgy samples to get everything right from what probably now are incomplete blueprints

I still like the Hill and Macs iteration of it

Funny you say that. I have seen all of their videos on FB. Some lasting well over an hour! Lots of information. It has been a very interesting journey watching this rifle develope with all the minor changes they had to make to get the rifle to work. They had to just about reengineer it from the ground up. They would design a part on the computer, make one, and it wouldn't work. Then they would look at an original StG, make a small cut here or there and suddenly, the rifle worked. Very interesting stuff for me.

Feb 28, 2013
    How the hell did this thang land on the naughty list in the first place? Did some idiot write a letter again?

JWinners

Jul 26, 2017
    Saint Marys, MD
    There should be some news on the magazines this Friday. I don't expect getting my rifle for a month or two. Hopefully I will be surprised if it ships before that.

Will you leave the wood the original color? I bet it would look pretty authentic if it were stained a dark color.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    Will you leave the wood the original color? I bet it would look pretty authentic if it were stained a dark color.

The stock color has been chosen, May 2017. Second from the left is the winner. The only exception, if you pre-ordered before July 2017, you can choose between the second from the left or the far right stock color.

The reason the vote was taken is because the original STG44s were produced with a finish that was closer in color to the one on the far right. This would appeal to reenactors or purest's. If you see an original STG44 today, the color has turned darker (More like the rifles toward the left in the picture) but this is due to wear and time. It is my opinion that because these rifles are not exact copies, i.e. lower receiver and for most, caliber, I am not overly concerned about wood color.

Attachments

• .facebook_1518114738557.jpg
      .facebook_1518114738557.jpg
      82.9 KB · Views: 562

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    No rifles delivered yet. HMG claims they are very close to shipping. They say they are having delays due to the polymer magazine manufacturer. $1800 is the current price. HMG has stated in one of their update videos that the rifle has been approved for Maryland.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    That’s good news.

TinCuda

Sky Captain
    Apr 26, 2016
    Texas
    So did this ever arrive? I've been eyeing these for several years.

No.
    I am sorry to say that everyone is still waiting for any information on these.

HMG keeps blaming subcontractors for the delays.

I am a huge supporter and even I am beginning to lose faith.

I am still watching very closely and will be sure to update this thread with any good news.

Last edited:

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    No.
    I am sorry to say that everyone is still waiting for any information on these.

HMG keeps blaming subcontractors for the delays.

I am a huge supporter and even I am beginning to lose faith.

I am still watching very closely and will be sure to update this thread with any good news.

Ah sorry to hear it. I too have been crossing my fingers. They are really nice folks and do have a lot of talent. I think the cross-caliber part might be one of the big speedbumps in terms of materials and process etc. But I get they wanted to reach a broad market with 8mm Kurz being not exactly a Walmart round. I hope it comes throgh! Would love to see a range report as much as you'd like to write one. :D

One thing I haven't seen is what different magazine look like. I'd probably base what caliber I got to what looked closes to original mags. As shallow and hipster-like as that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom