• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    What I know: This gun belonged to my oldest brother's father who flew B-26's in Korea ( a friend of my father who was killed in an accident back in the states---Dad later married his widow--our Mom). Apparently it was a bring back and his back up pistol when flying, as my mother thinks he got it in Korea. It is marked by brand only with "Z" on the grips. Made in Czechoslovakia . Aut. Pistole . It is .25 ACP caliber.

All I can find out is these guns were widely made and probably produced in the late '40's... Any additional info is appreciated. Thanks in advance! (Calling Pistol Joe???)

Attachments

• zgun (2).jpg
      zgun (2).jpg
      84.9 KB · Views: 375
    • zgun2 (2).jpg
      zgun2 (2).jpg
      85.6 KB · Views: 381
    • zgun3 (2).jpg
      zgun3 (2).jpg
      113.3 KB · Views: 461
    • zholster.jpg
      zholster.jpg
      97 KB · Views: 481

rpker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 26, 2009
    Charles County
    could be

Dušek Duo pistol

František Dušek ran the largest private gun factory in Czechoslovakia before World War II. Based in Opočno in northeastern Bohemia, Dušek achieved a high degree of vertical integration in order to minimize dependence on other companies.

When Germany invaded Czechoslovakia, Dušek refused to cooperate with them, and the factory operated without him for the remainder of World War II.

In 1948-1949, the Czechoslovakian government nationalized (a.k.a. stole) Dušek's company. This particular Duo pistol (one of the higher quality descendants of the Browning Model 1906) was manufactured in 1949, during this crossover period. Note the "ČZ" stamp in a different font and strike depth than the surrounding text, yet the "Duo" name is still present in several places on this pistol. Within a few years, the government had changed the name of the pistol to the "Model Z," thus distancing the operation from its creator. The nationalized factory was also used to make CZ vz. 45 pistols.

The Duo and Model Z pistols were preferred by members of the Transportation Service Police (a division of Czechoslovakia Public Security (VB), the uniformed branch of police), who often carried them as personal sidearms while on duty.

http://www.freeexistence.org/images/guns/#Czechoslovakia

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    could be

Dušek Duo pistol

František Dušek ran the largest private gun factory in Czechoslovakia before World War II. Based in Opočno in northeastern Bohemia, Dušek achieved a high degree of vertical integration in order to minimize dependence on other companies.

When Germany invaded Czechoslovakia, Dušek refused to cooperate with them, and the factory operated without him for the remainder of World War II.

In 1948-1949, the Czechoslovakian government nationalized (a.k.a. stole) Dušek's company. This particular Duo pistol (one of the higher quality descendants of the Browning Model 1906) was manufactured in 1949, during this crossover period. Note the "ČZ" stamp in a different font and strike depth than the surrounding text, yet the "Duo" name is still present in several places on this pistol. Within a few years, the government had changed the name of the pistol to the "Model Z," thus distancing the operation from its creator. The nationalized factory was also used to make CZ vz. 45 pistols.

The Duo and Model Z pistols were preferred by members of the Transportation Service Police (a division of Czechoslovakia Public Security (VB), the uniformed branch of police), who often carried them as personal sidearms while on duty.

Good job with the history............:D:thumbsup:

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    this is one of the reasons i come here... so much information. thanks for the education.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    could be

Dušek Duo pistol

I saw that also, but did not see anything about the date when they changed to the "Z" model....

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    how about the internal parts....look something like this?

http://en.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/p/383555

I have a couple of books at home that may help with the dates that the name was shifted from "duo" to model Z. I will look it up when I get home in a few days.

Yep-- that looks like the same model, although blued instead of nickel plated....
    The nickel is in pretty good shape except for a spot on the slide and across the backstrap--- all obviously holster wear....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom