• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    A 1-6x is a great optic for a 300blk. I have a Vortex Strike Eagle on mine and am VERY Pleased with it. It's a good ways under your budget too

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    got a 1-6 strike eagle and its perfect for 100 yards. the reticle is kind of busy so im trying to sell it and get a 1-8 Strike Eagle. ill sell you my 1-6 for $200 w/ a mount. i just bought it like 2 months ago

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    my old man just put a leupold VX-R Hog scope on his 300 black out LWRC-DI rifle.

He is very pleased with it and says its perfect for that rifle.

I have looked through it recently and the simplicity of the reticle and fire dot looks great.

I was going between that and a vortex strike eagle myself.

I hear the strike eagle is awesome too but once you get to 5-6X the glass gets questionable.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    my old man just put a leupold VX-R Hog scope on his 300 black out LWRC-DI rifle.

He is very pleased with it and says its perfect for that rifle.

I have looked through it recently and the simplicity of the reticle and fire dot looks great.

I was going between that and a vortex strike eagle myself.

I hear the strike eagle is awesome too but once you get to 5-6X the glass gets questionable.

No issues with mine. Had my son hunting this weekend and had the scope on 6x at 100+ yds and got 3 animals with 3 shots:thumbsup:

Major03

Ultimate Member
    For that price range, and given that you're looking primarily for hunting, but also looking for some versatility...I'd probably go with a variable power 1x6 scope. Either the Strike Eagle or the Primary Arms scope would serve your purposes pretty well. It should also come under budget enough to include a scope mount too...like a Burris PEPR... or better yet a LaRue.

Something to consider though, the more options you get in a budget scope (like illuminated reticles, side paralax adjustment, variable power, etc) and the price stays in your budget...they skimp somewhere. Usually in the glass (which gets more noticeable the higher the magnification and the further out you try and shoot), and in the construction (like inconsistent turret adjustments). Generally speaking, spending the same amount of money for a fixed power scope will give you better glass, which will have a more generous eye relief, have less of a paralax issue and collect light better at dusk and dawn...all things that help on a hunt).

I have a Strike Eagle which I bought to see how they were, and it lives on a spare Windham AR I have now. It's an OK scope, and for the money I spent I'd say it was a pretty good deal. That said, the construction is cheaper, the turrets don't track well, and the glass is blurry on the edges at 6X. It is what it is...for a range rifle that won't see much field use, and a rifle that isn't intended to shoot for tiny groups at multiple ranges (e.g. I fixed my turrets on a zero and put the caps on never to adjust them again)...it does the job fine. I know the Vortex has a lifetime warranty, and I think the Primary Arms does too...so the cheaper construction isn't so big a deal. If it breaks, I'll just send it in and get a new one / fixed one.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I’ve been slowly trying over the last month to decide between the Strike Eagle and the Primary Arms 1-6. Every time I look at them on the webpage I keep trying to except either of the reticles.

I was watching a video of some guys 3-gun setup and how he wanted a Burris. I’m not sure what scope he was talking about, but I looked up the 1-6 RT-6 and I bought it within an hour. I liked the simple reticule.

It will be here Friday, but my new range badge could be a month or more before it gets here. I’ll try it out when I get the badge and report back here.

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    Never had problem with blurriness with my 1-6 strike eagle

i only had to adjust the reticle focus whenever i switched from 1x to 6x and it was crystal clear

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    PA1-6X24SFP-ACSS-300BO_07.jpg Primary arms

898760.jpg Burris

Vortex-1-6x24-Strike-Eagle-Riflescope-AR-BDC-Reticle-5.jpg Vortex

I'd say the Burris is the busiest out of the 3 YMMV.

I’ve been slowly trying over the last month to decide between the Strike Eagle and the Primary Arms 1-6. Every time I look at them on the webpage I keep trying to except either of the reticles.

I was watching a video of some guys 3-gun setup and how he wanted a Burris. I’m not sure what scope he was talking about, but I looked up the 1-6 RT-6 and I bought it within an hour. I liked the simple reticule.

It will be here Friday, but my new range badge could be a month or more before it gets here. I’ll try it out when I get the badge and report back here.

Ponch

Feb 7, 2018
    Odenton
    I have a dual reticle eotech with 3x magnifier and I loved it....and then I bought a thermal. That was a mistake! Love my thermal but now I want more.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I like either Vortex or Nikon. Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10 or Nikon Monarch 2.5-10 for the budget you have. You can get a Nikon ProStaff for less and they are pretty nice for the money. [EDIT I re-read your post. You may want a 1-6 or 2-7 power scope].

bman940

Bart, Nikon Pro Staff
    Oct 11, 2010
    North Texas
    dread, Agree with you 100%. I started my night hunting about 6-7 yearsd ago with a ATN scope that fits in front of my regular scope. Worked great especially with an illuminated reticle on my Nikon scope. I then went huntign with a buddy who had a thermal and it was all over! Now I am hooked on thermal scopes. Definintely worth the $ for the amount of fun you have with them. I have since converted about a dozen buddies whose wives no longer let me into their homes. ATN's new ThorHD is amazing and the features just keep getting better. I was checking out the latest and greatest from ATN and the price and size are both getting smaller.

IMG_7223.jpg

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    F7ylo4f.jpg

Figured I'd temporarily revive this thread. Got this rifle out to range and got it sighted in, and all I can say; is that I love the whole setup. :D

Last edited:

barr321

Inaccurately accurate
    Sep 22, 2018
    I interchange my Burris AR536 and it’s never failed me. It all depends on what you’re really looking for. It’s nice for the price range I think. They usually go for around $400, but I’ve seen them as low as $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom