• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Hi -

Last year during muzzle loader season I had a very nice buck come into range. Unfortunately, my rifle failed to fire (cap snapped...no bang...buck ran off!).

I didn't see him again all year. A couple weeks ago I put a camera in the area and a mineral block to try to see who is around these days. I got a lot of deer on camera coming to the block, sniffing it and then immediately bolting in alarm. Mr. Ten Point Buck from last year showed up one night and did the same thing at about 4:30 am.

Any idea why they're freaking out from the mineral block? Maybe my scent is on it? Maybe just because it's an unusual object? I'd never messed with mineral blocks before, but decided to after finding an nearby muddy spot where deer have been congregating and licking the ground. I think someone must have had a block there before. Thus the experiment with the block and camera.

More importantly, how would you hunt this deer now? Deer are only appearing on the camera at 10:30 pm and 4:30 am. This is an area that is private land but it gets a pretty decent amount of hunting pressure. I was thinking of going and taking the camera out and avoiding the area until muzzle loader season. I've never taken a very mature buck so I'm really hoping to get this guy.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    No flash; infared only. I had it set to record videos. It's about 10 yards away. It happened over and over again with does and then with the big buck...it was on and recording...deer acting totally calm and normal, then the second they get near the block to smell it they freak out and bolt.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    No flash; infared only. I had it set to record videos. It's about 10 yards away. It happened over and over again with does and then with the big buck...it was on and recording...deer acting totally calm and normal, then the second they get near the block to smell it they freak out and bolt.

Some cams make noise when trigger.
    I always put my cams over 6' up the tree and point them downward from about 12' away.
    What kind of mineral block is it?
    Is this private property or maybe an IWLA?
    If you can figure out the spooking issue before it's too late, try and figure out his travel corridor try to intersect him. Being only September yet, it might be some time before he starts moving in the daylight. You have to figure out the spooking problem fast though. He won't put up with that for long.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Might be the block. Try a plain salt block instead.
    I've always used the 50# brown mineral blocks for cattle on deer. They tear that stuff up, but I make it a point to put it out just after the end of deer season, when they need it the most.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Sometimes problem is when you get pics or see a lot of deer movement on the way to your place from like 0430 onward to dawn they are already, or more than likely heading to their bedding location.

When you head into the woods they just hold tight unless they get pushed to you from others in or near the same area.
    If you can get your camera to make you aware or find out where hes bedding, get in front of him about 3-4 hours after first daylight and wait it out to see if you can spot him.
    If you happen to choose an escape trail out of or in to thick cover or be in the right spot when he gets up to browse and sniff around your golden.

If you ever seen a deer a few times in the morning and you take your buddy or some one else goes in at a different spot but relatively nearby and you get a text at 0730 I got a nice one you can presume what just happened.

You can bump them around from yourself walking in and they just caught returning their lair.

Just go later a few times and let them do the work for you and see what happens.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    What is REALLY aggravating is when you sit in your tree stand for four hours; decide to pack up and leave, and then your game cam records a herd of deer moving right under your tree.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've always used the 50# brown mineral blocks for cattle on deer. They tear that stuff up, but I make it a point to put it out just after the end of deer season, when they need it the most.

I’ve still got a bit of a melted one out there and switched to a new deer specific one for horn growth. Only because that’s what I could get a few weeks ago.

Deer seem 50:50 on which they go for. I have noticed this summer deer have been hitting them way more than they were when I just had the one cattle mineral block out. But that could be a weather/used to it thing maybe. Id say when I have them come in about half the deer choose to have some licks of one of them. Last year I’d see one every couple of days taking some licks.

No big boys even at night for me. Pretty sure they are moving through my woods and not stopping up for corn and the licks.

I need to find the time to reposition my cameras back on to the deer trails along my hill in the woods and by my creek.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Thanks for the comments.

I have ruled out the camera noise possibility. I had it set to video and had already observed it turning on and off. It doesn't make any noise at all. Plus, it is recording 30-second clips so I can see the deer moving around calmly etc. until the moment they sniff the block.

The mineral block is the brown kind that is marketed to deer hunters...I got it at Bass Pro.

I am trying to describe the location without giving away the location if you know what I mean haha. But yes outrider, you got the idea. It's a long and narrow patch of oak trees that have great acorns this year. On one side of the grove is a large field that is planted with a mixture of pasture grasses and some root vegetables (wildlife food plot mix). On the other side is water that the deer must walk around. I've got the camera/potential stand location right at the funnel point between the grove, a patch of woods, and the water. It's definitely their travel corridor -- the reason I decided to set up here was I found a well worn trail and lots of buck droppings.

I'm going out there this afternoon. If you were in my shoes, would you pull the block and/or move the camera? I was thinking of moving the camera to the other end of where I think they're coming from just to confirm the bedding location. But I definitely don't want to spook them. So I'm not sure if the best thing might be to just stay away completely other than quietly pulling the camera.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks for the comments.

I have ruled out the camera noise possibility. I had it set to video and had already observed it turning on and off. It doesn't make any noise at all. Plus, it is recording 30-second clips so I can see the deer moving around calmly etc. until the moment they sniff the block.

The mineral block is the brown kind that is marketed to deer hunters...I got it at Bass Pro.

I am trying to describe the location without giving away the location if you know what I mean haha. But yes outrider, you got the idea. It's a long and narrow patch of oak trees that have great acorns this year. On one side of the grove is a large field that is planted with a mixture of pasture grasses and some root vegetables (wildlife food plot mix). On the other side is water that the deer must walk around. I've got the camera/potential stand location right at the funnel point between the grove, a patch of woods, and the water. It's definitely their travel corridor -- the reason I decided to set up here was I found a well worn trail and lots of buck droppings.

I'm going out there this afternoon. If you were in my shoes, would you pull the block and/or move the camera? I was thinking of moving the camera to the other end of where I think they're coming from just to confirm the bedding location. But I definitely don't want to spook them. So I'm not sure if the best thing might be to just stay away completely other than quietly pulling the camera.

Sorry about that, lol. The point I was getting at was, if you're hunting property where other people have equal access, it is really difficult to pattern a particular animal. You can do everything right and some rando strolls in ruins the whole deal.
    However, the fact that that deer is still there proves two things, he has a hidey-hole somewhere in or near there and he has plenty of food and water to keep him there.
    If you can figure out where that hole is(and in all likelihood, it will be a very confined area), you're halfway there. If you are able to figure out this riddle, I would not hunt him in the evening. He'll be moving after dark. Instead, I'd hunt him in the am. Especially as the rut approaches, your chances will be better catching him staggering in late after a night of cavorting.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I just pulled the camera card. Here he is. These are the clearest photos. He has been cruising through almost every night, including last night.

Attachments

• WGI_0084.jpg
      WGI_0084.jpg
      48.6 KB · Views: 131
    • WGI_0232.jpg
      WGI_0232.jpg
      56.9 KB · Views: 121

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If you get one in daylight, you better be in your tree that day...and the next...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Try to figure out why he shows up there at that time. Where's he headed? Where's he coming from?
    (Hint)

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    He's definitely going from a thick woods area to an open field area. He's gone 4-5 hours each time. I'm going to put the camera back today and then not hunt in there until muzzleloader time when hopefully he'll show up during daylight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom