My G43X. Perfect carry pistol for me. (for now) :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Can you still use the plastic mags with the metal release, or do they get chewed up by it?

Assuming you aren't using the plastic ones except as spares that may never get used. I just use them very little.
    I mean, metal to plastic, instead of plastic to plastic. Either way mags are consumables. I just haven't shot the plastic mags enough to see anything degrade.
    I just wouldn't use them more than I would the metal ones.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Important thing here..... Did you get the metal Mag release they also sell? Because the metal mags will chew away at the stock plastic mag release.

I ordered a mag and their mag release but they haven’t shipped yet. The two mags I have came from a third party supplier.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Assuming you aren't using the plastic ones except as spares that may never get used. I just use them very little.
    I mean, metal to plastic, instead of plastic to plastic. Either way mags are consumables. I just haven't shot the plastic mags enough to see anything degrade.
    I just wouldn't use them more than I would the metal ones.

I figure that when I buy the gun, I'm not going to be able to afford a shit-ton of the metal mags right away. It would be nice to buy a couple, including the mag release, and still be able to use the plastic ones that came with it at the range for practice or competition until I can stock up on the metal ones.

I'm guessing/hoping the metal mags chew up the plastic release because of the way the points of contact between them are shaped (with the mag being kind of like a cheese grater), while the shape of the metal release where it meets the plastic mag would be less aggressive...more slidey, less gougey. :shrug:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I figure that when I buy the gun, I'm not going to be able to afford a shit-ton of the metal mags right away. It would be nice to buy a couple, including the mag release, and still be able to use the plastic ones that came with it at the range for practice or competition until I can stock up on the metal ones.

I'm guessing/hoping the metal mags chew up the plastic release because of the way the points of contact between them are shaped (with the mag being kind of like a cheese grater), while the shape of the metal release where it meets the plastic mag would be less aggressive...more slidey, less gougey. :shrug:
    I was thinking about how to word it and couldn't, so I didn't even try lol
    That's why I went ",metal to plastic" , you figure it out.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Not feeling like guessing what size mag holder fits the shield arms mags, I went and bought what they sell. I believe Phlster makes it.
    I like how you can remove the clip and place it on the other side for IWB carry.

Other than that, just a typical kydex thing with screws, rubber washer, and a clip.
    0503c0631cfcbba21e24dc98685ea9ed.jpg
    e5297e56393c7c33ebe2ffe9fd11ff14.jpg
    c2106a844217d708e08efaec410df5aa.jpg

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Mini-Revival

I've been waiting to find a 43X in stock-- took a short drive over to a new LGS near Hagerstown-- "MD Arsenal"-- off of 40 near the 70 exit (the old Hendershots location). Lo and behold they had 2 43Xs and a G48-- as well as a couple of Springfield XD9s. After fondling them all for several minutes I decided to go with the G43X. It certainly just felt right and that slide rack was very easy relative to the XDs. Now the search will be on for the SA 15 mags and a good carry holster. I have zero experience with an IWB--thinking of going that way...so any recommendations are welcome. Of course that damn stock trigger will very likely have to go too.

As a side note-- if you live in the area of Hagerstucky or on your way down 70 don't hesitate to stop in for a visit to MD Arsenal. Not an outrageous amount of stock in (yet) but...hey its a growing concern--they might just have what your looking for (or can't live without...:D) They also have an indoor range--

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have zero experience with an IWB--thinking of going that way...so any recommendations are welcome. Of course that damn stock trigger will very likely have to go too.

If you see 1 kydex iwb holster you've seen them all. I have just been going with Vedder over the years. Just make sure you get one with an adjustable clip so the forward cant can be adjusted. Canted forward allows the butt of the grip to rise up and forward with the center line of your body, helping to eliminate it shooting laterally back printing/pushing back through your shirt. Wearing forward of the 3 O'clock in the waist also helps hide it as well.

Good luck.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    If you see 1 kydex iwb holster you've seen them all. I have just been going with Vedder over the years. Just make sure you get one with an adjustable clip so the forward cant can be adjusted. Canted forward allows the butt of the grip to rise up and forward with the center line of your body, helping to eliminate it shooting laterally back printing/pushing back through your shirt. Wearing forward of the 3 O'clock in the waist also helps hide it as well.

Good luck.

Alright-- I have a Vedder OWB for my G17...like it just fine. Might as well give the IWB a go. Any thoughts on Fobus?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Alright-- I have a Vedder OWB for my G17...like it just fine. Might as well give the IWB a go. Any thoughts on Fobus?

I used an original Fobus paddle holster for my issue P229 for the better part of 15 years. I like them for range holsters, OWB. I also keep a Fobus paddle holster for the 43X in my vehicle as a back up holster, for whatever reason.

I am not personally familiar with any Fobus IWB stuff. I do think Fobus stuff is "clunky" though. Flimsy perhaps? I do like a dedicated type of holster and not something that is "modular" that can be iwb or owb by changing a clip and screw, like all the Alien Gear garbage.

They are inexpensive enough,. I might even look at a Fobus IWB.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I am not personally familiar with any Fobus IWB stuff. I do think Fobus stuff is "clunky" though. Flimsy perhaps? I do like a dedicated type of holster and not something that is "modular" that can be iwb or owb by changing a clip and screw, like all the Alien Gear garbage.

They are inexpensive enough,. I might even look at a Fobus IWB.

Got it--thanks.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Can you still use the plastic mags with the metal release, or do they get chewed up by it?

My 43X? The plastic catch could not hold the Shield Arms 15, at shot 15, 14 or 13. It popped loose and failed to feed.

Now I have the metal release? The plastic mags are a bitch to release. Then again I love my SA 15 round mags.:)

Good luck.

For those watching my g19 is backup. I use 43x.

Attachments

• g43x.jpg
      g43x.jpg
      38.2 KB · Views: 115

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads