• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Is that codified somewhere? I've always understood it to include retreating to a secure room in your house. I'd be glad to find out otherwise.

Retreating to a position of advantage is a wise, tactical move anyway. So by default you would be satisfying a duty to retreat.

Using the same website you used, I found this....
    http://statelaws.findlaw.com/maryland-law/maryland-self-defense-laws.html

"Maryland follows several common law principles relating to self defense, which include:

Duty to Retreat - In situations that take place outside of a person's home the individual defending themselves has the duty to retreat, unless doing so is unsafe or impossible.

The Castle Doctrine - In a person's home they do not need to retreat, but can stand their ground and attempt to defeat or deter the invader. However, the use of force here must still be reasonable."

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Is that codified somewhere? I've always understood it to include retreating to a secure room in your house. I'd be glad to find out otherwise.

Code is not the issue, case law is. and you have no idea what is a "secure room" in your home I don't see "secure room" in the case law or code. On top of that of course retreating out the back door or window is always a risk of even more danger to a reasonable person since a second assailant could be out there in the dark.

The case law in Maryland talks about surprise or force.

Here is a couple of good general guides. As you can see as others have noted, both specifically says duty to retreat is only outside your home.
    https://www.marylandcriminallawyer-blog.com/2013/09/09/stand-ground-law-maryland/
    http://statelaws.findlaw.com/maryland-law/maryland-self-defense-laws.html

Also Maryland only puts the burden of production of self defense, not the burden of proof of self defense on the defendant.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    I've been kicking this around for the last 2 months, I think I'll go with USCAA cause it seems affordable initially. The only one that I know of that won a large case was CCW Safe recently.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Hmm wonder what would be the best plan. Gold is gives me 50k in bail money and 100k for an attorney. I dont see a case needing more than 100k LOL

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I got this from Norton a long time ago. It is a jury instruction from a judge.

Note the judge's instructions that a defendant has no duty to retreat inside his own home.

You decide it's value.

Attachments

• MD castle doctrine.doc
      23 KB · Views: 170

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    I just signed up for platinum, I like USCAA it covers any weapons, even your fists. I'm now a lot more comfortable and satisfied with life knowing that if used a pencil or a tea cup to fend multiple criminals, I would be covered.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Yes, but Maryland currently has a requirement for a "duty to retreat" (see http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-law-basics/states-that-have-stand-your-ground-laws.html) so any past castle doctrine in Maryland is meaningless.

I hope you are not teaching people this in your class as it is absolutely incorrect. Inside your home there is NO duty to retreat and you can stand your ground. OUTSIDE your home you have a duty to retreat when you can SAFELY do so. Notice the word SAFELY.

EDIT: I see the answer has been given. Castle Doctrine is not a codified law but is a doctrine as it is called. Basically a rule established by adjudication in previous cases as I understand it. Maybe one of our presiding attorneys could clarify that if I am incorrect.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I hope you are not teaching people this in your class as it is absolutely incorrect. Inside your home there is NO duty to retreat and you can stand your ground. OUTSIDE your home you have a duty to retreat when you can SAFELY do so. Notice the word SAFELY.
    ^^ THIS!!!!!!!

Justice Cardozo fully approves of the above post.

As then-Judge (and later U.S. Supreme Court Justice) Benjamin Cardozo explained in 1914: "It is not now and never has been the law that a man assailed in his own dwelling is bound to retreat. If assailed there, he may stand his ground and resist the attack. He is under no duty to take to the fields and the highways, a fugitive from his own home."

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I woke up this morning with buyers regret. sigh

The CCW Safe appears to be the best available. Think I am doing the Protector plan for active and retired cops/Military with the civil liability coverage for $370. Hell, without the liability coverage, $149 for protector is a no brainer.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County

EDIT: I see the answer has been given. Castle Doctrine is not a codified law but is a doctrine as it is called. Basically a rule established by adjudication in previous cases as I understand it. Maybe one of our presiding attorneys could clarify that if I am incorrect.

I teach HQL and pistol marksmanship. Home defense is not included in either. If it was, I would have learned the nuances of it. This discussion has been helpful for my personal knowledge.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    The CCW Safe appears to be the best available. Think I am doing the Protector plan for active and retired cops/Military with the civil liability coverage for $370. Hell, without the liability coverage, $149 for protector is a no brainer.

I believe CCW Safe does not cover pencils.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom