• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    I am looking for a dedicated 22LR upper. I would like something with a free float handrail in the 12 to 15 inch range. I am open to recommendations for model and vendor. Thanks for any help.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Check with Engage Armament in Rockville. I just bought a Tactical Solutions . 22 upper from them. I'm sure they could help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MifflinKid

Dec 30, 2010
    Howard County
    I got one of these DPMS .22LR uppers a few months ago while on sale at MidwayUSA for $370. I put it on an Anderson lower I got from 2A Sales ($100). I used a CMMG LPK and an ALG QMS trigger group. The butt stock is a Tapco six position Mil Spec. The upper has a carrier made by Nordic or perhaps made in conjunction with Nordic or licensed from Nordic. At any rate, I've read it is similar to Nordic's version.

I mounted a Burris .22LR MSR scope on it with some Weaver-like rings.

On an average day I can keep multiple 10 shots in .75 inches at 50 yards shooting from a bench using CCI .22LR Tactical ammunition. One of my friends can do .5 inches easily but he is an experienced bench rest shooter with great eyes and an educated trigger finger.

Pablopac

pablopac
    Aug 7, 2012
    Chiappa has uppers and complete weapons as well. I have a upper from them, happy to et you ty it. Can't use hi velocity, only standard ammo.
    pablo

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    Threegun,
    Check gunbroker for upper, there is a guy on there who sells Plinker Tactical uppers. I picked up one new in box for 200.00 plus 30 to ship. It runs flawless. Plus the mags are set up for 10 or 25 rounds.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Best bet is to build your own. That way you don't have to replace parts on a complete upper you don't want. The best parts come from Taccom. They also have parts to upgrade things that have issues with even the TacSol uppers. If you have a spare stripped upper laying around all you need is a CMMG bolt kit, a barrel and a charging handle. Most uppers do not come free float, they usually use an M-16 handguard and Delta ring. If you check on AR15.com you will find that the Taccom barrels generally get the nod as the most accurate.
    I have no relationship with Taccom but I do use their parts in one of my AR .22 uppers after using other brands.

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    Thanks to all.
    I am leaning towards the DPMS Bull Barrel with the free float hand guard. The hand guard is a little shorter then I like , but I can live with it. The bolt looks simple and efficient. Any comments from other DPMS owners? Please excuse my ignorance, can a Bull Barrel be modified to take a suppressor?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Thanks to all.
    I am leaning towards the DPMS Bull Barrel with the free float hand guard. The hand guard is a little shorter then I like , but I can live with it. The bolt looks simple and efficient. Any comments from other DPMS owners? Please excuse my ignorance, can a Bull Barrel be modified to take a suppressor?
    All you need for a suppressor is a threaded barrel. Barrel diameter is not generally a limitation as they go on the end of the barrel. As long as it has a flashhider you can take it off and mount a suppressor (and after you jump thru the Fed hoops and give them $200).

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I've owned 2: a .22LR Tactical Solutions upper and a 22LR CMMG upper. The Tacsol was a nightmare, (after 2 trips back to tacsol for repair, it went on gunbroker), and the CMMG was great, even with a Wilson Combat trigger and subsonics. The CMMG is even left-handed, so I'm really happy with it.

Before and after of the CMMG 22LR (it's set up to match my 3 Gun AR):

e47e2c5a-362e-4bf0-ae7d-3f12d3a8fefb_zpsbdd292bc.jpg

3ab21f27-5d76-459c-a958-3bdfef3292a2_zps3ad77577.jpg

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I'd love to have a dedicated .22 AR but golly damn, for about half what it costs to build one you can get a really nice and reliable 10/22. For me it doesn't make sense unless I can get a good deal on a used one or something. Not hating on them, just expressing sticker shock.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I love my CMMG dedicated upper. I've also had really good luck with my 1990's vintage Ciener 22 conversion kit. Both run great with Black Dog machine mags.

2ndltsdad

Nov 19, 2014
    Trappe... not Lakeside !
    so I guess my question would be: if it's a dedicated 22lr upper, unless your shooting in competition, how come you wouldnt just look at something like a s/w m&p 15?
    I know I get the fact that you can change up the trigger set and such in a ar lower but cost s a lot less and you have just as much fun... my 2cw

threegun

Jan 26, 2013
    Westminster
    so I guess my question would be: if it's a dedicated 22lr upper, unless your shooting in competition, how come you wouldnt just look at something like a s/w m&p 15?
    I know I get the fact that you can change up the trigger set and such in a ar lower but cost s a lot less and you have just as much fun... my 2cw

Your point is well taken, If I was starting from scratch I might have gone that route. I have one ar-15 that I shoot at the range. I have several lowers with geissele SSA-E triggers that I bought before 10/1. I thought I would put a 22 upper on one of the extra lowers to shoot in the back yard. I usually only shoot 22s at my little home range. The 22 would have the same trigger and over all weight as the ar-15. The ammo would cost less and the noise level would be less irritating to the neighbors. I found the upper for about $360 not to much more then a 10/22 and less then a S&W M&P 15-22. I also had 3 25 round CMMG mags sitting around that would work on the new 22 upper and the lowers I already had. I don't think they work in the M&P 15-22. I have a marlin rifle and a 22 hand gun, I just wanted something in the modern sporting rifle format.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    As someone who has all three I can give you some info. Most believe that the S&W 15-22 is the most reliable (I have 2) and I agree. But after a decent trigger and some other parts you will have around $800 in it if you want to use it for speed shooting or as a .22 trainer. Most believe the Ruger 10/22 is the fastest shooting one. While I didn't believe it prior to owning one (I have 2 of these) now I do. If you build it from scratch it will still cost you around $800 or more for speed shooting. Most believe a dedicated .22 AR is somewhere in the middle. I think it can be very close to the 10/22 (I have 1 of these). More accurate than at least the 15-22 for sure but could cost slightly more than a 15-22 with similar parts on it. You can use the same triggers in both the 15-22 and the AR-22, and lots of the same other AR parts. You can get an adapter to use 15-22 mags in the AR-22 but not the other way around.

3gunnut

Sep 10, 2014
    I run the TACSOL M4 upper and is is AWESOME ... runs like a champ. Best part is, it is "mil-spec" and accepts any AR add on you want ... I added a MI SSGen 2 hand guard and SJC Titan Rimfire muzzle device.

My 22LR AR has the look and feel of a real AR

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom