• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I heard of people dropping these guns and breaking the grip panels, so I bought the rubberized grips. Even though they don't add to the bulk of the gun, I don't quite like them as well as the plastic grips.

The 59/659 don't fit many hands, but like I said, they fit my hands like they were made for them. I have a 659 and a 5906, but I like the 659 better. I also like the looks of the 659 a bit more as well. Also, when you love a gun you don't mind the weight. I keep waiting for Maryland to ban the 14-20 round magazines, but as long as they're grandfathered, I'm set okay.

The Democrats want to ban all semi-autos, regardless of magazine capacity. I love the fact that they want to buy "back" our guns with our own money. Sometimes I fell like I'm a player in the theater of the absurd.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My 469 was an unusual exception to the rule . It felt better in the actual shooting of it , than in simply holding . The DA pull was medium-ish . Nothing to make P series Sig envious , but usable enough . But then the 469 was transitional , and had trigger mechanism geometry similar to the 3rd Gen guns, rather than the other 2nd Gen .

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    My 59 was nickel plated. It was very reliable. My older shooting friend said it was surprisingly accurate, beating the standard of placing the rounds in a wash tub. He said I could load it on Friday and shoot all weekend.

There is a 59 at Baltimore's Best Pawn and at Continental presently.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I pray my wife never sees your offer! :lol::lol2:
    I'm afraid my wife will give my guns away in the same manner. She hates them.

My 59 was nickel plated. It was very reliable. There is a 59 at Baltimore's Best Pawn and at Continental presently.
    How much is the 59, and what shape is it in? Is it nickel or blued? The first f few batches of Model 59s weren't reliable. They gave rise to the term "Jam-o-matic. When I wanted one, people warned me to steer clear of the 59. " They make great revolvers," I was told, "but lousy autos." I sure wanted one, though. :thumbsup:

--

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    I never owned one but always wanted something in the 59/69 series. The Marlin Camp 9 carbine shares magazines with them and I thought that was a neat combo.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I'd always wanted a nickel 59, but was put off by the lack of reliability issues that plagued the first guns. I recently dug out some of my pistols and found that I had two 659s, a 5906, my 645, 6906 and a 3906! Didn't recall that I had two 659s. I have enough to shoot a remake of Reservoir Dogs!

When I looked at my 659s, I thought maybe I'd send one to Mahovsky's and have them nickel plate it. You know, that shiny reflective nickel. What do you think? How durable is bright nickel? It has stainless steel underneath, so it ought to be a looker. I wonder if that would boost the value of the gun, not that I'd want to sell it. A nickel 659.

S&W 659 and 5906 (top).

python

Apr 15, 2010
    With the exception of the models 41 and 52, I'm not a fan of any S&W seni-autos, but it's refreshing to see a discussion that doesn't include anything made out of plastic.

Last edited:

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    S&W 659: A Classic!

Was looking to buy a friends Beretta and when he pulled it out of the safe he said he also would like to sell his Smith 659. Wow, it really fit my hands and it's in such great shape I started to really like it. Simple search here and came across this thread. I noticed on Gunbroker there aren't really any bids on the few that are listed. I don't really need another 9mm but now I want it too! Would love to hear if there are any reliability issues with them or any other tidbits.

Edit : I went for it and decided to buy it !

Last edited:

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    S&W 659: A Classic!

I never owned one but always wanted something in the 59/69 series. The Marlin Camp 9 carbine shares magazines with them and I thought that was a neat combo.

That’s useful info thanks! But wow the prices on a camp 9 on Gunbroker are sky high !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    With the exception of the models 41 and 52, I'm not a fan of any S&W seni-autos, but it's refreshing to see a discussion that doesn't include anything made out of plastic.

Amen, a Glock 22 and a Kel-Tec PF-9 are the the only Polymer handguns I own.

:)

N3uka

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2013
    College Park
    Cool revisit to the thread. Reminded me that I purchased two 5906's from a friend several years ago that needed a financial boost. One he carried and one that is still new in box to this day. Will have to bring the used one next trip to range.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I do remember that the 59 didn't share the reputation of the model 645 above in that hollow points were a dubious proposition at best. I have to give the 59 credit in that it was the first "wonder nine."... The 745 was two tone and had NRA logo engraved in it, I can't remember if it was a special factory model or a promotional done by the NRA without S&W. I just remember that the 745 could easily outshoot the new Colt Gold Cup Trophy model.

S&W 645

The 645 was a great .45 pistol, and they will feed empty .45 cases all day long as long as they're sized. I've never seen any auto pistol do that. And yes, they're dead on accurate, though I never had a Gold Cup to compare it with.

I also have a S&W 457 that's a good drawer gun.

S&W 457, a bare-bones .45 auto.

The S&W 59 I can't say was the first "Wonder Nine" in that I think to qualify for that title, it has to be ultra-reliable, and I heard too many complaints that the 59 had feeding problems. I wanted a nickel-plated 59 very much when they were available; however, people described them as "jammomatics" and told me to stick with S&W revolvers. I'd have to say the first Wonder Nine was the Browning Hi-Power. Most of them will pop 9mm JHP ammo out all day long as long as their ramps are polished.

Browning Hi-Power

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I have a 4566 it’s my house Gun and occasional carry gun. My God it’s heavy to carry
    Aw, suck it up man! Do you think Gen.Patton complained about the weight of his gun? No! He carried it into battle and...okay, so he never actually killed anyone, but he looked cool and those German toadies knew he meant business! And do you think Gen. Douglas MacArthur complained about carrying his Cult .45 automatic? Well, no, because he didn't carry one. But if he had, he wouldn't have complained! And his air force general was going to carry one when they landed their plane in Japan, but MaArthur shamed him by asking him how he planned on using it if the Japanese resorted to treachery. So Gen. Kenny left it on the plane. But he wouldn't have complained had he carried it!

So carry your 4566 with pride, and if you go down in a hail of bullets, thank the good Lord you didn't go down clutching one of those cheap, plastic striker-fire pieces of crap!

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC
    Well since I resurrected the post I owe some pics now that I picked up the 659.

da0f84a77288c50873f0fd13bba0e39f.plist
    b520ebb65a51070990c860a92e0b8da9.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom