• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Inheritance to next of kin, legal.

Inheritance to ANYONE named in a will is perfectly legal.

To your second point - Also yes. The upper would either have to go on a pistol configuration in Maryland or be sold to someone out of state.

The upper could also be sold to a Maryland Resident, there is nothing in state law that prohibits it being bought, sold or transferred to a Maryland resident.

The lower would then be restricted to an HBAR upper and only an HBAR (assuming lower stays in MD). It cannot be made into a pistol. One could register it as an SBR though, but any upper attached must have a barrel under 16 inches.

But for me, if I had any preban lowers I would treat them like heirlooms! They'd never EVER leave my personal collection.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Perfectly legal to sell the lower cash and carry as a separate item on it's own regardless of how it was purchased.
    No. AR-15 lower is associated with enumerated weapon and could only be legally sold in MD via an e77r through an FFL or MD state Police barracks with 7 day wait. No different than selling a handgun but buyer would not need an HQL. It is not cash and carry like a complete rifle with an HBAR. If you think I am wrong, then call in to MSP Firearms branch and ask.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That's actually two different things .

The current MSP * Policy * is somthing they invented out of thin air , with zero basis in statute or case law .
    Nobody has ever been charged for that , and nothing currently able to be charged with .

So both Dblas and Hit & Run are correct depending if the question is : What is the Law ? Or What is current MSP sugguested procedure ?

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    That's actually two different things .

The current MSP * Policy * is somthing they invented out of thin air , with zero basis in statute or case law .
    Nobody has ever been charged for that , and nothing currently able to be charged with .

So both Dblas and Hit & Run are correct depending if the question is : What is the Law ? Or What is current MSP sugguested procedure ?
    I'm always going with MSP. They would be ones to charge you with a crime. You might be right, bit lawyering up isn't cheap.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    MSP "invented" there rules for a reason and now they even have ATF circular covering it as well.

Cite for the ATF memo please?

And rules are NOT law, so if there is no charging portion in state law, what would they arrest you for? No, MSP, has been caught stretching their authority before and this is just more of the same. It is meant to get people to comply with non existent laws by fear and intimidation, by betting that the citizen sheep will not, or do not know how to research the actual state statutes.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Captured and covered in this thread

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...6&share_fid=5618&share_type=t&link_source=app

Trouble buying .308 Lower Receiver in 2020

I am fully aware of that thread and the original thread mentioned in it. I am also aware of the mis-communication between MSP and ATF on the receiver/frame issue, which has been clarified and corrected.

In the above instance though, the receiver would have to be sold as a rifle, since it was originally built as a rifle, and would have to be transferred as such, and not other.

It only affects the sale/transfer of receivers/frames that have not been built out yet and can still be transferred as other. No were in that memo from MSP, are the transfer of rifles (which the lower would be considered at this point) mentioned at all.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    I am fully aware of that thread and the original thread mentioned in it. I am also aware of the mis-communication between MSP and ATF on the receiver/frame issue, which has been clarified and corrected.

In the above instance though, the receiver would have to be sold as a rifle, since it was originally built as a rifle, and would have to be transferred as such, and not other.

It only affects the sale/transfer of receivers/frames that have not been built out yet and can still be transferred as other. No were in that memo from MSP, are the transfer of rifles (which the lower would be considered at this point) mentioned at all.
    The discussion here was selling lower only of a item sold as pre-ban AR rifle. So selling an AR-15 lower is a process today that requires an e77r. ATF original guidance on this said all lowers. That was pushed back on and further guidance just back to lowers from previous enumerated rifles. So, issue still comes down to selling an AR-15 lower.

If you want too sell a lower that has been previously (pre ban) sold to you via state process without following MSP rules have at it. I would recommend against it. Selling it via State process covers any wrong conclusions for any future incidents that might come up.

I also think you risk MSP acting on sale via arrest, warranted or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom