Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old January 21st, 2020, 08:52 AM #11

Here is the link - https://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm

Here is the relevant portion:

Quote:
The A-Square Company conducted pressure tests involving six different primers. These tests used the 7mm Remington Magnum cartridge with a 160 grain Sierra BT bullet and 66.0 grains of H4831 powder and the results were reported in the A-Square reloading manual Any Shot You Want. A-Square used CCI 200 and 250, Federal 215, Remington 9 1/2M, and Winchester WLRM and WLR primers in these tests. They revealed a total spread in pressure of 12,800 psi from the mildest standard (the CCI 200) to the hottest magnum (WLRM) primer tested.
A later comment from that thread stated - "For IMR4831, that A-Square number represents about a 5.7% increase in powder charge."

Would you jump a powder charge by 6% in one step?????

If you know, OCW that is two accuracy node levels above your current load.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 06:04 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postell View Post
I load a few thousand 300 Win Mag rounds each year, Only one load uses a mag primer.
Please post the data that shows what you are posting please.
Wow, a few thousand per year? What are you seeing for barrel life. Let me look for links, but most of my books are packed away that show this.

However your few thousand a year comment leaves me scratching my head as much as mine does yours. While I'm looking up the links, I'd like to hear more about the type of shooting your doing that allows you to shoot a big boomer that much.

But think about this, other posters said switching from a standard primer to a mag without working up is foolish because pressures, then that collaborate than standard primers are LOWER pressures loads if powder charge, bullet, chamber, and internal volume are the same.
Park ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 06:13 PM #13

cartridges based upon that cartridge case.*

Within each are standard and magnum primers. Standard primers are for cartridges of moderate capacity and velocity. The powders in these cartridges readily ignite. Many magnum cartridges used large charges of very slow burning powders that can be difficult to ignite, especially in colder weather. These cartridges utilize a magnum primer with a more explosive priming compound that generates a hotter and more voluminous fire.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...asics-primers/

And here people are discussing hang fires with big magnums in cold weather just like what happens to some palma shooters in colder weather with small rifle primers with only 46 grains of varget, like I said earlier.

https://forum.nosler.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1651

Another good article

https://ozgunlobby.com/t/choosing-the-right-primer/720
Park ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 06:27 PM #14
Eqinsu Ocha

Eqinsu Ocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
for reference
That's neat. I don't fully understand the significance of the numbers, other than for comparison, but I'm surprised how little difference there is between rifle and rifle mag (on both sizes).

"Dear autocorrect: I'm really getting tired of your shirt!"

I would like to change my gender identity to "Well Regulated Militia."
Art3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 11:30 PM #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art3 View Post
That's neat. I don't fully understand the significance of the numbers, other than for comparison, but I'm surprised how little difference there is between rifle and rifle mag (on both sizes).
That does not matter.

What matters is the possible pressure increase when switching primers.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 12:36 AM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park ranger View Post
Wow, a few thousand per year? What are you seeing for barrel life. Let me look for links, but most of my books are packed away that show this.

However your few thousand a year comment leaves me scratching my head as much as mine does yours. While I'm looking up the links, I'd like to hear more about the type of shooting your doing that allows you to shoot a big boomer that much.

But think about this, other posters said switching from a standard primer to a mag without working up is foolish because pressures, then that collaborate than standard primers are LOWER pressures loads if powder charge, bullet, chamber, and internal volume are the same.
I'm not scratching my head at all with what you posted, I just have never seen it with my 40+ years of reloading for 300 win, thats why i'm asking for data.
I shoot a bunch with two other ya ya's at a couple of over 1,000 yd clubs and one a few hours away in Ky thats 1,650. I can get past 1,000 at my weekend place in southern IN. When we all have time we hit the F Class matches within 150 miles of so, two of us are business owners.
I use sierra 190's in Fed Mil cases pushed with a standard Fed 210 and a compressed over manual load, I am also an avid Quickload user.
I shoot two old Rem 700PSS's and a 700 single shot 40X short action sitting in a McMillian.
All get rebarreled at the most every two-three years with the throats being trash by then.
Postell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2020, 09:29 PM #17

Primers have been a PIA for me.

I had a 6.5 Rem Mag that I tried the Nosler recommended powder Reloader-19. I got hang fires with CCI and Remington LR primers. Winchester LR primers (silver ones) and CCI Magnum did fine. I then developed a load for it with (now discontinued) AA-3100 powder using the Winchester LR primers (silver ones). I ran out of those primers and switched to the new Winchester LR primers (brass colored ones). I tested the load, with the new primers and it was safe in this rifle. So I loaded about 600 rounds. I also loaded about 200 .30-06 with these primers.

Halfway through an F-class match I start blowing primers left and right. Turns out that these primers were defective. Skirts were blowing out. Had to pull almost 500 bullets, dump the powder, reprime, and reload. Had the same problem with the .30-06 loads. Switched to magnum CCI in the 6.5 RM and regular CCI primers in the 06 without further issue.

On the other hand, I had a 7mm Rem Mag 40X that I used AA-3100 with CCI Bench rest primers. I tested them at 600 yards the magnum CCI and regular CCI LR primers loads were within one MOA. I just kept using the BR2. Shot it out to 1,200 yards, but never below 32 degrees. When I would experiment with other powders I always used a magnum primer.

But if in doubt with a .300 WM use a magnum primer.

Good Luck

Jerry
Jerry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2020, 10:44 AM #18
Registered Grendelophile

Registered Grendelophile

Interesting Update

Yesterday, I took some hand loads up to Moorvogi's farm and ToolAA was still there from the morning session. My go-to 6.5 Grendel load is as follows: Hornady brass, Midsouth 100gr Match Monster/Nosler Custom Comp, 30.2gr 8208XBR, and CCI small rifle magnum primers, 2.20" OAL
I also made a dozen matching rounds, but used CCI small rifle (not magnum) primers.
We ran these past ToolAA's Kestrel Lab Radar and the rounds with magnum primers averaged ~50fps slower than the rounds with standard primers. I have no idea whether there was a pressure difference, but there was a clear difference in velocity. The three of us all witnessed this and were scratching our heads. We expected the opposite.

ETA- 10rds of each primer were chronographed, so it was a legitimate observation.
Old February 2nd, 2020, 11:15 AM #19

Counterintuitive I know. But it would seem that the higher brisance primer, when detonated in combination with this particular powder, is affecting the resulting peak pressure or the pressure curve in such a way that it actually reduces velocity. As you mention, you have no way of measuring pressure. The "why" thus remains a matter of speculation. But arguably another reason to stick with industry published recommendations IMO, as they can indeed make those measurements.

As an aside, I have documented (infrequent) instances of this phenomenon occuring with increases in powder charges as well, where one would expect the exact opposite.
Uncle Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2020, 11:53 AM #20

Primer charging is done by a skilled worker who squeegees and smears the still wet priming compound onto a perforated sheet. I could see where some inconsistencies could result from the entire sheet not being smeared the same way every time before the cups and foil and anvils are finally booked together then allowed to dry.
Doco Overboard is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading