YOU are behind enemy lines now VA...now what do we do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    It doesn’t help that Republican candidates say that they want smaller government but then say we need laws to outlaw things like sodomy. It is so laughably hypocritical that it is no wonder that Republicans keep losing.

If you say you want a small non intrusive government you actually have to mean it or else people won’t take you seriously. Until the Republican party can drop the social conservatism attitude I can only expect more of the same.

^^^^^^^UHHHHH...THIS^^^^^

11b10

Jun 15, 2010
    Union Bridge, MD
    Complete and total utter bullsh*t

You had better wake up the changes and demographics of the country; the culture wars are essentially over. (except for the lunatic fringe) You can not win a national election with a Rick Santourm ect. Who cares what consenting adults do, the religious right is dragging the republican party down. I would rather get 70% of some than nothing. Actually the 2nd amendment is ranking higher - that people support it in polls over the years nationally, while social issues only resonate with enough people that you can't win a national election.

11b10

Jun 15, 2010
    Union Bridge, MD
    Social conservatism did not work for Ronald Reagan. Oh no, wait a minute, he won by a landslide, twice.

That was 30 years ago..... things have changed, people don't hate the gay like they used to (except some people). Each year more people are ambivalent about this topic. It is a losing proposition in a national election.

The Republicans are shooting themselves in the foot over abortion. I personally know a lot of women who are solidly onboard with the fiscal conservatism and smaller gov't messages, but are totally opposed to the no abortion ever under any circumstances position. My wife's one of them, even though she votes Republican. If the GOP continues to make this a litmus test, it won't regain the Presidency.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Virginia, you are now a part of the gun-owners concencentration camp. It's only a matter of time before the rifles are outlawed and the magazines are limited. What's the plan now? I had hopes of moving to VA to bask in the "free" sun. NOW-not so much. The questions I have are 1. Where was the NRA? 2. Can't Republicans see that they have to pick better candidates? 3. What's going to happen if this guy gets more than one term?....balls-to-the-wall GUN CONTROL.
    4. Do Republicans not realize that if they don't go "Pro-Choice" that the party will probably cease to exist because of a large female population? We are already well screwed here in MD because Republicans won't wake up. Is this the new trend?

Ugh, so much wrong here I hope I get get through it without getting a migraine.

1. The NRA is only one group, and in VA they were very active, we didn't see it because their name tagged to anything in NOVA would have had collateral damage.

2. You're right, but not in the way you think. The "Republican" candidate lost in the primaries, so the RNC picked up their ball and went home. They spent 1/3 the amount they spent 4 years ago when McDonnell ran (and won).

3. VA Governors are limited to no back-to-back terms.

4. Yes, let's just turn our heads and let innocent, defenseless children continue to be slaughtered because it's politically expedient. It's not a political issue, it's a human rights issue. The woman had a choice prior to becoming pregnant (unless it was rape, and that's a completely different issue).

obnoxious2

Jan 18, 2013
    district 21 - hunger games
    Maybe if the republicans would stop shooting themselves in the foot with their "high moral values". I know plenty of people who's ideology would make them repub but because of issues like abortion and gay rights they will vote for democrat

randian

Jan 13, 2012
    I know plenty of people who's ideology would make them repub but because of issues like abortion and gay rights they will vote for democrat
    Useless advice. I know of no Democrat voters who, if the Republican said "abortions for free any time you want one" and "superior rights for gays", would change their vote to Republican. None.

I know of many Democrats who think that the Federal shutdown problems are the fault of the Republicans, not Obama who ordered how the shutdown was to be done. A true triumph of propaganda over fact.

PO2012

Oct 24, 2013
    Who cares what consenting adults do, the religious right is dragging the republican party down.

I care because those consenting adults you speak of are able to vote the same as you or I. The trouble is that drug addicts and drug abusers, alcoholics, whores and degenerate gamblers are slaves to their respective vices. Making an informed decision on election day isn't high on their list of priorities. These folks are easily misled, easily bribed and just as easily kept in their place by career politicians. If you think that you can have a functioning Constitutional Republic when the majority of the population is obsessed with vice think again. The Founders made it clear that our system of government was designed for a moral people and fit for no other.

Baltimore City is the poster child for consenting adults in action. Dope and coke flow like water, prostitutes are easy to come by, alcoholism is rampant, illegitimate children run the streets at 2 AM as though it were normal and probation before judgment is the sanction of choice for criminal behavior. If the choices consenting adults make didn't matter and didn't affect others Baltimore City would be just as safe and peaceful as it was in 1950. Unfortunately choices have consequences. Degenerates tend not to care about their liberties so long as they can continue to wallow in their own filth. I've known more than a few individuals personally who were committed to personal liberty until vice creeped in. After that they were indifferent or hostile toward freedom.

Long1MD

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2013
    Too far gone
    The female vote played more of a role in this than the polls will admit. As another member here stated, and from women that I have spoken to, the abortion issue caused them to vote Dem this time. They liken it to someone telling us NO MORE AR-15's. They may not be running out to all have abortions, but they don't want to be told that they can't. I'm not sure how much gay rights played, but like it or not, the gay community is here to stay and they hold offices. As far as abortion is concerned, women will find a way to have them legally or illegally. I would rather abortions be done in a steril environment by a trained professional.
    At this point I believe that the only Republicans that will stand the test of time will be those who are not so Fire-and-Brimstone to the right. That brings up another point. If we could get an Independent that would be the best of both worlds, that would be great. Unfortunately, in this country, you have to be Dem or Repub to win a Presidential Election. I personally have a hard time voting for either in the past few elections. I have spoken with many hispanics that I have worked with. They are actually Republican because of their moral beliefs, but the Republicans (to the right again) give the angry, non tolerant face to them. Again, if staunch Repubs would stop and listen, they would actually gain voters by working out a compromise in the immigration arena.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Small Government+Personal Freedom=Republican Win

Although to be fair, they do have a Republican majority in both houses.

What a shame its only a win for republicans. I mean imagine what would happen if democrats tried it as well :)

I think we should demand that democrats start acting the way some people think the republicans should..

How do we do that again ? :)

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Maybe if the republicans would stop shooting themselves in the foot with their "high moral values". I know plenty of people who's ideology would make them repub but because of issues like abortion and gay rights they will vote for democrat

Then maybe you should lecture the democrats to be more like republications.. you know limited government fiscal restraint ... good luck with that BTW.

RightNYer

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2013
    Anyone who thinks that the gay lobby as a whole, just wants to be left alone is deluding himself. They don't want to be left alone, they want acceptance, and they'll stop at nothing to get that, or to silence the remaining people who oppose.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    The Republicans are shooting themselves in the foot over abortion. I personally know a lot of women who are solidly onboard with the fiscal conservatism and smaller gov't messages, but are totally opposed to the no abortion ever under any circumstances position. My wife's one of them, even though she votes Republican. If the GOP continues to make this a litmus test, it won't regain the Presidency.

You do know the court has ruled right? And the Senate is democratic right? And there are 3 branches of government ( I mean when the president honors the constitution of course :) )

Oh well ... :) good luck with the hyper inflation --

Last edited:

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    I think you are doing to them what liberals do to gun owners. You’re picking out some bad apples and using them as an excuse to be against a whole group of people. If people would leave gays alone (Stop harassing them, calling them sinners, abominations, and comparing their marriage to bestiality) and just let them get married like anyone else they wouldn’t have to push an agenda. They are people just like you and me. Golden rule here, I don’t want people harassing me so I don’t harass others. Just say nice things or don’t say anything at all. The golden rule is still conservative, is it not…Oh, I guess it is not…
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4UnkyNJGmw

And in terms of that business that got shut down. I consider that the free market at work. If they won’t serve gays and that makes people angry it is the people’s prerogative to vote with their dollars and not buy from the business.

First bold - Where is that cake cartoon about gun ownership? So likewise, we should have no NFA/etc/etc and they should just let us have our guns, any way we want them and WE wouldn't have to push an agenda as well right?

Second bold - skipped that whole part about the shop receiving death threats did ya? If an openly gay shop received death threats and shut their doors, Holder would be investigating it as a hate crime, but because they were a religious conservative shop, it was open season.

I'm sorry but I live my life according to His will and if you are doing something that goes against that, don't ever expect me to accept you. I don't see how a person can say they are gay and religious in the same breath. It is all or nothing, you don't get to pick and choose which parts of the Bible you agree with and ignore the other parts. Along those same lines, murder is murder, whether you are 9 weeks old or 90 years old.

Most recently I saw a story on the news last night about wanting to lower the abortion restriction to 20 weeks I think. Pro-choice groups say there is no scientific evidence that a fetus (they don't want to call it a human cause then it would be murder) can feel pain at 20 weeks so abortion should still be legal. Guess what folks, only the unborn baby can tell you if that hurts or not, just like the death-row inmante who gets sleepy time before getting the toxin. Yet we wan't to ban the death sentence because there is no proof the criminal doesn't feel pain. Behold the circular reasoning of the liberal's anti-logic.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    And there is the next problem, many conservatives are still living in the past. It is no longer 1776 nor is it 1980. Bill Clinton, a Democrat, signed the Defense of Marriage Act in 1996. If a Democrat did that today they would be ostracized from the party. Democrats have learned and adapted to the current times and electorate opinions. Republicans are no different, they can’t hold on to things that are opposed by the majority just because it worked 30 years ago. How many people that voted for Reagan are even still alive today? The demographics are completely different and they are showing in the loss after loss of Republicans.

What is more important to you, stopping gay people from marrying or keeping your second amendment right? Gay people marrying will not affect your life in any possible way (Unless you are a gay person that wants to get married I guess) but I bet that having your guns and magazines being restricted/taken away will change your life in quite a big way. Just think about that the next time a primary rolls around and you have a choice between a homophobic Republican or a pro gay Republican.

Many of us conservatives are still living in the past. We vote. Many of us and we vote. Think about that for a minute. I am only 47 years old and I voted for Reagan. There are many of us still alive. We that are old enough to have voted for Reagan are probably the largest voting block. You state that it is no longer 1776. 1776 is the era that the Second Amendment is from. If, by your logic, my silly ideas from the 1980's are no longer valid, the silly ideas of the 1770's are really outdated. The Second Amendment should be replaced with something more modern and less conservative. This is where your type of thinking leads to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom