• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Did you get the email because you did an online request, or did you go to MSP and fill something out, and that's why you got the email?

Thank you. :thumbsup:

I filed online and got the email. I paid in person, but had to make an appointment to pick up the documents next door. I will be picking them up Friday (work hours vs. Licensing hours)

BL4CKL4B

Feb 10, 2017
    I started a thread on Arfcom to raise awareness. It doesn't stay active for long periods of time. Please contribute so that the thread stays alive and draws more attention.

ArfCom Link

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    No evidence weapons bans impact mass shootings, From Bloomturd school itself:
    Yeah, but that was after the normal-cap mag bans were accounted for. What they're basically saying is that removing all mags > 10rds is what accounted for all of the reduction. That's a win for us, but I dunno if we want to promote that study too heavily.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Yeah, but that was after the normal-cap mag bans were accounted for. What they're basically saying is that removing all mags > 10rds is what accounted for all of the reduction. That's a win for us, but I dunno if we want to promote that study too heavily.

Meh. Correlation doesn’t indicate causality. Look at VA Tech. 2 handguns, one a .22. Almost all 10 round magazines. The guy with the gun in a gun free zone is God.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Did you guys mail in the payment first?

:confused:

I'm still not sure why Squaregrouper had to pay for his records. From all indications of the email I received in response when I went through the MSP portal, it was remarked that there was no charge for the records.

I will find out tomorrow for sure; since I'm heading to Pikesville to pick up my records via appointment.

I filed online and got the email. I paid in person, but had to make an appointment to pick up the documents next door. I will be picking them up Friday (work hours vs. Licensing hours)

How long did take to get a response?

<48hrs.
    I met in person and explained my concern (not having full records of pistols and stripped lower sold out of state). He said they are getting a lot of these requests recently.
    Both people I dealt with were very polite and professional.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    This is what i received a little while ago:

Please be advised that the Maryland State Police has located records that pertain to your request submitted February 13, 2020, under the Public Information Act (Annotated Code of Maryland, General Provisions Article §§ 4-101 through 4-601).
    Note that the Maryland State Police charges a fee for copies of records at the rate of 25 cents per page, 15 dollars per audio recording and 25 dollars per video recording. There is also a fee charged for the search, collection and redaction of all applicable information at a rate equal to the hourly pay of the employee(s) working to fulfill the request (first two hours gratis). As such, the fee in this matter is as follows:

Payment must be made before the requested information can be released. You may make the check or money order payable to the Maryland State Police. Please note the PIA number on your payment. Payment should be mailed to:

Maryland State Police

1201 Reisterstown Road

Pikesville, MD 21208

Attn: 02 P&R PIA

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I'll bring my checkbook tomorrow with me if necessary.

Just another quick question though. For those of you using the web form from the MSP to request your records and incurring payment of such, are you choosing option four below?

Requester's Information:

This request is for:

• A Maryland State Police report (such as an Incident Report, DUI Report, etc.) or photographs.
    • A Maryland State Police Detailed Crash Investigation Report (these reports are only completed for fatal and potentially fatal crashes).
    • Information​ maintained by the Maryland State Police Licensing Division
    • Other information that is in the custody of the Maryland State Police.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Pages/PublicInformationRequest.aspx

I'll bring my checkbook tomorrow with me if necessary.

Just another quick question though. For those of you using the web form from the MSP to request your records and incurring payment of such, are you choosing option four below?

Requester's Information:

This request is for:

• A Maryland State Police report (such as an Incident Report, DUI Report, etc.) or photographs.
    • A Maryland State Police Detailed Crash Investigation Report (these reports are only completed for fatal and potentially fatal crashes).
    • Information​ maintained by the Maryland State Police Licensing Division
    • Other information that is in the custody of the Maryland State Police.

https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Pages/PublicInformationRequest.aspx

This is what I (and others) had to pay for.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    This is what I (and others) had to pay for.

Hmmm. I selected option four and received the response that no fee would be charged.

However... I just returned from the MSP in Pikesville with my report. Went to the licensing division there and picked it up, in a sealed envelope. After examining my driver's license, a Trooper gave it to me.

Just at home and opening it up, someone wrote .75 cents on the cover page (copy of my email to them). But I was not asked for it when I picked up my packet. I guess I owe the state of Maryland .75 cents.

So this firearms file is pulled from their CJIS - Passport database. It's a raw data printout. Each page has three sections;

a. Personal identification information (Address, License, Biometrics, ect)
    b. Application Information (Dealer, info, Date/Type of transfer/etc)
    c. Gun Information (Make/Type/Caliber/Serial/Shell casing rcvd Y/N/etc)

Other coded data is present in the sections of each each page. Some of it is understandable, other stuff is for those whom need to know I wager.

All of the firearms in my file were "not disapproved" on past 77R's. This is a good report to have on hand, since it officially records the date you purchased/had the firearm transferred to you; very important for pre-FSA 2013 purchases.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Hmmm. I selected option four and received the response that no fee would be charged.
    I selected option four, and I received the email sundazes did below.

Seems like MSP is continuing its 'make it up as we go along' policy.

This is what i received a little while ago:

Please be advised that the Maryland State Police has located records that pertain to your request submitted February 13, 2020, under the Public Information Act (Annotated Code of Maryland, General Provisions Article §§ 4-101 through 4-601).
    Note that the Maryland State Police charges a fee for copies of records at the rate of 25 cents per page, 15 dollars per audio recording and 25 dollars per video recording. There is also a fee charged for the search, collection and redaction of all applicable information at a rate equal to the hourly pay of the employee(s) working to fulfill the request (first two hours gratis). As such, the fee in this matter is as follows:

Payment must be made before the requested information can be released. You may make the check or money order payable to the Maryland State Police. Please note the PIA number on your payment. Payment should be mailed to:

Maryland State Police

1201 Reisterstown Road

Pikesville, MD 21208

Attn: 02 P&R PIA

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Ask for the fees to be waived in the public interest, as you intend to use the information in your testimony before the MD legislature and in communication with the governor.

Or if you make less than 50% of the state's median income, ask for a waiver based on being indigent.

MD Public Information Act manual 14th edition, October 2015.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    The crown keeps records on firearms that are/were sold as 'regulated' aka 77R in the state. Anything else is retained at the dealer level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom