• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Had a successful hunt this morning at elk neck. Making some stew tonight, wood's where loaded with squirrel, got to see a beautiful sunrise and breath in the fresh forest air

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    My dog saw a squirrel trying to get in the recycle bin. Chased it to the neighbors yard where the squirrel jumped a 6 foot feet. I had to call the dog back and praise him. Does that count.:innocent0

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    My dog saw a squirrel trying to get in the recycle bin. Chased it to the neighbors yard where the squirrel jumped a 6 foot feet. I had to call the dog back and praise him. Does that count.:innocent0
    I would say so

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’ve been wishing Potapsco allowed squirrel hunting. A couple of times now if I had a field point and one of my crappy arrows there’d be one less squirrel hanging on to a tree across from me and barking it’s little head off at me.

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    I’ve been wishing Potapsco allowed squirrel hunting. A couple of times now if I had a field point and one of my crappy arrows there’d be one less squirrel hanging on to a tree across from me and barking it’s little head off at me.
    Yes its a shame that some of the boe hunting areaa around baltimore don't allow small game hunting
    Pretty boy does I think? But archery only.

I live right near towson so if I wanf to hunt with my 22 I have to drive either to frederick or Cecil. Beautiful parks and I love going to them but its a long drive.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    i've only squirrel hunted once. worst taste ever (sure there's a better recipe but we didn't have it). gave some to our dog and even he spit it out!

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Squirrel is not that bad. Like a chewy-ier version of rabbit. I find it a little lacking if cooked like chicken for instance, just meat on the plate. I like it best in a casserole with egg noodles and gravy, kinda like Swedish meatballs only w/squirrel. Or a good stew. It is a little lacking all by itself. Those tiny boogers are muscular (by proportion) little critters, tough hide & tough meat. I recommend cooking/serving them in a sauce or gravy based dish. Definitely marinate them as much as you can, but in a normal marinade that you’d soak any meat in.

I’ve seen on this site people soaking wild bounty in brine. This old trick has been around to supposedly remove the “gamey” flavor from wild meats. If you cooked it that way it could be why you didn’t like it, it removes the flavor. I’ll NEVER understand this practice, you’re eating wild game, it’s supposed to taste different - that’s the point. If you want your venison to taste like beef, go buy beef. Pheasant is supposed to taste like pheasant, not like chicken or turkey. Goose like goose, duck like duck, etc....

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Potapsco is deer only. I wish they’d allow other stuff with bow only. A lot of turkey back in there.

For me it is out to Frederick for the closest public land that allows rifles.

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Squirrel is not that bad. Like a chewy-ier version of rabbit. I find it a little lacking if cooked like chicken for instance, just meat on the plate. I like it best in a casserole with egg noodles and gravy, kinda like Swedish meatballs only w/squirrel. Or a good stew. It is a little lacking all by itself. Those tiny boogers are muscular (by proportion) little critters, tough hide & tough meat. I recommend cooking/serving them in a sauce or gravy based dish. Definitely marinate them as much as you can, but in a normal marinade that you’d soak any meat in.

I’ve seen on this site people soaking wild bounty in brine. This old trick has been around to supposedly remove the “gamey” flavor from wild meats. If you cooked it that way it could be why you didn’t like it, it removes the flavor. I’ll NEVER understand this practice, you’re eating wild game, it’s supposed to taste different - that’s the point. If you want your venison to taste like beef, go buy beef. Pheasant is supposed to taste like pheasant, not like chicken or turkey. Goose like goose, duck like duck, etc....
    True, but a good marinade never hurt anything, I ended up doing stew, added corn potatoes, tomatoes quinoa kale, garlic , onion powder salt pepper and paprika. Tastes awesome and the meet is very nice.

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Potapsco is deer only. I wish they’d allow other stuff with bow only. A lot of turkey back in there.

For me it is out to Frederick for the closest public land that allows rifles.
    Last few times I've gone to frederick I haven't seen much. Maybe I was moving around to much but at elk neck I could hear them making noises from pretty far off and was able to stalk up to them. I got in about 20 yards and they still didn't see me which was surprising, either that or they didn't care that I was There

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    True, but a good marinade never hurt anything, I ended up doing stew, added corn potatoes, tomatoes quinoa kale, garlic , onion powder salt pepper and paprika. Tastes awesome and the meet is very nice.

That sounds pretty darn good. Looks like I’m going squirrel-ing Thanksgiving morning. Nice tip.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I love squirrel. It is actually one of the most nutritious and healthy meats on the plant. No fat to speak of. Because they eat a lot of nuts, they are very high in Omega 3'. If only they were easier to skin.....

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    That sounds pretty darn good. Looks like I’m going squirrel-ing Thanksgiving morning. Nice tip.
    Good luck I hope you get a couple I'm going to try to get out there again before deer firearm season starts up

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    I love squirrel. It is actually one of the most nutritious and healthy meats on the plant. No fat to speak of. Because they eat a lot of nuts, they are very high in Omega 3'. If only they were easier to skin.....

Squirrel was one of our staples when we went on the long (7-10 day) hikes with Boy Scouts. (Yes, this was back in the day when you could carry knives, slingshots, air rifles, and .22s into the woods with you and not cause an epic manhunt.)

Not a lot of meat on a tree-rat, but it is tasty. Collect "many" (don't worry, they'll make more.)

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016
    Squirrel was one of our staples when we went on the long (7-10 day) hikes with Boy Scouts. (Yes, this was back in the day when you could carry knives, slingshots, air rifles, and .22s into the woods with you and not cause an epic manhunt.)

Not a lot of meat on a tree-rat, but it is tasty. Collect "many" (don't worry, they'll make more.)
    I went all the way through Scouts got my in 2008 I wish we had been able to forge for stuff when we did Wilderness survival and went on the backpacking trips when I was in

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I like squirrel. They are fun to hunt and taste good in stew. Here in Colorado where I hunt there are only pine and Abert squirrels, and they are small. I need to get 4 or 5 to have enough meat for a decent stew. I miss those big fat Maryland gray squirrels!

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa

This was the 1st time I ever had squirrel, I'm 55 and he's 12, and I and my boy LOVE it. I' m sure growing up poor during the depression my Dad ate it but growing up in a brand new subdivision in Bel Air my mother wasn't about to fix us squirrel. I soaked the 5 my boy shot in salt water overnight, drained it next am then soaked again in salt water. After rinsing I simmered them for 3 hrs and picked them clean. I made a pot pie Sat evening using leftover veggies and I had about a qt of stock to make gravy with and it was so good my son had it for breakfast the next morning. The meat was tender,it had the consistency of good chicken but tasted sweeter. I know we'll be eating more. :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom