• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Blue approves of this thread (ere he ran himself plumb to death).

Good one. :thumbsup:

I get most of your references; this one was easy, the Army has at least two cadences inspired by this song.

Bile Them Cabbage Down
    chorus:
    Yah, old Blue
    You good dog, you
    verses:
    I had a dog and his name was Blue
    And I betcha five dollars he's a good dog, too
    Come on, Blue
    You good dog, you
    I shouldered my gun and I tooted my horn
    And I went to get a possum in the new ground corn
    Come on, Blue
    You can come too
    (chorus)
    Old Blue bayed, and I went to see
    Blue had a possum in a ‘simmon tree
    Come on, Blue
    You good dog, you
    That possum come out on a swinging limb
    Blue barked at the possum, possum growled at him
    Come on, Blue
    You good dog, you
    (chorus)
    Blue grinned at me and I winked at him
    I shook out the possum out, Blue took him in
    Come on, Blue
    You good dog, you
    Baked that possum nice and brown
    And I layed them sweet potatoes round and round
    Come on, Blue
    You can have some, too
    (chorus)
    Well, Old Blue died and he died so hard
    He shook the ground in my backyard
    Go on, Blue
    You good dog, you
    Dug his grave with a silver spade
    Lowered him down with a golden chain
    Go on, Blue
    You good dog, you
    (chorus)
    When I get to heaven first thing I'll do
    Take my horn and blow for Blue
    Go on, Blue
    I'm comin' too
    Come on Blue, come on Blue
    There's a possum in Heaven for me and you
    Go on, Blue
    You good dog, you
    (chorus)

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Here she is locating a deer I shot about a year ago. This was her first time completing a blood track and first time encountering a dead deer. Right after I took this she looked back at me with an expression that I interpreted as her saying "Ohhh....now I get it!"
    Very nice!

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    The Drathaar is the most well rounded sporting dog out there. If my wife didn't get our golden I'd have one. I'm sure I could still train our Josie to do this, but it's all about time.

Attachments

• 20171031_195557.jpg
      20171031_195557.jpg
      60.3 KB · Views: 178

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    The Drathaar is the most well rounded sporting dog out there. If my wife didn't get our golden I'd have one. I'm sure I could still train our Josie to do this, but it's all about time.
    May have harder time tracking. .. hence their name.. retriever.. they use their sights better than their nose.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Here she is with the deer I got the third week of September. I made a very good shot and the deer immediately ran into a standing corn field, then bolted out the side of the field about 50 yards away from me, and ultimately into a thicket. I didn't even bother tracking it without the dog. I waited an hour, went to my crossbow bolt that was stuck in the ground (so glad I finally invested in lighted nocks!) and saw some dark red blood on it and a good trail. I got the dog from the truck and she led me to it in under five minutes. The deer had run down into a dry wash. I would have recovered it eventually without the dog, but her nose made it go much faster! Racer is right--the Drahthaar really is the ultimate hunting companion! She will relentlessly search and point upland game, find and retrieve any lost waterfowl in any weather, and of course the blood tracking skill. And she is not afraid of anything--she tried to go after an adult bobcat at 10 months old while we were grouse hunting--but is still very sweet with my baby son. Of course I spent and continue to spend a lot of time working with her, but she makes it easy.

Attachments

• Heidi with deer 2017.jpg
      Heidi with deer 2017.jpg
      74.8 KB · Views: 181
    • Heidi with deer 2017 2.jpg
      Heidi with deer 2017 2.jpg
      101 KB · Views: 182

suburbhunter

Dec 23, 2012
    Carroll County
    I thought I would bring this to the top with bow season only about 12 days away, and most of the dog tracking threads are pretty old. My dog Fritz and I will be available to help track should the need arise from anyone here. Fritz is United Blood Trackers level II certified and ready to work. Last week we did a 22hr old hoof/Inter-digital scent, training track with no blood 700+ yards long. Our areas will primarily be Frederick, Carroll, Baltimore, Harford, Howard, AA and maybe Montgomery Counties. If I can't assist I will try to find a tracker that will. Derwood is still tracking too and will probably be mostly in the south region. Shoot Straight [smile]

I can be reached at 443-293-2395.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Thank you sir for offering this. My old tracker contact moved to Florida, so I was without a resource.

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Just out of curiosity, did you work with a trainer for this or is it something you already knew how to do?. My now 2 year old dog has shown some tracking instincts and I'd love to find a trainer to work with. The couple of places I've found are more geared towards nose work competitions and the class times are either screwy or the class is rarely held.

suburbhunter

Dec 23, 2012
    Carroll County
    I trained my dog. It is a process and you and your dog would get more out of it by training your dog yourself. Send me a Pm and Ill get you started in the right direction. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom