• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    Shooter this week was showing off his new SIG P365, the only serial number is on the trigger assembly. Per him when the trigger assembly is removed the receiver and slide with barrel per ATF isn't classified as firearm. I find that amazing and hard to digest.

Also learned other SIG models only have the serial number stamped on the trigger assembly.

So is he correct in stating when the trigger assembly is removed, the remaining parts aren't classified as a firearm?

Thinking out loud, have P365 minus the trigger assembly in my carry on briefcase TSA will let it pass through? !!

confused oldMan OUT

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    True about the serial number, P250 and P320 also work tha way. I wouldn't test TSA
    Though I don't know the statues. My last flight I overheard a group of them laughing about
    The searches they put a guy through for having an AR BCG in the pocket of his carry on...

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Shooter this week was showing off his new SIG P365, the only serial number is on the trigger assembly. Per him when the trigger assembly is removed the receiver and slide with barrel per ATF isn't classified as firearm. I find that amazing and hard to digest.

Also learned other SIG models only have the serial number stamped on the trigger assembly.

So is he correct in stating when the trigger assembly is removed, the remaining parts aren't classified as a firearm?

Thinking out loud, have P365 minus the trigger assembly in my carry on briefcase TSA will let it pass through? !!

confused oldMan OUT
    Nice try sir. No banana.

I posit such logic will land you in the Second level of back room at the airport. Then who’s to tell what kind of invite you’ll garner for follow up Sessions/ action.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Those types of firearms are designed to be modular. The metal firing assembly is the firearm and you can get different grip frames to nest them in(250 &320). It's pretty sweet for a md resident...you do paperwork once for the trigger assembly and then can purchase different size frames and calibers to have multiple variations of handgun.

Want a subcompact in 9mm to conceal while working out...toss that together. Want a full sized 40 to wear to a pride rally... assemble those components. It's a pretty neat idea.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    In a summary,the trigger assembly is classified as the “firearm”. The part with the serial number on it.Hope that helps.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That IS the reciever, the part that you hold in your hand is an interchangeable accesory .

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Those types of firearms are designed to be modular. The metal firing assembly is the firearm and you can get different grip frames to nest them in(250 &320). It's pretty sweet for a md resident...you do paperwork once for the trigger assembly and then can purchase different size frames and calibers to have multiple variations of handgun.

Want a subcompact in 9mm to conceal while working out...toss that together. Want a full sized 40 to wear to a pride rally... assemble those components. It's a pretty neat idea.

:lol:

tumblr_nyqxaw28tk1qa9yc1o1_400.gif

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    It's just like an AR lower. The stock, grip, barrel, etc are all interchangable, the metal frame that holds the trigger is the official firearm.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    The TSA doesn’t allow gun parts in the passenger cabin on planes either. Things that look substantially like guns are likely to get you in trouble. Pistol lowers and barrels would get their attention.

I’m wondering two things after reading this question.

1) What if you tried to take just the trigger assembly on the plane. Probably not allowed but would they notice?

2) if you took the trigger out of the pistol, are you still required to declare that you have a pistol in your checked luggage? It’s not an ATF Firearm. My guess is technically NO. However, the TSA would likely ask you for an explanation.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    The TSA doesn’t allow gun parts in the passenger cabin on planes either. Things that look substantially like guns are likely to get you in trouble. Pistol lowers and barrels would get their attention.

I’m wondering two things after reading this question.

1) What if you tried to take just the trigger assembly on the plane. Probably not allowed but would they notice?

2) if you took the trigger out of the pistol, are you still required to declare that you have a pistol in your checked luggage? It’s not an ATF Firearm. My guess is technically NO. However, the TSA would likely ask you for an explanation.

I once shipped a complete AR upper receiver in a checked bag without declaring it as a firearm. TSA doesn't inspect every bag.

GlocksAndPatriots

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 29, 2016
    It’s not a firearm and it was in your checked bag why would you need to declare it? It’s no different than when I fly and toss my knife in my checked luggage.

Agreed legally, but I could see some TSA people claiming that any major component needs to be declared.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom