Is this why "BUSHMASTER" is banned by name?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I have to agree with you. As a former infantryman, I had to hit silhouette targets at 300 meters with an M16 and iron sights. Marines had to do that at 500 meters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently, with 4x optics at 500 meters

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Is this why "BUSHMASTER" is banned by name?

Currently, with 4x optics at 500 meters

I didn't know that. Still, even with a 4x optic, a 500m shot is what impresses me with a 5.56 round, not a 100m shot from a bench with a rest and a high powered scope. Any decent marksman can do that with a high velocity 22LR.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    The General Assembly didn't add any rifles to the 2013 list. They just took the regulated list and turned it into a banned list.

The Bushmaster was on the regulated list well before Sandy Hook.

Didn't know that. Just throwing out what I heard. Must be coincidental that the rifle
    That was found there was a Bushmaster, and directly afterwords the State banned them by name in the laws they passed because of the shooting.

drking2

Ultimate Member
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carroll County
    But it wasn't the bushmaster AR it was the m17. Didn't even look like a AR. The 2013 didn't add the bushmaster, msp just changed their interpretation of the previous list.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    That bull pup looking thing was the original model they were after, I can remember that when it all went down. The DCM Bushmaster that I own is pretty dam accurate but it was manufactured by the old company and not that new bunch who wrecked a few different traditional and well made brands when they bought them out.

chipd

May 20, 2017
    if you expect laws banning guns to actually have logic behind them, you have much to learn. people that know even the most basic things about firearms have nothing to do with the laws banning them. gun bans are based strictly on fear, hate, and ignorance.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Threeband is on point that the M17S was the original regulated Bushmaster rifle.

Also your set up isn't conducive to accuracy. You have a non free float handguard on a rest. If you're gonna shoot from the bench you either need to mechanically zero it by having your hand gripling the magwell or installing a FF handguard. Otherwise you're gonna have weird things happening when the barrel heats and vibrates. You should also ditch the bench and learn a proper sitting position.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The General Assembly didn't add any rifles to the 2013 list. They just took the regulated list and turned it into a banned list.

The Bushmaster was on the regulated list well before Sandy Hook.

Didn't know that. Just throwing out what I heard. Must be coincidental that the rifle
    That was found there was a Bushmaster, and directly afterwords the State banned them by name in the laws they passed because of the shooting.

Probably reality-wise NameTaken, you are right, but just after Sandy Hook and the ban fervor that followed, the brand 'Bushmaster' was plastered on every headline from coast to coast. Hard to say that wasn't at all influential in the decisions include it by name in the bans.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Probably reality-wise NameTaken, you are right, but just after Sandy Hook and the ban fervor that followed, the brand 'Bushmaster' was plastered on every headline from coast to coast. Hard to say that wasn't at all influential in the decisions include it by name in the bans.

So if it was a non HBAR Colt that was used those would have been banned to I guess?

Oh wait.

The politicians care not to learn anything about what their agenda covers. That is why there are guns on the old regulated list that were NEVER made. I haven't looked but I'm guessing those same guns on the old regulated list that were never offered for sale probably made their way to the ban list.

Not a ounce of effort is put into this. They had a list of "assault weapons" in their mind and just went from regulated to ban.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Threeband is on point that the M17S was the original regulated Bushmaster rifle.

Also your set up isn't conducive to accuracy. You have a non free float handguard on a rest. If you're gonna shoot from the bench you either need to mechanically zero it by having your hand gripling the magwell or installing a FF handguard. Otherwise you're gonna have weird things happening when the barrel heats and vibrates. You should also ditch the bench and learn a proper sitting position.

Junior shooters shooting air rifles at 33 feet using iron sights are hitting the ten ring which is the size of the period at the end of this sentence (.) And they are doing it prone, kneeling, and standing on their own two hind feet.
    http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/CurrentNatlRcds.pdf?ver=20170411

Just pointing out what the future competition is doing.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County

So if it was a non HBAR Colt that was used those would have been banned to I guess?

Oh wait.

The politicians care not to learn anything about what their agenda covers. That is why there are guns on the old regulated list that were NEVER made. I haven't looked but I'm guessing those same guns on the old regulated list that were never offered for sale probably made their way to the ban list.

Not a ounce of effort is put into this. They had a list of "assault weapons" in their mind and just went from regulated to ban.

If someone has the literature please post it. I could have sworn that ANYTHING with the name Bushmaster on it was banned. Not a specific model in the law. I also believe you cannot even get a Bushmaster brand lower because of FSA 2013.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Here we go again. This confusion will never die. It will persist alongside claims that "The moon landings were faked," and "The Russians 'hacked' the 2016 election."

Didn't see this post. That is interesting. Did not know there was a model actually called the Bushmaster rifle.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Post #17 lays it all out. The "Bushmaster Rifle" that existed in 1989 was a long stroke piston design mfg by Gwinn Firearms Inc . ( Designed by Mac Gwinn , one of the original team members at Armalite, developing the original AR back in the d s y.) At the time Gwinn Firearms made nothing of conventional AR-15 format. It was only after Gwinn bought QPI did they initially make milspec parts for gov't, other mfgs, and consumers, and still later make complete rifles.

It was in the post Sandy Hook hysteria that MSP began deliberately misinterprting.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Bushmaster was contacted, to see if they would help to overturn the ruling.

They did not want to be bothered.

So PFFFFTTT on them. Plenty of other brands that care about MD residents.
    No one thinks the juice is worth the squeeze to set the record straight for a state with a population of 6.2 million. Heck, even though it was overturned by the courts, some ammo sellers find the old Montgomery County ammo restriction law still on the books and won't ship the county. Even when buyers point out the that the law was overturned, the small number of sales that are killed off means it isn't worthwhile for the ammo seller to check it out with their attorney.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    So they took "Bushmaster Rifle" literally and just assumed it meant all of them? Any rifle that says Bushmaster on it?

Not quite. They didn't "assume." It's a deliberate misinterpretation, and a recent one at that. Until late 2013 or even 2014, the MSP knew what Bushmaster meant. They still do. Bushmaster Brand HBAR AR15s were always sold cash and carry, unregulated until after FSA2013 went into effect.

The Maryland State Police knows perfectly well that the "Bushmaster Rifle" on the List (which dates to 1988 or 1989) has absolutely no relation to the AR15 rifles, or any rifles made by Bushmaster Arms. Bushmaster Arms did not even exist in 1988. The Bushmaster Rifle, a sort of hybrid of the AK 47 and the AR 18, was made by Gwinn Arms.

protect.pl

Bushmaster AR15 HBARs were always sold as cash-and-carry, unregulated rifles before 2014. MSP knows perfectly well what "Bushmaster" means.

This deliberate mistaken misinterpretation of the word "Bushmaster" is a purely administrative, extra-legal infringement. It could never withstand a serious legal challenge.

Please re-read my post on the previous page.
    This keeps coming up again and again, and I hate to see this never-ending confusion. It's important that we keep alive the truth about The List.

The List is used by several states, not just Maryland.

The List is very old. It was drawn up in 1988 or 1989 in California.

The List was drawn up by two staffers in Diane Feinstein's office, who bought a Gun Digest or Guns and Ammo Annual at a newsstand, and made a list of the rifles they though looked scary based on the pictures.

The List is very old. It is full of rifles from the 1980s like the Terry and the Calico and the Linda. Also the Bushmaster. Rifles not produced since the 1980s.

The List was the basis for the 1994 Federal Ban. I believe it received a few updates at that time. It has not changed or been updated since.

Lazy ignorant legislators just keep copying that same old list without changes. That's why newer rifles like the SCAR and the Tavor are not on the List.

Bushmaster HBARs were always unregulated in Maryland because the MSP knew they had nothing to do with the obscure, long-out-of-production rifle specified in the List.

The current deliberate misinterpretation is a purely administrative, extra-legal action.

retafshooter

Apr 28, 2014
    West Elkridge
    Thrill killers

I have to agree with you. As a former infantryman, I had to hit silhouette targets at 300 meters with an M16 and iron sights. Marines had to do that at 500 meters.

Ok I agree, so the 20 year old Infrantrymen & young Marines are better shooters than this 79 year old (with neuro-muscular disorder) But I'm having a lot of fun with this currently banned Bushmaster, even if nobody is shooting back at me.:)

scouse

Mar 6, 2013
    Havana on the Severn
    Ok I agree, so the 20 year old Infrantrymen & young Marines are better shooters than this 79 year old (with neuro-muscular disorder) But I'm having a lot of fun with this currently banned Bushmaster, even if nobody is shooting back at me.:)

I apologize if you were offended, sir - that was not our intention. The remarks were aimed at the Bow, not the Indian. I am not too far behind you in age and, frankly, just about all of my firearms are far more accurate than I can make them. Like you though, I have a lot of fun trying to improve my marksmanship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom