Go Back   Maryland Shooters > General > Gun Shows
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old September 17th, 2018, 11:10 AM #51

Some friends of mine and I went to both shows. The Hunters show first and as above, small with mostly guns and gun related items and few customers there. We bought a few things there (good not great prices, but worth going). Then we went to the larger show in Gettysburg. This was MUCH larger. It had a few non-firearms related tables (Pipers(?) PA pickles, a deli and some jewelry) but mostly guns. There were good deals to be had on powder and reloading supplies and a nice selection of older firearms (I am tired of walking into a show only to see black rifles everywhere and few classic firearms to be seen. I realize in 30 years, if guns shows still exist, all you'll see are AR's). Some these older guns were well maintained some were a little better than parts guns (IMHO). I went looking for an older Ithaca M37 in 20Ga with smaller 'corncob/ ring tail' fore-arm stock. Didn't find one. Found several 12Ga and ended up getting one for about $200 (gonna need to replace or repair the butt stock as it's starting to crack around the receiver area). I think this is a fairly common problem on the Remington M17 and the Ithaca M37's. Because of the design of the action (sticking out the back end of the receiver into the butt stock area) there is little wood left to absorb the shock of recoil and oil has 'punked' the area from running out of the receiver/action when stored butt down.
TBH My favorite shows are the smaller shows with older individuals (hunters retiring from the fields) selling their older firearms used over decades in the field, giving them an abundance of pleasure from the hunt, the warm sun on their face and the cold rain hitting the hunting jacket or the snow falling while tracking some elusive prey through the woods (good times). Many of them took really good care of the guns and a few field marks from hunting makes them more appealing to me as I don't have to worry about damaging a 'safe queen', they are already 'broken in' . Besides I'm there to buy a gun I am going to shoot not stick in a safe. So far I only have one firearm I purchased and haven't shot, but it's only a matter of time I'm sure.
Give me a Remington Model 8 or 81, an Auto 5 or a Remington Model 17 (Notice anything in the design characteristics? JMB said.) Of course a Savage 99 has been known to sneak into my house when my back was turned LOL.
NRA Life Member

Last edited by toppkatt; September 17th, 2018 at 12:51 PM.
toppkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 05:57 PM #52

I may have to start hitting up these smaller shows to find what I am looking for. My project for this winter will be do get an old J. C. Higgins Model 30 up and running. It belonged to my grandfather and he bought it new. I haven't received it yet and all I know about its condition is that the action is seized. I have a feeling that some major spare parts may be needed.
KJackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > General > Gun Shows