What is the strangest thing you have caught while fishing?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    A few weeks ago while fishing at loch Raven I got a snag. It was stripping drag but I could pull it in if I hand lined it. I realized I was snagged on another line. The odd thing is it was a 700 yd spool of 12 lb line with no tackle on it. About 25 yards had draped itself across the weed line and that’s what I hooked. To avoid the pics or it didn’t happen I’ve attached a photo lol.

What is the strangest thing you have caught while fishing?

291eb4e919d6028b75d3d18d7ad234ef.jpg

gizzard

Oct 30, 2012
    hagerstown
    a rusted 22 bolt action, another time several hundred dollars spread over a bout a tenth of a mile along the road bordering a trout stream

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    When I was a young kid I was fishing with my father, and got my favorite spinning lure snagged in a tree branch. Did what most kids do and tugged on it pretty hard. When it released it came at me at about 20 miles an hour and I caught myself in the mouth with a treble hook... one barb in my upper lip and one in my lower lip... both buried past the barb. Way before the age of cell phones, so no pics. Dad drove me to the hospital, and the doctor started pushing the hooks through my lips to free up the barbs so he could cut them off with nippers, without anesthesia. I think my screams convinced him to numb me up first. Not sure what hurt more though, the pain in my lips, or the embarrassment as dozens of strangers made (what they thought were) funny comments about my catch of the day.

So I am the strangest thing I've ever caught. :sad20:

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    When I was a young kid I was fishing with my father, and got my favorite spinning lure snagged in a tree branch. Did what most kids do and tugged on it pretty hard. When it released it came at me at about 20 miles an hour and I caught myself in the mouth with a treble hook... one barb in my upper lip and one in my lower lip... both buried past the barb. Way before the age of cell phones, so no pics. Dad drove me to the hospital, and the doctor started pushing the hooks through my lips to free up the barbs so he could cut them off with nippers, without anesthesia. I think my screams convinced him to numb me up first. Not sure what hurt more though, the pain in my lips, or the embarrassment as dozens of strangers made (what they thought were) funny comments about my catch of the day.

Sir---that is one helluva "Fish story" You win the internet today!

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county

I can’t imagine how much that hurt. Geez.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    It was nearing dark, and I remember telling my brother Steve - "the Browns come out at night" (trout - must have read it in field and stream)
    so sure enough I'm hooked up in a very small stream, and it's pretty dark now, and up comes an EEL and FREAKED US OUT! We were like 12.
    cut the line and beat feet.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007

I did something similar to that; but it was my sister. :sad20:

We were down in the Baja fishing, in a very remote area. I cast my line back and unbeknownst to me, my little sister had walked behind me at that very moment.

The treble hook caught her in the cheek right below her eye, and it was set in very well.

Of course she was screaming bloody murder and I don’t blame her. My dad scooped her up and found a Mexican dentist in the closest town there, whom got the hook out and cleaned it for her.

Man, was I the most hated sibling for a long time after that. :sad20:

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Years ago,5 of us were fishing off the bridge at Prettyboy. Once it got dark,I tied on a Jitterbug and fished towards the bank.I could hear something hitting at it on every cast but couldnt hook it. After 4 or 5 casts,I heard something squeaking and thought no way!!! Sure enough,I had a bat stuck on my lure.I guess he hit it on the cast or when I was reeling it up off the water.

We couldnt stop laughing for a while for sure.One guy asked..."How are you going to get it off?" Another said..."I would just cut my line"
    I said..."Im going fishing" I cast it back in ,and no chit....I had a bite and hook up about 5 seconds after hitting the water. It was a 12 inch smallmouth.I wish the story ended with the fish being a really big one,but thats the way it was.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    A couple of us were fishing below the dam at Prettyboy.I snagged something heavy and thought I wouldnt be able to bring it in without breaking off.Slowly but surely it finally showed itself....a plastic trash bag with an empty bottle of nitrous oxide in it.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    It was nearing dark, and I remember telling my brother Steve - "the Browns come out at night" (trout - must have read it in field and stream)
    so sure enough I'm hooked up in a very small stream, and it's pretty dark now, and up comes an EEL and FREAKED US OUT! We were like 12.
    cut the line and beat feet.

The very first thing I ever caught was an eel. I was about six years old and I was done after that. I don't think I went fishing again until I was a teenager.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’m waiting for someone to say “multiple firearms” that one of our good members said he lost in a “boating accident”. Wouldn’t that be a blast?

Someone did pull most of a Bren LMG our of the Chesapeake a couple of months ago. I am sure the ATF destroyed it afterwards.

My strangest and luckiest catch was an ugly rod with a nice reel. Cleaned up well.

Fishing Assawoman bay. Wife’s uncle pulled up a 42” rock fish. 15 minutes later I hooked something big. Pulled it up and it was someone’s fishing rod and reel that must have gone overboard that season as the reel had very little corrosion on it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Sir---that is one helluva "Fish story" You win the internet today!

Yewoich! I can only imagine. Strangest thing my brother caught was me. Swung his line back and snagged my arm. Tried to cast it before I could yell/scream. Same deal except it was my dad who pushed the barbs through to cut off the tip. It was buried maybe 1/4” deep and he had to twist it up to poke it back through the surface. Small hook. I was 9.

Lots of screaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom