• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    Just got a Aero precision AR and need optics. I have seen some friends with EOtech and they seem great but with buying the Aero an extra $600 to $700 will take awhile. Wondering if there is something else that will be worth getting that is cheaper. Or do I get some Magpul flip ups and save for a while for the EOtech.
    Thanks for your input.
    Mike

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    The Holosun 510c is roughly $300 and has a really nice crisp dot and a similar style reticle to the Eotech. It’s made in China, though, and arguably the Eotech is more durable and its most certainly more “battle tested/proven”.

I’ve got the 510c and it’s truly amazing for what it is, and I’m a bit of a gear snob.

The Holosun 512c is the same as the 510 but with an enclosed emitter and is roughly $50 more.

The Aimpoint PRO for about $400 is prob the best duty grade optic for the $. But if you’re like me and have astigmatism, it just doesn’t work too well and the dot is not clear to me.

Then you’ve got the budget but high value options such as the Sig Romeo5 or the Vortex Crossfire ii.

The Romeo 5 actually looks good for my eyes and I have one on my wife’s rifle. For $149 on a bad day, it’s hard to beat and has held up well.

The Trijicon MRO is another great option and within the same budget as the Aimpoint PRO, but once again just doesn’t work for my eyes.

If you’re dead set on the Eotech style of reticle then you may want to check out an Eotech 512 that takes AA batteries. They can be had sometimes for around $400. I’ve seen them pre Covid on sale for $375, but those days may be over.

How do I know all of this? Because I’ve literally owned every optic just mentioned (and many more).

Learn from my mistakes and save up for what you really want because you’ll end up buying it one day anyway.

mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    SkiPatrolDude I do have a bad astigmatism. I read that the holographic sights like EOtech isn’t a problem with that. You don’t have any issues with the 510c?

Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    SkiPatrolDude I do have a bad astigmatism. I read that the holographic sights like EOtech isn’t a problem with that. You don’t have any issues with the 510c?

As far as I know EOtech is the only true holographic sight. I don’t have astigmatism but my friends with bad eyes don’t like my Holosun as much as I do.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I believe Vortex makes a true holographic sight as well.

EOtech is nice but at range it struggles a bit and mounting a magnifier makes the whole package pretty heavy.

I would (and have) gone with a LPVO like the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x, Primary Arms LVPO or the Swamp fox Arrowhead 1-10x

All are solid performers and won't break the bank

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I believe Vortex makes a true holographic sight as well.

EOtech is nice but at range it struggles a bit and mounting a magnifier makes the whole package pretty heavy.

I would (and have) gone with a LPVO like the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x, Primary Arms LVPO or the Swamp fox Arrowhead 1-10x

All are solid performers and won't break the bank

They do. The Vortex Viper UH-1. It’s pretty good and I have no issues with the reticle with my astigmatism.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Depends if you want a red dot or a lpvo. Red dot, Sig Romeo 5. Lpvo, Vortex Strike Eagle.

mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    Thanks everyone. I ordered a set of Magpul flip ups last night. And will take SkiPatrolDude’s and slsc98’s advice and save up for either a EOtech or the UH-1. I will have time to figure out which one.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    The EOTech will be impacted by an astigmatism - it will look grainier (at first) than you expect and you will think it is not working right. But when you turn down the brightness and use it more it will be fine.

If you want a lower cost EOTech, you can probably buy a used one from a member. I have an extra 512 I would sell.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

The Holosun 510C is without a doubt the crispest, clearest reticle I have ever seen. The general consensus (and my experience), is that Reflex style sights such as the 510C are the best option for folks with astigmatism.

However, I have the Vortex UH1 which is comparable to an Eotech... both look perfect even with my astigmatism. But for some, Eotech's are still a problem.

If you have looked through your friends Eotech and not had issues, the UH1 should do just fine.

The Eotech and UH1 reticle's are somewhat more "pixilated" vs the Holosun, for lack of a better explanation. But they are all very nice.

The main difference between the Holosun and the Eotech or the Uh1 is that the Holosun is a Reflex sight whereas the others are Holographics.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    picking an optic is like picking a rifle in the first place, budget, range, use, weight etc there is a lot to consider. Generally an unmagnified red dot/HWS is good under 200yds and best within 50. A LPVO(1-? scope) is good under a few hundred yards and great from 25-to somewhere around 50yds X top magnification. If you built/bought a precision 20" you might not be happy with an EoTech, if you bought a small SBR/braced pistols a 1-6LPVO might get in the way. I don't run Irons on anything anymore, outside of flip ups I might temporarily stick on a rifle I'm headed to a carbine class with.

For a close range budget build, the Sig Romeo 5s can't be beat for < $150, small, light, rugged, but a small viewing area.

For close range defensive build, Aimpoint Pro with MI QD mount, rugged, proven, leave it on for years, larger viewing area, expensive and only a single dot. I have astigmatism too, and the Aimpoint is noticeably clearer and cleaner than most any other red dot.

Close range all-around build or competition, EoTech, I love the XPS2, huge viewing area, great reticle, rugged, easy to use, but short battery life, can't leave it on like the AImpoint. The glass is as clean and clear as it gets, but the reticle can look grainy.

budget LPVO, fixed mount and Vortex Strike Eagle, it's 1-6, useably clean and clear, great for the money and backed by an excellent warranty and service. Anything less looks looks quite a bit worse, and the next step up is near double the price. PA's scoper are nice too, just prefver the Vortex.

My prefferred LPVO, Vortex PST2 1-6 in a Larue CAN mount. THe best for the money, very clean clear and large image, huge step up from the Strike eagle, the clarity helps make hits further than a 6X magnification would seem able to. The mount is bulletproof, well made, comes off and on easily without moving zero. Only downside is the 2lb weight.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The HS510C is a really good sight for the money. It's not a holographic sight, but it's easily just as fast. It is VERY popular on Steel Challenge PCCs. Did have one fail on me (shattered glass), but that was pretty unusual.

The Vortex UH-1 is also really good, but a bit of a porker. The made in the USA aspect is very nice, and so is the warranty. Kind of sucks for use with a magnifier due to the rear buttons.

Eotechs are very under-rated, especially the newer ones, but you need to make sure you buy one that was manufactured post-2017 so you have that 10 year warranty. The older two year warranty was grossly inadequate and didn't cover a lot of sights that failed with delamination and nitrogen purge issues.

I think you really need to consider how you're going to use your rifle to decide which optic fits your needs best.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    I have several Romeo 5's, and I love them. Have NEVER replaced a battery in any of them. Can't say that about many other optics (and I own at least 10)...

Great warranty too.

Last edited:

Redbone1

Mar 1, 2020
    My 2 cents for what its worth, which isn't much, would be to get a more affordable optic to start that way you can have an optic which is really beneficial to have on your rifle. Then start saving for the optic you really want like an aimpoint, eotech, trijicon ect. When you get that optic you have 2 options.... 1. Sell the old one and recoup some of the money or 2. Buy / build another rifle to put that optic on. The second option is the route I usually take but then again I have built a new rifle just because I had a lower parts kit laying around. As far as affordable options go in the red dot field I have used a sig Romeo 5, Sig msr, and vortex sparqs, all are pretty good and and are in the 1 to 2 hundred range. I think you can even catch deals on the sig msr for less than 100. In the lpvo field I would recommend the vortex strike eagle or one of the leupold 1-4 x. Hope this helps

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I have an astigmatism and tried a Vortex Spitfire prism sight. Much better than a red dot. around $200-$250 depending on the market athletics.
    I have one of these and find it to be substantially slower than a real reflex sight when I put it on a timer. If you can't use a reflex sight due to astigmatism, it is what it is, but I didn't find it that great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom