• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So going to throw this one out there. Any experiences and preferences in suppressor covers? I am looking for something that might handle a few fast strings, but not mag dumps or high volume sustained fire. Say 20 rounds of .308 in 20 seconds and then cool for a minute before any more firing. Or 30 of 5.56 at the same rate. Also not melt if I turn it up to 10 with a 300wm, but rate of fire would be slower. Probably no more than 5 rounds in 1 seconds with a minute to cool between strings for a couple of strings at WORST.

Again, just thinking worst case scenario. Usually I am not shooting more than 3-5 rounds in a string over maybe 10-15 seconds and probably pausing for a minute and rarely shoot more than 40-50 rounds without either switching guns or take a break for a little while (like 5-10 minutes at least).

I am leaning towards the Armageddon arms cover, but I see it is only rare for ~800f vs some others that can push 2000+

Am I likely to actually have issues there? If it helps this would be used with a SiCo Omega 300. No SBRs, all 16” or longer.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    I have used armageddon. Like their bags. Hate their can covers. Find an outfit that makes them to size and with stitching in the rear that precludes cover creep. (TAB is one I use but they are by no means the only one). Can't tell you how many times I have watched covers get wrecked because the trigger puller wasn't keeping an eye on one of the inferior designs.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

I did put this on my Mac can that I don't use much any more. I think they hurt as much as they help in general. The heat is getting trapped in. You are better just letting it out. Most covers are still to hot to handle. I have not bought more but these seems like some of the best to actually hold up. Otherwise its like taking an oven mitt and grabbing the heating element.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I think suppressor covers make sense for two scenarios:

1.) Mirage abatement for a precision rifle after multiple strings of fire. I think this most closely fits OP’s scenario. For this I like the Rauch Precision Suppressor Covers. They tend to have good sales periodically, and their prices are good. They do a good job of reaching out to you if they don’t have the measurements of your suppressor, too. Just be aware of what temps they are rated to.

2.) You are doing something that involves situations where your slung rifle with a hot suppressor is likely to touch you. Climbing ladders or negotiating weird terrain, for example. A number of the people I work with have lost a pair of pants, drawers, hair, and maybe some skin to that. So far I’ve not had that pleasure. I saw a carbon fiber suppressor shroud that looked like it would work really well, but it was too expensive for me to want to buy it. In general it seems like the bowers or manta defense covers are most well regarded here, as they don’t slip as easily as other designs. And they are fairly cheap so if you ruin them, meh.

Other than those two specific instances, I don’t really recommend suppressor covers. They trap all that heat, which is not good for the rifle and can.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    There's a form1 can forum in Facebook. One of the guys there has been selling those covers. I might need to order several from him

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    FWIW - I have one of these: https://www.riflesonly.com/rifles-only-gear-suppressor-cover-had-560 that used on an Omega300 that is strictly for two Savage bolt 308s. Has a huge range of sizes to pick from to fit your can. Only been out to the range with it 4 times so can't speak to durability but it works well at eliminating mirage and barely gets warm to the touch after firing 40-50 rounds per sitting.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have used armageddon. Like their bags. Hate their can covers. Find an outfit that makes them to size and with stitching in the rear that precludes cover creep. (TAB is one I use but they are by no means the only one). Can't tell you how many times I have watched covers get wrecked because the trigger puller wasn't keeping an eye on one of the inferior designs.

What don't you like about them?

I have one and have no issues with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom