• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome !

And no need to feel shame, or have to justify yourself. I always recomend a full size- ish .22lr as a first handgun. Excellent for learning marksmanship skills. Few people listen to me, but they would be both happier and better shooters if they did .

And not just for beginners, to later outgrow . They are way FUN for shooters of all ages and experience levels.

The Rugers are very popular, but yes the detail stripping is * interesting* . But once the initial cleaning and relubing ( if brand new ) , you can go a whole buncha rounds with occasional bore wipe , cleaning external gunk, and proper lubrication , before needing another detail strip.

VickiC

Thelma AND Louise
    May 25, 2017
    Wheaton, MD
    Welcome !

And no need to feel shame, or have to justify yourself. I always recomend a full size- ish .22lr as a first handgun. Excellent for learning marksmanship skills. Few people listen to me, but they would be both happier and better shooters if they did .

And not just for beginners, to later outgrow . They are way FUN for shooters of all ages and experience levels.

The Rugers are very popular, but yes the detail stripping is * interesting* . But once the initial cleaning and relubing ( if brand new ) , you can go a whole buncha rounds with occasional bore wipe , cleaning external gunk, and proper lubrication , before needing another detail strip.
    Thanks for the encouragement, Biggfoot44! Just got my MSP letter to go pick it up today!!! ((( thrilled scream)))

Cleaning it will be a first for me. Great tips, thanks! Then I'll feel like it's really mine!

VickiC

Thelma AND Louise
    May 25, 2017
    Wheaton, MD
    You are definitely starting off right! a plinker is the perfect gun to build up your confidence and marksmanship. take your time and enjoy fun shooting... you will move on to something else whenever you feel ready.
    Thanks! It's good to hear I'm starting off right...

VickiC

Thelma AND Louise
    May 25, 2017
    Wheaton, MD
    Want to say a BIG THANK YOU to ALL you folks, especially the oldtimers, out there welcoming a newbie! That means a lot! Great bunch here at MDS. I'm really going to like this! :D

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I agree, you have made an excellent first gun choice. It has excellent potential to both please you as it is and/or to lead you to interest in other guns of other calibers or just other .22's.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Welcome! I have several Ruger pistols (Mark II, Mark III, 22/45. 22/45 Lite). A great choice to start off with. I still find time to shoot mine along with my other pistols.

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    Greetings, and welcome to the wonderful, fun world of the shooting sports!

Many people think otherwise, but I believe a .22 is the right gun for ANYONE who's never fired a gun before. The recoil doesn't beat up your body, so you can stand to practice a lot and can concentrate on shooting technique instead of managing recoil, and the ammo, even at today's prices, is the cheapest there is. I always start new shooters with a .22, either a rifle or handgun, depending on their interest.

You were also wise to pick something that fit your hand well, and not to be influenced by others' prejudices.

Enjoy shooting your Ruger and visit MDS often!

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Hello and welcome.

It's mostly "boys will be boys" here. You'll see when you get 50 posts and get access to the Water Cooler section. Plenty of gals here and you'll find them or they'll find you. Overall it's great site with helpful folks.

I always suggest joining MSI...see my signature.

VickiC

Thelma AND Louise
    May 25, 2017
    Wheaton, MD
    Greetings, and welcome to the wonderful, fun world of the shooting sports!

Many people think otherwise, but I believe a .22 is the right gun for ANYONE who's never fired a gun before. The recoil doesn't beat up your body, so you can stand to practice a lot and can concentrate on shooting technique instead of managing recoil, and the ammo, even at today's prices, is the cheapest there is. I always start new shooters with a .22, either a rifle or handgun, depending on their interest.

You were also wise to pick something that fit your hand well, and not to be influenced by others' prejudices.

Enjoy shooting your Ruger and visit MDS often!
    Thanks, Iseries! Good advice. Yep, getting my technique down to where it's automatic will be enough of a challenge. Just got my first gun yesterday! Took it down and "cleaned" it. Darn thing bit me, 3 times! I am cured now of riding the slide! :innocent0

VickiC

Thelma AND Louise
    May 25, 2017
    Wheaton, MD
    Hello and welcome.

It's mostly "boys will be boys" here. You'll see when you get 50 posts and get access to the Water Cooler section. Plenty of gals here and you'll find them or they'll find you. Overall it's great site with helpful folks.

I always suggest joining MSI...see my signature.

I've always been a tomboy, so boys being boys is familiar, and pretty funny! I did find some women's threads. It's a fantastic site! I really like how seasoned shooters like you reach out to us little guys. Thank you!

And I will check out MSI!

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Welcome from Ellicott City!
    Re. the cleaning & takedown. It's part of the deal to get a little oil & solvent under the fingernails. LOL.
    My wife is also a shooter and I'm usually the cleaner & armorer.
    However, once my wife started doing her own takedown & cleaning she claimed it helped her to better understand the function of the firearm, especially the semi auto pistols.
    You might find this to be true as well.

Again welcome!

VickiC

Thelma AND Louise
    May 25, 2017
    Wheaton, MD
    Welcome from Ellicott City!
    Re. the cleaning & takedown. It's part of the deal to get a little oil & solvent under the fingernails. LOL.
    My wife is also a shooter and I'm usually the cleaner & armorer.
    However, once my wife started doing her own takedown & cleaning she claimed it helped her to better understand the function of the firearm, especially the semi auto pistols.
    You might find this to be true as well.

Again welcome!
    Ooooh, I LOVE taking things apart and putting them back together, seeing how they work! Got that from my dad.

Got into a little trouble when I decided to take the magazine apart though ... Yep! (((Sproing)))! Airborne! Getting that spring back in there was, uh, interesting! Ha ha ha ha!

Thanks for the welcome!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Getting the spring back in there isn't the hard part. It's finding the pieces after they ricochet around the room. ( Or if outdoors, bury themselves under the grass.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom