• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thegoose

gun loving fanatic
    Feb 16, 2013
    parkville, md
    Hey guys, I've just finished building my 10/22 just to find out there aren't any steel challenges around here.
    Does anyone know of any place that holds matches for steel challenge or 22lr silhouette?

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Sanners lake in southern MD holds rimfire steel challenge every month. They have an outlaw match April 23.

ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    Hey guys, I've just finished building my 10/22 just to find out there aren't any steel challenges around here.
    Does anyone know of any place that holds matches for steel challenge or 22lr silhouette?

Got a .22 pistol to go with it? Look around for NSSF Rimfire matches.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    We hold a Rimfire Challenge and 2-Gun event at AAF&G in Annapolis on the 4th Sunday of each month. This event is open to the public. Let know if you'd like more information. It's designed for a pistol and rifle, but if you only have one, I"m sure a member would be happy to let you use one of theirs.

JoeR

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia

The SC matches in this part of the country are:

Ontelaunee Rod and Gun Club New Tripoli, PA- Monthly 6 stage matches leading up to the Tier 3 East Coast Steel Challenge Regional match, currently the largest attended match in the US, in Late September.

Old Bridge Gun Club, Old Bridge, New Jersey- Monthly matches leading up to the NJ State Steel Challenge Championship in July I think.

Quantico Marine Base, Quantico, VA- Monthly matches. However currently you have to be vetted to attend them, meaning turning in what amount to a security clearance form to get a 12 month pass to attend the matches.

Ann Arundel Fish and Game, Annapolis, MD- Monthly matches of 5-6 stages

Peacemaker National Training Center, Glengarry, WV- Number of matches per year depends on how many early weekends are taken up by NRA matches, which this year meant only last Saturday, 4/1/17.

Fredericksburg Practical Shooters, Fredericksburg, VA- They sometimes have Steel Challenge events in the hottest couple of months of the year instead of USPSA events. Did not have any last year.

These matches are all sanctioned so if you belong to USPSA/SCSA you will get credit for your scores and a ranking in the SCSA which will allow you to work towards the Grandmaster classification where guys like Max Michel and Jerry Miculek reside.

Also lots of NSSF and Outlaw Rimfire Challenge matches in this neck of the woods. No membership in NSSF is required. Requires that you have both a pistol and a rifle in the same division (Open, Limited, Manual, or Cowboy). Clubs with monthly and sometimes state championship matches include

Sanner's Lake Sportmens Club, Lexington Park, MD
    Ann Arundel Fish and Game, Annapolis, MD
    Lewistown Pistol Club, Lewistown, PA
    Old Bridge Gun Club, Old Bridge, NJ
    Northern Virginia Gun Club, Fredericksburg, VA

And something different:

Palmyra Sportmen's Association, Palmyra, PA (near Hershey)- If you like to shoot rimfire steel matches that involve tons of targets per stage they have practice matches every Sunday for their big rimfire match in October
    the PSA Rimfire Challenge where you shoot either rifle or pistol, or two person teams one shooting rifle and one shooting pistol. 4 stages of 35 or more knockdown targets, with magazine limits of 10 rounds per pistol and 25 per rifle. Match started in 2010 and has continued ever since. However it is usually in late October and sometimes conflicts with the date of the NSSF Rimfire World Championships which usually gets the 2nd weekend in October. The world match is again this year at the Cavern Cove Range near Huntsville, Alabama.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Monocacy Pistol Club in Frederick, MD holds an unsanctioned silhouette event from March to November called the Critters Match. Scaled down chickens, pigs, turkeys, and sheep targets at distances of 15-20-30-40 yards in which all adult shooters have to shoot free-standing. Juniors get to use the bench. Divisions for unlimited or stock, rifle or pistol.

ivwarrior

Jul 20, 2010
    Also lots of NSSF and Outlaw Rimfire Challenge matches in this neck of the woods. No membership in NSSF is required. Requires that you have both a pistol and a rifle in the same division (Open, Limited, Manual, or Cowboy).

Clubs with monthly and sometimes state championship matches include
    Lewistown Pistol Club, Lewistown, PA

I wasn't going to mention us, since it's a bit of a drive for most MD folks, but thanks. Lewistown runs NSSF Rimfire on the first Sunday of each month, generally from around April until about November. New for this year, we have Amazon Fire tablets and are using Practiscore for both registration and match scoring.* We currently run an 'outlaw' steel match on the second Sunday of each month, with 2 simple classes. Rimfire (all) and centerfire (all). The club has authorized getting the steel targets needed to affiliate and run Steel Challenge matches, so hopefully before the end of this season, our outlaw match will be converted.

I also just this weekend noticed that my friends at Bedford County Pistol League in Bedford, PA are adding Steel Challenge to their mix starting in June.

*Lewistown Pistol Club will be using Practiscore for registration/scoring for our NSSF Rimfire, "outlaw" steel match and IDPA matches. The provided link goes to the club's Practiscore page, where you should be able to see what matches currently have registration open. We are not yet accepting online payments, but hope to do so for at least our major matches.

JSC

Jun 30, 2014
    Eastern Shore Practical Shooters in Sudlersville, MD has a monthly Steel Challenge match. May's match is an all classifier match ... all 6 statges will be classifiers. I think the May match is on the 21st (3rd Sunday).

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Shot the SLSC 1st Annual Outlaw Rimfire Challenge Match at Sanners this weekend (2nd OA, 1st Senior). Weather turned out to be very good. Price included catered lunch even. Always well run events down at SLSC, just too bad its over 2.5 hours each way from me or I would do some of their monthly matches.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Peacemaker has added a 3rd sanctioned Steel Challenge match to the 2017 schedule, July 1 2017 in addition to the one coming up on June 3. As before its an all day match (8-4 or sooner depending on squad size) and you can sign up to shoot 1 or 2 guns. Since it would be a little hard logistically to have 2 holsters with 2 guns handy its easier to shoot one centerfire and one rimfire or PCC. As before if you want to shoot PCC sign up for any of the choices and then tell them at the match to change it to PCCI or PCCO depending on your sights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom