• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I have used the RCBS for 20 years, The Lee felt flimsy to me and I sold it. Frankford Arsenal looks like a knock off of the RCBS, but I wonder if it would be more comfortable in my hand. The top tang on the RCBS gets old after a while.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I like my Lee primer. It was my grandfathers and may be why it is still holding up. They don't make them like they used to applies I think. I like how I can feel when the primer is set vs. using the rock chucker where you have to be careful.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I prefer my old Lee tool with the round primer tray. Yes it takes odd shellholders, bu they aren't difficult to swap. I used teflon grease on the cam part and it's pretty smooth/hasn't worn out after decades.
    I have the Universal RCBS tool and just don't like it. I was also given one of the RCBS strip tools. Well, either buy more expensive primers or spend time putting primers in the strips. Just doesn't make sense to add unnecessary work when I can just dump in however many rows of primers out of the box with the trays.

And yes, this was grammatically atrocious.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The change from round tray to square tray was to make them "safer." I don't think there was ever any incident, but their MIGHT be one, some day.

The difference is, with the square tray, the primer is shielded when being inserted into the case. So it if detonates, it won't set off the enter tray.

But once the primer enters the case at all, the primer detonation would be mainly through the case.

My old round tray one, cracked around the top of the device, the end that holds the shell holder started to come off.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Both my black (auto prime XR?) and the red (ergo prime?) lee hand primers broke the plastic top window cover. I have to tape them down so they don't accidentally rotate and then start messing up on me. When they mess up, it will almost like double feed into the staging section. I've had a few times that when correcting the plastic, I did not notice a primer flipped on me. A few have made it past the loading and I noticed when putting it into a box and had to pull it apart.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    I bought the RCBS universal hand primer to replace the Lee that I started with. The Lee kept breaking the plastic adapters and bending the springs. I would not recommend the Lee at all. I am happy with the RCBS so far.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What were you doing with the Lee?

I primed probably 10,000 cases with my Lee.

gmharle

MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Millers, MD
    What were you doing with the Lee?

I primed probably 10,000 cases with my Lee.

I used it primarily for .308 and the flat metal spring (red below) kept bending and causing it to bind and get stuck. Happened to two different size large inserts. Maybe it was me squeezing too hard.

Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 7.37.56 AM.jpg

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I like my Lee primer. It was my grandfathers and may be why it is still holding up. They don't make them like they used to applies I think. I like how I can feel when the primer is set vs. using the rock chucker where you have to be careful.
    Agreed! The older Lee Autoprimes have worked so well for me, that when I finally broke the link in one, I scoured Ebay and found two more and snatched em up. I now have 3 and you can find replacement covers (mine were so old that they were yellowed) if you search about. ;)

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    After using Lee hand primers since the 80s I finally got tired of broken tabs on covers, flipped primers and double stacking. Had all the models except for the newest. Switched to the Lyman EZ prime and love it. Uses standard shell holders and you can change the shell holder by simply removing the lock collar and set the new size on (assuming same primer for the new caliber). Have primed over 1000 rounds of .223 plus .45 ACP and Colt and 9mm.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Attachments

• 807875.jpg
      807875.jpg
      29.8 KB · Views: 118
    • Lee-Auto-Prime-XR-Hand-Priming-Tool.jpg
      Lee-Auto-Prime-XR-Hand-Priming-Tool.jpg
      56.3 KB · Views: 109

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Yep, old round topper is my fave too. The cover is yellowing, but it hasn't cracked yet.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Yep, old round topper is my fave too. The cover is yellowing, but it hasn't cracked yet.

2 of mine have the yellowing tray syndrome.
    Picked up a few on eBay cheap, backups or
    in case. They just keep working, primed
    I don't know how many thousands of rounds
    with them only thing is the yellowing of the tray.

-Rock

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Mine is a light yellow but doesn't seem brittle at all. All the tabs are strong and it still clicks into place. Not going to be replacing it anytime soon.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Mine cracked at the red line. That is why I got the 21st century one.

All the goodness of the Lee, with even more goodness of a better body.

Attachments

• 807875 edit.jpg
      807875 edit.jpg
      12.3 KB · Views: 72

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom