• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    So I decided to visit Delmarva Sporting Clays range today. I called them several months ago & asked about .50BMG, the lady said I can shoot anything I want. Cool! I checked their webpage last night for last minute changes, & even called this morning saying I was coming all the way from Carroll County & wanted to know if the ranges were open. I pack up the AR50 & decide at the last minute to grab my new .308 RPR. Good thing I did cuz when I finally got there, they had a sign on the door saying no more .50BMG effective June 2016. Well shit, good thing I brought a back up. I told the guy I came from carroll & that the website wasn't updated, he said he thought it had been. Didn't even offer a discount on the $30 fee. I will say that the safety officer couldn't have been nicer, & the range had a nice relaxed atmosphere. No need for me to return though, cuz of the .50.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Some fvcktard was shooting a .50 over the berm and hit a barn across the river, there was a big discussion on one of the FB groups.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Some fvcktard was shooting a .50 over the berm and hit a barn across the river, there was a big discussion on one of the FB groups.

That is why people can't have nice places to shoot without major restrictions and lots of rules prohibiting stupid stuff! It only takes one idiot to mess things up.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Figured it was because of some idiot. I just wish they had updated their site.

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD

This is where many of our privileges get restricted because some idiot either does a "Watch this!" or simply lack of knowledge and training. SMH. Dumb MoFo's.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Fu*k.

Before blaming a shooter you might consider it's Battered Gun Range Owner Syndrome.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    It was bound to happen. I am waiting for someone to land a round on route 50. I was there one day and someone was using the rental bumpfire stock on the small right hand range. Pretty sure some rounds were going over the berm.

Billman

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
    May 18, 2010
    Sykesville, MD
    I was there last Sunday and learned the 338 Lapua magnum is no longer welcome either. However, after a brief discussion the mighty Lapua was allowed on the 500 yard range.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    A range I've shot at in SC made people first verify they were actually sighted in on a much shorter range before being allowed on the longer ranges.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Ha, I was there one time and 2 idiots where out on the pistol range. They were standing 5 ft from a steel plate shooting at it with pistols. Decoy was there and I said, "Hey, look at these 2 idiots. One of them is going to end up hitting the other." Sure enough, not as soon as I said it one of them started jumping up and down shouting. He got hit in the arm with a ricochet with blood running down his arm. They packed up and peeled out kicking gravel up as they went. I guess they headed to the Emergency room, but who knows since they rushed out of there without saying anything to anyone.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Ha, I was there one time and 2 idiots where out on the pistol range. They were standing 5 ft from a steel plate shooting at it with pistols. Decoy was there and I said, "Hey, look at these 2 idiots. One of them is going to end up hitting the other." Sure enough, not as soon as I said it one of them started jumping up and down shouting. He got hit in the arm with a ricochet with blood running down his arm. They packed up and peeled out kicking gravel up as they went. I guess they headed to the Emergency room, but who knows since they rushed out of there without saying anything to anyone.

yup, you called it right before it happened.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    DSC is one of my favorite ranges and they are good people. I wish them the best. However, they need to make some changes or else they're going to get shutdown after an unfortunate incident.

They've been working on the adult supervision thing. On busy days, they have a range officer who calls the range cold for target changes making sure actions are open and no handling of firearms while cold. A good start.

They should allow absolutely no centerfire rifles (unless they're pistol caliber) on the pistol bays. Too many idiots shooting steel targets at point blank ranges (as noted above).

On the 300 yard rifle range, the very right hand shooting position is such that if somebody were to improperly handle a firearm, it's pointing right at the pistol bayS to right. Heck, a dropped gun could easily end up pointing right at somebody shooting over to the right. It's not even a 45 deg angle from being on target and shooting somebody in the back. See the picture I've added.

The have steel plates all over the place and most are angled upwards. Steel is fun, but I believe they need to limit steel plates and other hard targets strictly to ones they provide and have installed properly.

DSC.png

Last edited:

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    You can shoot .50 at Izaak Walton in Damascus.

It is only a 100 yard range, but that is better than nothing.

They are accepting new members now.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I was curious where this range was located so I looked it up. Switched to Earth and I believe I see the barn(s) that were mentioned. Almost dead in line with the berms.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Yep, I know about Isaac Walton & MGN, but what I liked bout Delmarva was the 500yd range. It's apart from the others & judging from the maps looks like there's nothing beyond it like there is beyond the 300yd one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom