• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Which make did they have in stock outrider?

Mine was one of their E-4 dedicated lowers. Those were 'made to order' one time run. Check with Engage for what they are carrying now. They are closed on Sunday/Mondays.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I really like the New Frontier Glock mag lowers. JoeBob outfitters sells them branded as "Spartan". I got a blem one on sale for $125 which I made a rifle out of. I have a New Frontier lower I am slowing building a pistol with.

985BAC8E-A8DF-4F24-8C9D-A16CF354F696_zpsdtgxmuvr.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    I love doing 80% lowers but I use a jig that doesn't work with the New Frontier lowers.

You're more than welcome to borrow mine. You can even use my workshop to do it.
    Steel versus plastic mags, being able to find magazines at just about any gun store and/or big box sporting goods store.

Yeah, have you tried to find UZI or Colt mags? Geeze, it's tough. I have a colt adapter, but can't really use it because I don't have any mags.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I didn't have any issue locating some Colt style mags but I see the point about the availability of Glock mags.

Of course then you need a Glock compatible BCG and 98% of the BCGs out there are for the Colt design.

I thought maybe there was something else super compelling about the design.

I really like the 9mm AR platform; lots of fun to shoot. It's a filthy little beast though... :)

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Glock mags just made more sense for a lot of people just based on the fact they already own a Glock or are looking at purchasing one in the future. To share mags with multiple firearms are nice. Most pics I see of 9mm AR builds show their paired pistol with them, and rarely do I see an Uzi paired with an AR if at all, haha. That said there are a few people on here that probably could do that.

I went with the Glock lower based on convenience of mag support, the ability to share mags on firearms I own, as well as ergonomics of the magazine port compared to the Colt style. The ergonomics of the Glock mag well allows you to use the mag as a light grip support, if needed, in a nice angled position. The Colt layout is a vertical setup, which to me feels awkward as a vertical grip support feels more natural further up the setup.

Some others have mentioned one caveat though, the bolt layout. Glock capable bolts are machined to work with the Glock mags and guides, so you will either have to get a pre milled bolt or take it to a gunsmith to get milled which is an added cost.

I have yet to take the setup I picked up last week out to the range based on the fact I want to get a better buffer setup in the lower before taking the first shots. As some of you are aware, the blowback action of the 9mm can beat up your lower, so I want to make sure I have an appropriate setup for 9mm rather than the carbine buffer and spring that came with my lower.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia

Yeah, have you tried to find UZI or Colt mags? Geeze, it's tough. I have a colt adapter, but can't really use it because I don't have any mags.

I found several at the Chantilly gun show a few months ago. Picked up 2 OEM and 2 Metalform.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I didn't have any issue locating some Colt style mags but I see the point about the availability of Glock mags.

Of course then you need a Glock compatible BCG and 98% of the BCGs out there are for the Colt design.

I thought maybe there was something else super compelling about the design.

I really like the 9mm AR platform; lots of fun to shoot. It's a filthy little beast though... :)

Filthy little beast is right. Thanks you just gave mine a name. "Red Dragon" let's see who gets the reference.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

I found 6 old Colt mags (NOS) at the last Oaks show I attended. Price was $55 each, since I bought 6, he sold them for $50 each. There were 4 or 5 vendors with them that day. I cherry picked the best looking in the show. All were being sold for between $55 and $65.

They are out there, and in my opinion, are worth paying the price.

YMMV

Cicirich

Feb 10, 2013
    I really like the New Frontier Glock mag lowers. JoeBob outfitters sells them branded as "Spartan". I got a blem one on sale for $125 which I made a rifle out of. I have a New Frontier lower I am slowing building a pistol with.

985BAC8E-A8DF-4F24-8C9D-A16CF354F696_zpsdtgxmuvr.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    Which buffer and spring did you go with for both rifle and pistol? Is it reliable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom