• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I just ordered probably the most useless AR Upper. It is somthing to tinker with, and I suppose I could say somthing about the research value of taking a system to the far extremes of its design parameters.

A 7in 5.56. For when the blast and fireball of 10.5in just isn't enough.

But mean while, this PSA special comes with full length railing. I have a hankering for iron sights.

I know that front sights mounted on floating fore ends are normally a flawed idea, but given both the short potential radius, and hypothetical " 100yd or less" expected distances, can somthing metalic be done that doesn't totally suck ? Bonus points for flexibility between shoulder fired and arms length with same setup.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    You will be surprised how well and accurate it will shoot. I have a 7.5 inch with an Aimpoint PRO and Magpul BUIS that will hit steel at 300 yards with ease.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Huh. ( Mind whirring recalculating possabilities snd desiteable ammo possabilities.)

Is that in 5.56 or .300 ?

And I'm guessing, but does BUIS translate into front sight mounted on fore end ? Flip up ?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Flip up BUIS. Front sight is mounted on the top of a 6.75 inch free float YHM rail. It holds zero well. Keep in mind that this is minute of man gun not MOA. The steel on the 300 yard line at DelMarVa is 11"X16". I get hits easily from a standing position. My pistol uses a padded Phase 5 buffer tube.

I would be happy to meet you at the range to let you take it for a spin.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And in related insights

Meanwhile learned some more on 7 inch-ish ARs that is intriguing.

The other day I was looking thru the pocket guns & gear ( formerly mouseguns & gear). One of thr things he tested was thr Diamondback AR-ish pistol, and several types of ammo, for vel and gel.

Out of the 7.5in bbl, 55gr loads were giving +/- 2000 fps. But the really interesting part was the gel results with soft point/ poly tip bullet. While from typical rifle length bbls they tend to give groundhog suitable performance, ie imeadate massive expansion/ blowing up, at 2000 fps they give mushrooms and 10-12in penetration.

Yeah I know 5.56 super premium barrier blind loads can do very interesting thing, this way getting very good performance from inexpensive soft points has me psyched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom