• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So, I am feeling like it is time for me to legit look in to getting one. The questions I have are things MSP aren't clear about on their site and I am sure asking three people will get four answers from them.

For an 80%, I understand they are MD legal, but what surety is there if they are later banned, that I can prove mine was purchased and completed prior to any ban? That is my biggest concern on going that route. Not that I am thrilled about it, but could I register it with MSP once completed so they have a record that it was all done prior to any stupid legislation?

The next is, MSP state any restricted firearm requires an HQL to purchase, but they then go on to state later they don't consider a lower a handgun, but a firearm. For just a complete, but stripped, AR-15 lower, is an HQL required? Or are HQLs really only for handguns?

Thanks!

Tnt9506

Feb 27, 2016
    Poolesville
    From what I've learned, a stripped lower is treated like a regulated firearm and undergoes the 77r and a 7 day wait. No hql is needed for a lower. I've been rolling with this idea myself for a few months now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    No guarantee of proof of ownership without MSP registration, but isn't the point of an 80% so MSP doesn't know you own it?

I have no 80% items, but if I did, I wouldn't be keen to register them.

Mine is more the hassle of the 77r and lower price of an 80%. Also, still not sure I really want an AR, but I don't want the laws to change and then regret it 10 years later or something. I can finish an 80% in an evening easily if it looks likely that the laws may change. Running out to buy a stripped lower if it looks like the laws may change sounds expensive and risky when everyone else is doing the same thing.

They aren't all running over to my house to borrow my drill press if the laws look likely to change.

But I dunno, I may just head over to 2A tomorrow and see what they have.

mdram

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2011
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    Mine is more the hassle of the 77r and lower price of an 80%. Also, still not sure I really want an AR, but I don't want the laws to change and then regret it 10 years later or something. I can finish an 80% in an evening easily if it looks likely that the laws may change. Running out to buy a stripped lower if it looks like the laws may change sounds expensive and risky when everyone else is doing the same thing.

They aren't all running over to my house to borrow my drill press if the laws look likely to change.

But I dunno, I may just head over to 2A tomorrow and see what they have.

80%'s are running @ 70-80
    joebob has anderson for 49.95, add $30 transfer fee and its not a price issue

Shazam

Dec 20, 2012
    If your trying to plan for the future, owning both registered lower(s) and unregistered built from 80% lower(s) may be the best plan.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    not a lawyer nor marylander, but if you keep a receipt for an 80% lower, and purchase the parts at the same time, seems it would be difficult for the state to refute it was built on or about that timeframe.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Ok thanks. Right now I think I might go the 100% route and maybe stop by 2A next weekend. I might add an 80% later.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    There are gun shows in PA that sell 80% lowers. Unregulated, cash 'n carry. I've not bought any but see them all the time.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Cheap Stripped or 80% comes down to FFL transfer or not. Not that much on price differential. You want a quality lower of better grade material price goes up a bit.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom