• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I finally had a chance to run some through my Sako. I only put 8 rounds down range as I was fighting bipod and canted scope issues (so I had to rezero a couple of times, spent 20rnds of PPU M80 doing that...well and fun shooting).

Anyway, the one three shot group I am confident was all the ammo/rifle ended up being right under 1 MOA at 100yds. Which is nice, because I've been struggling to find what this rifle likes.

I still suspect the scope might be faulty, but right afterward I pulled a 1MOA 3 shot Group with the PPU M80, but the 5 shot group was more like 2 MOA.

Everything I saw on the target with the IMI 168gr MHPBT stuff was very consistent with no fliers. But the first few rounds were zeroing the scope with the ammo and then only that 3 shot group.

I had my oldest son with me and he had taken his turn with my 10/22 and running up on a cease fire and a fired husband if I didn't get him home pronto as his Mom was taking all of the kids off on a river adventure while I go back to work.

Anway, I think once I swap the scope, at a minimum I'll have more confidence with the rifle and I need to settle down some more. Be a little more deliberate. But 4 rounds of adjusting, 3 shot group and then a final round after a little adjustment right through the bullseye. All at 100.

I picked up two boxes from midway and it looks like they are all out right now, but I think SGAmmo has some in stock.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    from previous experience with IMI ammo out of the M1A is very consistent
    also the brass is nice, picked up a bunch of new, from the old Widener's
    years ago, should shoot rather well in the Sako once you get things in place

-Rock

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    My Sako doesn't seem to like 168gr gold medal match. Which is practically heretical, but I had a hard time getting 3-shot groups to do better than 2MOA out of it. Which is about what the PPU M80 tends to shoot. Though the box was probably 20 years old, though I'd think that wouldn't matter much. Been shooting through some stuff my wife's uncle gave me, as well as some new stuff. I stocked up on about 200rnds of PPU M80 as cheap shooting stuff that seems pretty accurate out of the rifle. I found PPU 150gr .308 SP also is a little under 2MOA out of the rifle, maybe 1.5. I just started my search on something that shoots really well for long range/precision shooting. 2MOA or better is great for hunting for me, because I am not too worried about shots past 100yds in Maryland and frankly 2MOA is a fine 300yd shot even if I am careful and remember to mind the drop (zeroed for 200yds, 8" drop at 300).

At some point I'd like to take this out to 500 or 600yds, so I need to find something that does better (it is an early 80's Sako forrester). The bit I can find is they seem to be about slower twist, preferring lighter bullets in the 150gr range or so. I kind of want to track down some Hornady 155gr MHPBT to see how it shoots out of it (I think I read it is 12.7:1- twist).

As it stand my AR-15 is a better shooter. Though I've spent a lot more time behind it and tried a lot more ammo. I think I am up to 6 kinds in the Sako so far and I've run about 20 through my AR-15. Though my AR-15 does not like light ammo even though it is 1:8. Best I've found is AO 55gr tipped Sierra blitzking and those are only a little under 2MOA. Nothing else lighter does better than 2 MOA. IMI m855 is about .75MOA, Gold dot 64gr is about half MOA, and PPU and IMI match 69, 75 and 77gr rounds are all a little under to a little over MOA.

Again, I think some is the shooter with that Sako. I've got my AR-15 setup so it fits me like a glove, not worried about recoil and it is stable as hell.

The Sako never feels good on sandbags and today with the first time using an iPod, which I spent half the time with the bipod the "wrong way". IE so pushing forward gently collapsed the legs instead of having it mounted so gentle pressure forward loaded the legs. After that it was shooting well once zero'd

Also the thing gets bitching hot after a few rounds. And the recoil (8lbs with scope). Trigger is A-mazing. It seems capable. Just need to take it out more to get used to it even though I've had it for 2 years now. Also run more kinds of ammo through it. I really need to find a day where I can take like 4-6 hours at the range with it and run through 60-80 rounds and do a few groups of several different kinds of ammo. Use my 10/22 between strings or something.

I am thinking I'll order a couple more boxes of the 168gr IMI from SGAmmo (the 150gr IMI doesn't shoot all that well, close to 3 MOA, but I was in general not shooting well that day, that was when the gold medal match was doing 2+ MOA). Maybe throw in a box of gold dot 168gr, PPU 168gr match and PMC 168gr match. Probably a new box of gold medal match as well and see if they have Hornady 155gr match.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Have you tried their 175grn?

Q

Not yet. My plan though is to buy a box of

IMI 168gr razor core
    IMI 175gr razor core
    PPU 168gr MHPBT
    PMC 168gr MHPBT
    Speer Gold dot 168gr

All from SGAmmo (another box of the IMI 168gr, cause it seems to shoot well).

I'll also throw in a box of PPU 155gr MHPBT if Cabela's has it in stock when I order some boots from them in a couple of weeks.

I probably won't get that SGAmmo order in until the end of October. I probably won't have the time to really shoot the .308 a lot until then. If I am lucky I can get it and my AR-15 to the range in the next week to swap scopes and quick rezero.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Cool, I shop at SG Ammo as well. They seem to have consistent and decent pricing. I would like to also do a variety test with my Savage Model 10FCP-SR 20".

So far I have:

PPU - 168 HPBT Match
    FGMM - 168 SMK
    FGMM - 175 SMK
    IMI Razor Core - 175
    M118 - 173

I have a few 308's I would like to run them through to see which one likes what.

Would be interested to see how they perform with what model rifle, and barrel twist/ length. Maybe get a sticky going on the rifle forum?

Q

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Not yet. My plan though is to buy a box of

IMI 168gr razor core
    IMI 175gr razor core
    PPU 168gr MHPBT
    PMC 168gr MHPBT
    Speer Gold dot 168gr

All from SGAmmo (another box of the IMI 168gr, cause it seems to shoot well).

I'll also throw in a box of PPU 155gr MHPBT if Cabela's has it in stock when I order some boots from them in a couple of weeks.

I probably won't get that SGAmmo order in until the end of October. I probably won't have the time to really shoot the .308 a lot until then. If I am lucky I can get it and my AR-15 to the range in the next week to swap scopes and quick rezero.

the Sako Forester L579 as with most Sako's twist rate may be in metric
    measurement, but it appears to have a 1-12(0r 12.5) twist from what go-fu info
    155gr bullets may work best as you have mentioned, it probably would
    shoot good with some 155gr Sierra's, Bergers, Lapua bullets.

-Rock

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    the Sako Forester L579 as with most Sako's twist rate may be in metric
    measurement, but it appears to have a 1-12(0r 12.5) twist from what go-fu info
    155gr bullets may work best as you have mentioned, it probably would
    shoot good with some 155gr Sierra's, Bergers, Lapua bullets.

-Rock

Yup, that is what I am thinking. Swapping scopes and heading to the range tomorrow for an hour to sight in both rifles (Bushnell engage going on my AR-15 and the Trophy XLT on the AR-15 is replacing the older Trophy XLT on the Sako as I am not sure it is working right).

I’ll bring the box to shoot another couple of groups once I have it sighted in again.

Hoping to track down some of those lighter match rounds. Several 150gr SP hunting rounds shoot right at 2MOA or somewhat under, PPU 150gr SP actually the best at around 1.5MOA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom