• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    This will disappear I bet. He was not charged for whatever the initial traffic violation was. I think that will moot the stop. Everything else will be fruit of the poisonous tree. His statement that he was a Trooper is true. Was is a past tense of "tobe". We will see.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    This will disappear I bet. He was not charged for whatever the initial traffic violation was. I think that will moot the stop. Everything else will be fruit of the poisonous tree. His statement that he was a Trooper is true. Was is a past tense of "tobe". We will see.

That doesn't make a lick of difference. As long as there was reasonable, articulable suspicion that criminal activity was afoot, that allowed for an investigation to continue and probable cause develop, or probable cause that a violation of law was immediately apparent, then that's all that is needed.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD

I disagree.

If he had just flipped out his commemorative badge and said he was “retired”, he might not have ended up in cuffs.

But he as loaded for bear, no LEOSA Permit, loaded shotgun, a trunk full of insignia jackets and body armor, topped off with a police type vehicle set up to look all LE inside.

That would have to offend any current MSP, and it did. He attempted an Under The Color Of Law stance and that put him in the Graybar Motel.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Fruit of the poison tree applies to evidence that would not otherwise have been obtained except that the LEO made a mistake (accidental or deliberate) and violated his rights.

The fact that he was not charged does not make the traffic stop invalid, but beyond that, it appears that he voluntarily offered the other information when asked.

Last edited:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    If they have reason to believe he used his creds to improperly buy the mags, the charges will stick.

Prosecutors and police always throw all the charges they can think of, then plead them away later. He was impersonating a police officer! smh

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I am not trying to defend the Dirtbag I am just saying which way it will go. Only a month to go to see what the results are.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I am not trying to defend the Dirtbag I am just saying which way it will go. Only a month to go to see what the results are.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

If the jury convicts you of impersonating a police officer, your credibility is zero. They wont believe your story you bought the mag before 2013 or out of state either. The Prosecutor is gambling that the guy does not have a receipt.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    He did a lot of show-and-tell at the traffic stop, then lawyered up when the cuffs went on.

Without evidence of MD mag purchases, that charge probably won’t get traction unless the lawyer is a goofball

Last edited:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Guess he's feeling the other side of the blue line now. Creates a paradox who to root for.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Saw a short write up in the police reports the other day, but here's the rest of the story https://smnewsnet.com/archives/427882/former-maryland-state-police-officer-arrested-for-impersonating-a-police-officer-and-firearms-violation/

What's concerning to me is the last charge at the bottom of the page " DETACH MAG.OVER 10 RNDS CR 4-305"

CR 4-305 is the part of FSA2013 that says you can't purchase, sell transfer etc. over a 10 round mag. Doesn't say you can't have or use one.

Wasn’t there a thread recently regarding CR 4-305? I can’t search too well on my phone

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Read the article. My guess is that the 4-305 charge doesn't stick in court.

I found this interesting: "...was previously a State Trooper but resigned on May 07, 2007 prior to the adjudication of any administrative charges."
    Not sure exactly what that means but I know what I think it means.

It means 'fired for misconduct'.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    He is a amateur . 16 year old kid in Jersey stole a cop car with all the gear than used it for robberies :lol2:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    The Prosecutor is gambling that the guy does not have a receipt.

doesn't the prosecution have to prove he bought in md with his fake or expired creds? hopefully the onus isn't on a defendant to prove where and when he bought something that is otherwise legal.

Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    I'm wondering if he was able to keep and/or steal all his old gear? His Berretta was also stamped "Maryland State Police" How does a person get fired and still have all the state issued gear?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I'm wondering if he was able to keep and/or steal all his old gear? His Berretta was also stamped "Maryland State Police" How does a person get fired and still have all the state issued gear?

According to the article he wasn't fired.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    According to the article he wasn't fired.

He resigned prior to the adjudication of administrative charges. Same thing.

He was 54 when he left, had he just 'retired' he would have been able to carry under LEOSA. The fact that he didn't have a permit further supports that he didn't leave on good terms.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    When the MSP went from the 92's to the 40 caliber - whatever number it was, Troopers were allowed to purchase their previously issued 92's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom