• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • md417

Feb 2, 2013
    Pasadena
    I travel back and forth the Florida several times a year for work and vacation. I have a Utah CC and a Florida CCW. I carry when I travel in the states that I am allowed to. I secure the firearm as state law requires when I am in South Carolina. Planning on taking a cruise out of Florida and will be driving down. Can't take the firearm on the ship and really don't want to leave it in my vehicle for a week while we are on the cruise. Even though I have a lockbox bolted in the vehicle still do not feel comfortable leaving a firearm in a parking lot for a week while on the ship. Anyone know where one could keep a firearm safe and secure in a situation like this. Don't like to travel without carrying and really don't want to leave it at home. Travel will be 2 days each way, like to take a leisurely drive plus I have little kids and being couped up for long drives they get uncomfortable. Thought about a bank and trying to get a safety deposit box but they may find it odd I want a box just for a week and also being out of state.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I believe we have a few members who now live in Florida. Maybe make a request and see if anyone down there can help you.

Good Luck!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    good question. If they are an FFL, ant the gun is there for 24 hours, it must go in the BB. Is it considered a transfer when you go bavck to retrieve it?

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    good question. If they are an FFL, ant the gun is there for 24 hours, it must go in the BB. Is it considered a transfer when you go bavck to retrieve it?

That is absolutely correct.

The “Repair/Customizing Return 4473 Exception” (as provided by 27 C.F.R. § 478.124(a)) to the 4473/NICS requirement applies when a repaired/customized firearm is being returned to the person who provided the firearm to the FFL for repair/customizing work. Here, we don't have such a repair factual basis and so, it would be a disposition from the licensee's inventory to an unlicensed individual on a non-repair basis thus, the 4473/NICS background check process would be required for the OP to get his firearms back.

And what is a real bummer... if we are dealing with handguns, well then, the whole 18 U.S.C. § 922(b)(3) / 27 C.F.R. § 478.99(a) "Interstate Handgun Transfer Ban" restrictions would apply. Accordingly, that Florida FFL would have to ship the OP's handgun(s) to an FFL in the state of residence of the OP so that the 4473/NICS process could be undertaken so the OP could get his handguns back.

Yikes!!!

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Drop the gun off at a local FFL for some inexpensive repair to replace a small, cheap, unstocked part you removed and kept with you. The FFL will most likely need to order the part and you get free storage for the cost of a minor repair plus you end up with a spare part. And you meet the repair exception. You're welcome.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    he is legal to carry everywhere but two places.

SC which can go in the glove box and the ship.

he is looking for ways to be able to carry it,

Not for ways not to.

FRANKCASTLE

Apr 28, 2013
    I travel back and forth the Florida several times a year for work and vacation. I have a Utah CC and a Florida CCW. I carry when I travel in the states that I am allowed to. I secure the firearm as state law requires when I am in South Carolina. Planning on taking a cruise out of Florida and will be driving down. Can't take the firearm on the ship and really don't want to leave it in my vehicle for a week while we are on the cruise. Even though I have a lockbox bolted in the vehicle still do not feel comfortable leaving a firearm in a parking lot for a week while on the ship. Anyone know where one could keep a firearm safe and secure in a situation like this. Don't like to travel without carrying and really don't want to leave it at home. Travel will be 2 days each way, like to take a leisurely drive plus I have little kids and being couped up for long drives they get uncomfortable. Thought about a bank and trying to get a safety deposit box but they may find it odd I want a box just for a week and also being out of state.

Overthinking this. just lock it in the box nothing illegal bout it

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    there is no substitute for sheer genius sir.

""I dropped the firearm for a safety / function test."

Unless they send it to manufacturer, and it doesn't come back until AFTER you leave to go home.. (this is just the way MY luck works)

Fnh57

Sep 30, 2017
    Baltimore area.
    I think it's pretty safe in your box for a week. No one knows it's in a box or in your vehicle. Make sure the box is not visible. If you are still not comfortable I would suggest you contact a gun store in the area. For a small fee I'm sure they will lock it in their safe. Or drop it off for a cleaning and get it after you are back from the ship. It will be well secured in the gun store. Make sure to choose a store that puts the guns away in a safe at the end of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom