• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    P226 with about 6000 rounds through it. When I slap a mag into the well sometimes, if hit hard enough, the slide will move forward into battery itself? Anyone know what would cause this?

I'll admit I messed with the trigger P-SAIT set screw but it happened a couple times before adjusting it.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    My first guess is the slide release spring is weak. It will happen with any auto occasionally though....

There is always a possibility when that happens, a round does not seat properly, or the extractor doesn't seat correctly on the round.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    It's just the inertia moving the slide release. As has been mentioned, replacing the SR spring will likely fix it. Personally I consider it a plus as long as I have to slap the mag in hard to make it happen :)

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    My brand new P220 Combat did that, and does still to this day. That pistol MAYBE has 300 rounds through it. Tracked the problem down to the slide release being pushed in a little when the mag was dropped. The force of the new mag going in pushed the release back just enough to send the slide into battery.

This only happens with an "enthusiastic" reload.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Enjoy it. No big deal. What is the issue you have with that happening? 6000 rounds sounds a little enthusiastic and it's just happening?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Common with a wide variety of semi-autos. You have basically 2 free options - Don't send the mag home sharply, or enjoy saving 1 step during reloads.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    The downside is when you assume the slide will drop, and it doesn't.

Or you tell your Uncle about it, he tries to do it - but breaks 3 HK USP .45 10rnd magazines while attempting to seat the mag/drop the slide.

And never even offers to repair/replace said magazines.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    When you seat the mag, if you drive your palm into the back of the grip, so that you strike it in more of a forward vector, it momentarily pushes the frame forward of the slide(which mechanically is the same as slightly pulling the slide back) and allows the catch to drop free.

You can induce this in most semis with that hard forward smack, although some (m&p, I'm looking at you) are easier than others.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    When you seat the mag, if you drive your palm into the back of the grip, so that you strike it in more of a forward vector, it momentarily pushes the frame forward of the slide(which mechanically is the same as slightly pulling the slide back) and allows the catch to drop free.

You can induce this in most semis with that hard forward smack, although some (m&p, I'm looking at you) are easier than others.

Thanks everyone.

Whenever I try to reproduce it I cannot. It doesn't happen frequently but when it does I'm always a little taken back and wonder if the next round has seated properly.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I've had it happen on a Gen 3 Glock 17 using Magpul mags. I racked the slide afterwards a bit too vigorously and opened my hand. I noticed when i picked up a 30 cal ammo can full of sand for the second part of the drill. I'm not a fan of the machine doing extra work it isn't necesarrily designed to do. I prefer racking the slide or hitting the button meself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom