• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    This is what happened when a Belgium Browning TBolt arrived with a stock broken by the post office people. I notified the seller and he filed a claim with USPS for the total amount figuring they'd adjust the amount to cover damage and lost of value. The USPS claims people sent the FFL guy a letter with my name on it. They wanted me to "present" the item and packaging to a post office near me. I only took the broken stock and packaging. The post office supervisor told me she had to take the gun and packaging and hold it, file a report to the claims department "then who knows?". They might ask for her to send it to them, they might just deny the claim, they might return the item, it may get shoved around the post office for a couple months, they might send it back to the seller, they might keep it and send the seller the money, "who knows". I couldn't file the claim again because the seller had already filed. Long story short. Ever who has the item and packaging and who gets the money should file the claim. I filed for partial value, for damage and diminished value. I sent a certified letter, receipts and pictures and asked for half the value $275. They sent the seller a letter which he sent me. A letter denying the claim and said we could appeal and send estimates from a reputable dealer. I got emails from three dealers who specialize in Browning restorations. One said $525, another $300, another said new stock $900. About 10 days later they sent the seller $300. He was honest and sent me the money. Lesson learned.. whoever has the item and gets the money should file the claim, you need receipts, pictures and an estimate if you want partial value and to keep the item. It took about 2 1/2 months including mail time and such. If I would have sent everything together and filed the claim myself it probably would have taken about a month. Another problem though was the gun went to an FFL agent, not me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom