• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    Just curious, I haven't been into the technical side of archery lately but...

What weight tip and/or broadhead weight does everyone prefer these days?

I've used 100gr forever and had great results and ventured into the 85gr weight a few times. The only benefit I can see with the 85gr weight is a +5 fps in arrow speed (the last time I measured). Using my Bowtech 360, my arrows pretty much shoot flat out to 40 yards with a 380gr total weight arrow. I'm shooting 65lbs @ 29 inches...

I like the kinetic energy with my 100gr tips but I'm just curious to see what's popular these days. So, speed or energy, what weight?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I use heavier weight broadhead (125) because it increases accuracy. A heavier broadhead does generally not affect kinetic energy or momentum (energy =.5* mass * velocity squared). If anything, many bows are mildly more efficient with more weight, so my bow has somewhat more KE with a heavier broadhead. It does affect velocity (which means more mass but slower moving). But more weight forward improves accuracy. I've noted some people go all the way up to 150 or 175 gr broadhead. however, I like the 1.75" cutting diameter of the 125 gr broadhead I use. As far as success.. I often drop the deer in their tracks.

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    I'm still stuck in the speed bow mind set...

I was gonna say, a lot of my friends shoot 125gr. I haven't been to a 3D shoot in many years, do clubs even still have them? That's where I'd always see results of different arrows that I would use...

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    You can not go wrong with either 100 or 125 grain tips/broadheads.

Both are good for 3D and deer hunting. It comes down to which performs better with your rig.

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    You can not go wrong with either 100 or 125 grain tips/broadheads.

Both are good for 3D and deer hunting. It comes down to which performs better with your rig.

I guess I'm going to stick with 100gr, seems like a good balance between speed and accuracy.

Thanks!

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I have been switching between various 100gr NAP mechanicals with my crossbow and I never even have to check zero. They all fly just like field points. My current favorite is the spitfire XXX but with good shot placement they all seems to be pretty deadly.

mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    I've always leaned toward a heavier broadhead to achieve the best FOC as possible. This is just my personal preference... most guys are so obsessed with speed that they overlook so many other key points IE the lightest arrow isnt always the best philosophy!

The leading tip/edge of an arrow needs to be in charge and control the arrows path. Like a lawn dart effect, you dont want the back of the arrow to try to drive the arrow lol.

There is a direct correlation between kinetic energy and broadhead/arrow weight but there is a breaking point!

So many things, shaft diameter, arrow weight, flething size and or type affect flight characteristics!

Broadhead weight is really dependent on your arrow set up!!

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    Agreed, I used to frequent Essex Bowman and Baltimore bowman where this discussion took place, now all I have is the internet. For now I'm using a Bowtech RPM 360 29" @ 63lbs with a Easton Da' Torch w/100gr tip, weighing 384gr @ 290fps, that seems to be my happy place...

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    You really can overthink this- I have used everything from Bear Razorheads to Nap and Allen (cheapies) to Zwickey Eskimos on traditional gear with either aluminum or cedar arrows---heavy and slow --under 200fps but they blow thru deer everytime. Then I got old and switched to an Excalibur crossbow-I have been using a random bunch of expandables for the 4-5 years on both carbon (Walmart) and aluminum bolts---you know what---they all shoot to pretty much point of aim (scoped)-and again blow thru the deer. The one I shot last week had a Rage copy from ebay-(not $15 each)--straight thru the deer at 20 or so yards and right where I aimed it. It was mangled up on exiting but the deer bled out quickly---I heard it fall. If you are not shooting toothpicks most expandables seem to fly just like fieldpoints.

Last edited:

mdunphyjr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2010
    North point / Dundalk
    You really can overthink this- I have used everything from Bear Razorheads to Nap and Allen (cheapies) to Zwickey Eskimos on traditional gear with either aluminum or cedar arrows---heavy and slow --under 200fps but they blow thru deer everytime. Then I got old and switched to an Excalibur crossbow-I have been using a random bunch of expandables for the 4-5 years on both carbon (Walmart) and aluminum bolts---you know what---they all shoot to pretty much point of aim (scoped)-and again blow thru the deer. The one I shot last week had a Rage copy from ebay-(not $15 each)--straight thru the deer at 20 or so yards and right where I aimed it. It was mangled up on exiting but the deer bled out quickly---I heard it fall. If you are not shooting toothpicks most expandables seem to fly just like fieldpoints.
    This!!!!

And possum man, hook me up with a possum baby!

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I've always leaned toward a heavier broadhead to achieve the best FOC as possible. This is just my personal preference... most guys are so obsessed with speed that they overlook so many other key points IE the lightest arrow isnt always the best philosophy!

If the arrow travels fast... right by the target and misses, what good is it, right?

This!

wait - they sell rage knockoffs on ebay?

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    Re:Rage knock offs---haven't looked recently but I bought a slew of them a few years ago on ebay couple of $ each-they came in lots of 12--they seem to be disposable but sometimes can be reused--the real ones seem disposable too. Heck , I only use a couple every year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom