• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ok , got me curious , I read the link .

So, if I am reading correctly , other than chambering .22lr , and implied to be inherently safe , there are NO Rules as to equipment ? To be competitive , rifle must group sub 4moa , out to 400yds ?

I see for 2019 , introduced two classes, Semi and Bolt. ( Presumably nobody shoots a single ) . In light of the accuracy requirements, and generous time limits , were semi's even somewhat competitive before getting their own class ?

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia

So, if I am reading correctly , other than chambering .22lr , and implied to be inherently safe , there are NO Rules as to equipment ? To be competitive , rifle must group sub 4moa , out to 400yds ?

I see for 2019 , introduced two classes, Semi and Bolt. ( Presumably nobody shoots a single ) . In light of the accuracy requirements, and generous time limits , were semi's even somewhat competitive before getting their own class ?

They can be. I have a Remington 597 that Scott Volquartsen help me build that shoots sub-MOA with either CCI SV or Norma Match-22. I used it for free-standing metallic silhouette for several years. I may try it out in the Lapua PRS next year if I get time from my action shooting.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    Semi-autos are more than capable, they can also be an advantage on some of the stages that require quick follow-up shots (i.e. spinners), see video below.

dghboy315 can confirm, but I believe that semi-autos have an even number of match wins compared to bolts.

Photos of past matches can be found here: https://www.macguns.photo/

timbo76

Oct 13, 2018
    Perry Hall
    It's a great time, I've shot at 2 of them so far (Baltimore and York), will be at the match in Baltimore come Sept.
    Everyone there is very friendly and very helpful. I've never done any type of competitive shooting before and this has been a real eye opener. I'm going to try the whole schedule in 2020.
    As far a guns, in semi I use a Ruger 10/22, and so do alot of others. In bolt, I've seen guys use a Ruger Precision, CZ, and Vudoo.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD

There are rules on the MARS website. Baltimore/York clubs have their own rulesets that are very similar.
    Pretty much single magnified optic,magazine fed, scope that has a reticle you can dial/hold,bipods and bags allowed unless stated in the COF(course of fire/stage breif). Time limits are not exacly generous, but they give you time to complete the COF if youre proficient with your firearm/equipment.

I would aim for a 1 MOA rifle/ammo combo and solid dope from 5yrds-300 as best you can. Dont settle for less than 3 moa @ 200yrds for your ammo choice. Start checking groups at 50yrds (50 yrd zero is most common) and take the winners from that group and check at 100/200 yrds and see what brands are still doing well.
    Good luck and we hope to see you at a match soon!

dghboy315

Dave Luu
    Mar 5, 2012
    Rockville, MD

Thanks for the question. Everyone has been giving good advice.

You are correct, their are no other equipment rules.

To be competitive, an MOA rifle is preferable. We probably won’t have another 400 yard stage. 300 will be max but mostly 25-200.

Single shot is allowed but someone would have to be very proficient to be competitive. Then again I have seen it.

Semis are very competitive.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom