• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott92

Feb 24, 2011
    Near Annapolis, MD
    I recently heard Massad Ayoob recommend that civilians use the same ammo for home defense as the local police use. Does anyone know what ammo the MD State Police and Anne Arundel County police use in their .40 S&W? Thanks.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Hydrashock or HST...HST is a little hotter. Cant go wrong with either.

HSTs expand better than hydrashock. The HSTs do not have the same issues with denim or thick clothing binding the post in the hydashocks. HSTs come in pretty much all the same loads.

Typical 230 grain Hydra shock is the top pic and the same size HST below. The HST "blossoms" whereas the hydra shock deforms.

I personally buy my "LEO Only" HD rounds online since most shops in MD do not carry them for civilian use.

Attachments

• hydra shock.jpg
      hydra shock.jpg
      24.5 KB · Views: 1,010
    • Bullets-tested-2.jpg
      Bullets-tested-2.jpg
      30.7 KB · Views: 1,329
    • glock hst pics.gif
      glock hst pics.gif
      110.3 KB · Views: 1,470

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    AA County no longer carries Hydra Shoks, they switched to 180gr. Gold Dots a few years ago.

I am not a fan of the Hydra Shok in .40. I saw enough recovered ones from autopsies that I decided I didn't like how it performed. I think it's a great round in 9mm, in fact I still carry it in my LC9. I think it's fine for .45 too if the weapon in question will feed it reliably. Has also been my experience it's one of the crankier .45 JHP's as far as feeding due to its shape. Bullets designs take on different performance characteristics when you change calibers and one that may be great in one caliber could also be marginal in another. It's old technology and you really want a bonded round for the energy delivered when a 40 caliber round hits. Gold Dots, Winchester SXT, or Golden Sabre are the three I would recommend for that caliber.

Just my .02.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    AA County no longer carries Hydra Shoks, they switched to 180gr. Gold Dots a few years ago.

I am not a fan of the Hydra Shok in .40. I saw enough recovered ones from autopsies that I decided I didn't like how it performed. I think it's a great round in 9mm, in fact I still carry it in my LC9. I think it's fine for .45 too if the weapon in question will feed it reliably. Has also been my experience it's one of the crankier .45 JHP's as far as feeding due to its shape. Bullets designs take on different performance characteristics when you change calibers and one that may be great in one caliber could also be marginal in another. It's old technology and you really want a bonded round for the energy delivered when a 40 caliber round hits. Gold Dots, Winchester SXT, or Golden Sabre are the three I would recommend for that caliber.

Just my .02.

I was a big fan of the hydrashock but seeing how it performed against clothing really had me searching. I saw how the "replacement" HSTs performed and I was in love very similar to Golden Sabres nice big wound track.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    What is his reason? I am guessing for a defense saying " If it's good enough for my local PD it's good enough for me"?

Scott92

Feb 24, 2011
    Near Annapolis, MD
    Thank you all very very much for your time answering my question. I really appreciate it. My understanding of why it was recommended was that local police departments have completed testing for the local environment of weather, uses, and situations and therefore you would be getting the advantage of their study for your decision making.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    As much as I like Ayoob, I would ignore that advice and buy the ammo that performs best out of your gun. I'll second what Zoostation said: Gold Dots, Winchester SXT, or Golden Sabre.

Typically, when I buy defensive type ammo, I buy two boxes. I shoot one to make sure it works, and load the other box. After a year or so, I shoot that and replace it with new ammo.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    As much as I like Ayoob, I would ignore that advice and buy the ammo that performs best out of your gun. I'll second what Zoostation said: Gold Dots, Winchester SXT, or Golden Sabre.

Typically, when I buy defensive type ammo, I buy two boxes. I shoot one to make sure it works, and load the other box. After a year or so, I shoot that and replace it with new ammo.

True. I would rather have a round that may not expand like my local police dept round that feeds through my weapon than one that gets to the size of a dinner plate that doesn't have a chance to expand that big.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    What is his reason? I am guessing for a defense saying " If it's good enough for my local PD it's good enough for me"?

When you get paid to speak sometimes you'll say something that really has no merit. Other times since you get paid you come up with some relatively crazy stuff that you can rationalize and someone might buy into it.

IMHO.....buy a good quality JHP round....fire a few boxes to make sure it works...and be happy.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    get one of the following:

gold dot
    hst
    pdx-1
    golden saber bonded(the bonded is important as non-bonded show jacket separation)
    critical duty
    dpx

You'll be happy with any of them in 40.

As for me...I'm happy with the capacity of a 9mm with the performance of these.....

.791" expansion and 12.75" penetration...that'll work.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The HST is superior technology to the Hydarshok. Just because the police use it doesn't automatically make it the most effective to defend your life..

There are better choices IMO.

I use HST's and GD's in my 45's and Underwood in my 10mm's.

Sorry Mas.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83

Several folks in the past have suggested that a private person should carry the same handgun and ammo that the local cops carry. The theory is that if it is good enough for the police, it is a good choice for a private person.

Some of the same folks have also written that you should never use a handload in a self defense situation because a lawyer could claim you were making rounds that were so nasty that a factory would never make them. One person on another forum did a legal search and was unable to find any proof that has occurred.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Is there any case law that proves any of this? Without some real life cases to prove how a jury might think, this iis mostly conjecture IMO.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Is there any case law that proves any of this? Without some real life cases to prove how a jury might think, this iis mostly conjecture IMO.

It's all silly fodder really.

Guns in any caliber with any load can be lethal.....it's arm chairing by a bunch of folks who have no experiance in the real world.

It would take an expert about 10 minutes to put any claims like that to rest with a judge and maybe 15 minutes with a jury.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom