• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Via Email:

District of Columbia CCW Instructors,

Due to recent events in the District of Columbia I have been asked to reach out to all CCW Instructors registered in the District of Columbia and ask you to add to your course of instruction a segment to include CCW Holsters. I fully realize that at this time you are not required to discuss holsters in your classes. I’m sure that you will all agree that it was an accidental oversite by the City and Department not to include this topic in your instruction.

DCMR Title 24 Chapter 23 section 24-2344.2 States “A licensee shall carry any pistol in a holster on their person in a firmly secure manner that is reasonably designed to prevent loss, theft, or accidental discharge of the pistol.” We all know that there are thousands of different CCW holsters available and many more are created every day. It has come to the attention of the Firearms Registration and Conceal Carry Office that a “belt clip” is available on the market and being sold as a “holster”. Not only does this “Belt Clip” offer no protection for an accidental discharge but it also is not reasonably designed to prevent theft or loss nor does it firmly secure the weapon. It has been determent by the Firearms Registration and Concealed Carry office that this type of “Belt Clip” and anything similar to it do not meet the definition of a holster and are not permitted in the District of Columbia for use by CCW Permit holders.

The following link will take you to a site that sells a Smith & Wesson “Belt Clip” that is easily installed by removing the slide rear cover plate and installing a replacement plate. The replacement plate has 2 screw holes that allow the ambidextrous installation of the “Belt Clip.” https://www.clipdraw.com/product/smith-wesson-mp-pistols-belt-clip-for-concealed-carry/ You can find installation instructions on that same site as well as you tube here https://youtu.be/UpVAZDo-imM

This determination has been made with the safety of the CCW Permit holder in mind as well as the safety of innocent bystanders and first responders. Please pass this information along to your students so we can ensure that the District of Columbia maintains a high standard for safety while providing an opportunity for people to exorcise their second amendment right while they are here.

Respectfully,

Security Officer's Management Branch
    Corporate Support Bureau
    Metropolitan Police Department

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Purse , pocket , waist band or any other means of carry should be with a proper holster with trigger protection . IMHO

Anyone that carry's with that clip configuration is asking for trouble .

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Wether carrying or in a glove box, always protect the trigger.

Always keep your tools on you, never in a purse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Purse , pocket , waist band or any other means of carry should be with a proper holster with trigger protection . IMHO

Anyone that carry's with that clip configuration is asking for trouble .

8 years, 4 calibers, 5 Guns later I’ve never shot myself

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    When you shoot yourself in the nuts , don't look to me for donor nuts :D

Steve Irwin approves of my post ...:innocent0;)

If i make an event I’ll let you try it (then lock it up). Your belt becomes your trigger guard and actually does a great job. I’m NEVER in a rush to reholster! Those YouTube videos of guys quickly reholstering is silly unless transitioning to a rifle but i don’t carry a rifle lol.

Plus come December if i shoot my nuts off i won’t care after about 3 weeks of pain anyway lol. Once this 2nd kid comes my nuts are getting snipped anyway.

Sorry cypherpunk but at least your getting free bumps lol

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    How about loose in my fanny pack?

Me personally I would carry that way as long as "Nothing" else is placed in that section of the fanny pack .

I have a dress 1911 I want to carry cocked & locked and I still have not mustered up enough confidence to carry it .
    I realize part of that is on me .

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    How about loose in my fanny pack?

How about in your knee high tube socks with shorts?

How about in your all white new balance sneakers?

Still rocking cargo shorts?

You buying matching neon shirts for the fam when hitting the boardwalk?

^^^^^2007 Uno champion boys

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Tell someone their firearm is safe to some degree because it has a trigger guard .... I don't think that is a good idea.

Isn't one of the main safety rules to treat every firearm as it is loaded? Is it right to say it is safer to any degree because one of the 1387 holster makers' trigger guards is safe. I like the clip idea.

I'll probably catch some shit for this post LOL.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The quoted portion of DCMR specifies " on the person " , so purse briefcase , dayplanner, etc would be No Bueno .

A " fanny pack " that is designed on purpose to carry a gun , and is worn securely belted around the waist , would certainly seem to meet all the listed requirements . A generic pack , or one hand carried or slung ( over shoulder ? cross body ? ) would be more ambiguous .

Am I advocating FP as alternative to typical pistols carried in typical manners ? Nope . Are there contexts where wearing a FP would be reasonably plausible, or even fit in ? Yup . ( Hiking trail, trout stream , area frequented by nerdy sightseers ) Are there certain contexts where no other practical way to pack a full size or larger pistol ? Yes you doubters , there are . Most obvious , wearing swim suit or jogging shorts . Otherwise you would be either unarmed , or packing a mini-revolver or .25acp .

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    If i make an event I’ll let you try it (then lock it up). Your belt becomes your trigger guard and actually does a great job. I’m NEVER in a rush to reholster! Those YouTube videos of guys quickly reholstering is silly unless transitioning to a rifle but i don’t carry a rifle lol.

Plus come December if i shoot my nuts off i won’t care after about 3 weeks of pain anyway lol. Once this 2nd kid comes my nuts are getting snipped anyway.

Sorry cypherpunk but at least your getting free bumps lol

The wonderful thing about America (excluding certain states and a District that shall remain nameless) is that you are free to maim yourself in whichever way you choose and live with the consequences.

That rig is just too risky for my taste. But that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom