Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    How do you cook 'em?

Which cuts are your faves etc?

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I usually just do the Fillet and backstraps...whatever seasoning you put on them, always cook medium rare.

wichestshire, soy, honey, oil, onions...marinate for a while.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I usually just do the Fillet and backstraps...whatever seasoning you put on them, always cook medium rare.

wichestshire, soy, honey, oil, onions...marinate for a while.

This. 3 minutes per side or so and they are done on the grill. Usually marinate them for a couple hours first.

SCV/SAR Patriot

UNRECONSTRUCTED
    I marinate backstrap steaks in olive oil and Montreal steak seasoning then either cook on grill or cast iron skillet. If I have time I’ll lightly smoke with mesquite and hickory before cooking. Also like to pound them thin, flour and chicken fry in cast iron skillet using the marinade as well. Simple and delicious.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Make a quick fry sandwich

slice jerky thin
    season with garlic powder,salt and pepper,small amount of thyme
    put steaks in hot olive oil and butter
    ,start turning the steaks as soon as the last one hits the oil til they have all been turned
    turn off the burner
    place steaks on paper towel to drain(optional)

if you want some cheese ,dont try melting it during the cooking phase....meat will be over cooked
    make a sandwich and enjoy

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    The most important thing is to use high heat, quick cooking in oil. If you go beyond medium-rare it can dry out. Minimal seasoning required. As others said, just some salt/pepper and maybe garlic or herb. I took a young deer on Saturday and can't wait to dig into the tenderloins tonight. I slice them about 1 inch thick, cook them like little scallops and usually eat them all with my fingers before I can manage to get them on a plate with sides. Sooooo good.

For thicker cuts, add several Tbs. butter to the pan and spoon the melted butter over the meat as it cooks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpKfO6onH6E

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I'll typically cut 2" sections of the loin then butterfly them so they resemble an 8.
    Salt, pepper, garlic powder and hot butter in cast iron. My family likes rare. Anything over medium and they try to feed it to the dogs. Lol

Venison is the Best meat I've ever had and the Worst meat I've ever had!

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    I like mine "as-in-life" rare so I cut backstraps as 4-6" roasts. Much harder to overcook this way. Couple shakes of montreal steak seasoning, grill, then belly.

If i was trying to make butterfly steaks under 3/4" thick or a hot dog sized tenderloin I would sear in very hot cast iron pan that was just used to make bacon. You can never be to liberal with the bacon grease application.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    wifey marinates steaks, tenderloin etc in some mix of ketchup, bbq and soy sauce and/or italian dressing. broil in oven for just a couple of minutes. better than anything at any restaurant i've been to.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Venison is the Best meat I've ever had and the Worst meat I've ever had!

Absolutely and this is why I don't use it for steaks. I will grill roasts, but 1 minute too long for deer steak and you got shoe leather. Besides after making a rolled roast, no way I would use it for steaks.

I'll have to get a picture, but we go to a Mennonite butcher and buy Ribeye steaks from there. My wife sears them on the grill after Memphis rub on them. :drool: My standard have been set so hill I refuse to order steak when out, I will only be disappointed.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Sometimes the old girl will marinate them in buttermilk before they go on the grill. Every once in a while black coffee with chopped garlic and onion with butter or whatever she chooses depending on what the cut looks like. On to the grill for just a very short time.

ktm rider

Feb 21, 2011
    Undisclosed and Secure
    Absolutely and this is why I don't use it for steaks. I will grill roasts, but 1 minute too long for deer steak and you got shoe leather. Besides after making a rolled roast, no way I would use it for steaks.

We process our own deer. We always tenderize the steak with either a tenderizer or a tenderizing hammer before we freeze it. Then lightly bread it and fry it with green peppers and onions.

The key to good tender deer steak is tenderizing. This method makes the meat very tender where you don't even need a knife to cut it. I did the usual marinade for years before I got married. It is good that way but my wife showed me the tenderizing method and it is MUCH better. A bonus of marrying a West Virginia girl.. lol.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... venison!

Marinate in Italian Dressing overnight.

High heat on the grill. Sear each side.

No more than 3 minutes on each side (after searing) with grill on medium heat, or move to side of grill (if charcoal).

Lightly salt and pepper.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    Smoked Venison Ribs

Sorry to hijack the steak thread but don’t forget the ribs. I don’t hunt, and I’ve never butchered a deer, but I understand most people don’t use the ribs because they are a pain, BIG MISTAKE. Every year I get some venison ribs to smoke for a friend and I like them better than pork ribs.

If you want to try venison ribs, when butchering, keep the area of meat on the ribs between the skin and rib bones. This gives the ribs more meat as the ribs themselves are meat slim.

We all know venison dries out easily, so brining overnight before the smoke is crucial. My brine is 1 gallon of water, 1 cup brown sugar, 3/4 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/3 cup Worcestershire, 2 TBSP crushed pepper corns and 1 TBSP of fresh or dry rosemary, juniper berries, bay leaves, savory, marjoram in any combination.

2 hours before smoking, remove the ribs from the brine and dry well. Give the ribs a nice slather of ghee (some people use butter or bacon fat, but ghee is healthier and gives a nicer flavor profile) and rub with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper. I don’t use sugars in the rub as I prefer a savory bark on these ribs but use whatever you like.

Smoke at 225-250* for 2 – 2.5 hours until the color is right. Make sure you don’t have a dirty smoke as I have ruined venison ribs when the smoke isn’t clean. You can’t just run to the store to replace a rack of venison ribs. I use a small fist chunk of pecan and a small fist chunk of oak with the bark removed. Depending on what smoker you use, you may need to add more wood.

Place ribs cupped side up on a sheet of heavy aluminum foil, add 2 TBSP of ghee and spritz well with apple juice and wrap. Cook wrapped ribs an additional 2 - 2.5 hours until the meat is tender. Once ribs are done, I’ll let them set, still wrapped, for an hour before devouring.

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    I keep it simple. Back strap cooked medium rare on the grill (about 3 minutes a side). About 2 hours before grilling, I rub olive oil, salt and garlic on the steaks and let sit. Once finished I’ll add black pepper and let the steaks rest for a couple minutes. Mmmmm hmmm love it. Sometimes I deviate and add a little smoked paprika. I top this off with carmilized onions and mushrooms.

Pstango

Sep 21, 2011
    Mary Esther, FL
    Just picked up my deer from my local processor. Oh yeah! +1 for bacon and more venison. Anything you’d normally make with steak goes well with deer. Asparagus, broccoli, potatoes... my wife likes roasted brussel sprouts with chopped bacon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom