• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kenziemack

Feb 23, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Pictures of them

Here are the pictures! I am excited, but I don't really have an idea of what this means. I have articles from the Chicago Tribune with my grandfather's name for awards and arrests in the 1920's and 1930's. Do you want pictures of the articles, holsters, bullets, etc?

Hello everyone!
    I inherited my great grandfather's Chicago police gun (colt 38, blue steel, officers model, 5 inch barrel with bullets), original holster, badge, a leather baton, and some type of brass knuckles not brass. I have articles from the Chicago Tribune showing him capturing a gangster (photo) and awards for this capture, with other articles about him from the 1920's I think? I don't know how to tell when it was made, I do have a serial number though. It is soooo cool! I also have a badge of his from the World Fair held in Chicago.

How would I go about figuring out how much it is worth?

Thank you, Kenzie

Attachments

• gun 1.jpg
      gun 1.jpg
      38 KB · Views: 247
    • gun 2.jpg
      gun 2.jpg
      70.2 KB · Views: 234
    • gun 3.jpg
      gun 3.jpg
      86.4 KB · Views: 262
    • Gun 4.jpg
      Gun 4.jpg
      56.2 KB · Views: 263
    • gun 5.jpg
      gun 5.jpg
      70.6 KB · Views: 267
    • gun 6.jpg
      gun 6.jpg
      60.6 KB · Views: 279

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Those are beautiful and in good overall shape with some honest wear. Priceless. To have something like that in your family is special.

Very cool and thank for sharing.

I echo the advice to get some basic firearms instruction even if it is just from another friend who is familiar with safe firearm operation. Even if it becomes a display piece, you should know how to handle it properly.

Kenziemack

Feb 23, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I agree, I asked around and found a great shop owner, Charles Zinc. I am thinking about taking a class with him. I would like to understand how to use them better and I may find they are actually fun. I found out a new friend I have collects rifles, I am hoping to go to a shooting range. I was always good at those shooting galleries in amusement parks (I know, lame)

Those are beautiful and in good overall shape with some honest wear. Priceless. To have something like that in your family is special.

Very cool and thank for sharing.

I echo the advice to get some basic firearms instruction even if it is just from another friend who is familiar with safe firearm operation. Even if it becomes a display piece, you should know how to handle it properly.

Meanwhile, the Four Rules will keep everybody safe:

Rule One: All guns are always loaded.

Rule Two: Never let the muzzle cover anything which you are not willing to destroy.

Rule Three: Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

Rule Four: Always be sure of your target, and of what lies behind it.

These rules provide multiple, overlapping layers of safety.

First, get comfortable with knowing your gun, and every gun is loaded. It won't "go off" by itself. None of this "I didn't know it was loaded," or "I thought the safety was on." Guns do not "go off." They are simple and safe enough for children to handle.

Rules two and three ensure perfect safety, and are redundant. If the gun is not pointed in an unsafe direction, there will be little harm from a Negligent Discharge. If you do not touch the trigger, there will not be a Negligent Discharge.

You have a priceless heirloom, which I hope you will be able to pass down to future generations. Meanwhile, I hope you will be able to enjoy your custodianship of the gun in quiet confidence.

Kenziemack- We're here to help and not criticize. That being said, re-read the four rules above (#2) and then look at your left hand in first picture again. I'm not trying to be mean, rather help train you on the thought process that will become second nature soon enough.

PS- I'm jealous of your heirlooms.

Kenziemack

Feb 23, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    No, I completely appreciate this, it just gave me shivers in a bad way. Thank you....I appreciate all this help.

Kenziemack- We're here to help and not criticize. That being said, re-read the four rules above (#2) and then look at your left hand in first picture again. I'm not trying to be mean, rather help train you on the thought process that will become second nature soon enough.

PS- I'm jealous of your heirlooms.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Absolutely yes.

It would still be a firearm easily returned to firing condition.

The ATF has strict standards for destroying firearms, involving multiple cuts of the receiver/frame.

I don't think this should be a problem for the OP.

First, when did he "establish residency?" Doesn't it take several months for that?

Second, when did he actually bring the gun to Maryland? Where is the written record of that?

Third, does anyone at MSP give a damn? This law is so confused and so badly written, nobody can make sense of it. If a prosecutor wants to destroy you, they can interpret the law to serve that purpose. Otherwise, I don't think anyone gives a damn.

Isn't the registration done online? However it's done, I say just register the damn thing before it sneaks out by itself one night and shoots up the local bowling alley. Once it's been registered, it will be harmless.

Can anyone link to the MSP registration form? Does it even ask for a "date of importation?" Didn't somebody say the revolver just entered Maryland a few weeks ago?

OP- do you need help unloading the revolver? I know one of us can help, if need be.

Basically, for a Colt, just pull back on the latch on the left side above the trigger, push the cylinder open to the left, and dump out the cartridges. Easy and safe. (Smith and Wesson, push the latch forward.)

Meanwhile, the Four Rules will keep everybody safe:

Rule One: All guns are always loaded.

Rule Two: Never let the muzzle cover anything which you are not willing to destroy.

Rule Three: Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.

Rule Four: Always be sure of your target, and of what lies behind it.

These rules provide multiple, overlapping layers of safety.

First, get comfortable with knowing your gun, and every gun is loaded. It won't "go off" by itself. None of this "I didn't know it was loaded," or "I thought the safety was on." Guns do not "go off." They are simple and safe enough for children to handle.

Rules two and three ensure perfect safety, and are redundant. If the gun is not pointed in an unsafe direction, there will be little harm from a Negligent Discharge. If you do not touch the trigger, there will not be a Negligent Discharge.

You have a priceless heirloom, which I hope you will be able to pass down to future generations. Meanwhile, I hope you will be able to enjoy your custodianship of the gun in quiet confidence.
    Threeband, you are a resource. Great post.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

No, I completely appreciate this, it just gave me shivers in a bad way. Thank you....I appreciate all this help.

Once you fully understand the basics of gun safety and hear/feel the bang a few times, the fear/mystique of guns goes away quickly. Hell, you might turn into one of us:innocent0
    If your "gun guy" co-worker isn't able to assist, feel free to contact one of us responding (note their proximity to you) and we will be happy to come over to unload the loaded one and give you a ten minute "hands-on" to teach you the basics of gun safety. I live in Pikesville (NW side of I-695)
    Do not transport a loaded gun in Maryland. It can land you in jail for quite a while.

Kenziemack

Feb 23, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    I must admit I have been looking at a rifle from the sale of a different gun...I think I would like to shoot at targets...funny, I have never thought of any of this before reading these threads.... :)

We've got to help you get past that virginal anxiety.
    Once you pop that cherry, a whole wonderful world will open up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom