Wal Mart temporarily blocking sales of firearms outside of Maryland and 10 others

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Malachi.2.15

Jan 27, 2011
    On a separate but related note....

I went into my local Walmart to pick up a Mossberg 500 field/deer combo. They had one in stock a couple of months ago, but they were out of stock when I went in this week. The very helpful sales associate said he could order one for me. He called up his distributor and put his phone on speaker so I could listen in. The distributor said that walmart corporate wouldn't allow them to send that shotgun to Maryland. I could get the youth bantam version but not the full size.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Looks like our laws have made the catalog much smaller. IIRC many places removed handguns from their catalog in MD, was that because their lawyers see our CCW difficulties or another past incursion?

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Just returned from Western PA where I purchased a Ruger American 30-06 from a local shop. Would have been about 3 minutes after filling out the paperwork except the Pennsylvania Instant Check was down and had to go back the next day. Also got a Kimber which is on the way to an FFL here in Maryland.

Feb 7, 2013
    Howard County
    Bought a long gun in a SC Walmart in 2012, after 10/1/13, the same Walmart would not sell me another long gun. The guy showed me a letter stating no sales to MD residents.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Does anyone know if this policy is still in effect? I reside in Washington DC and went to a VA WalMart and was told they couldn't sell to DC residents, called a different WM in VA and was told it shouldn't be a problem. That person also said they don't actually do the paper work for gun sales when I asked them so I will call back tomorrow to clarify. I then called the WM in LaPlata Md and asked the question as as told no they don't. I asked if this was there store policy or a WM policy and was told it was a DC policy. When asked could he clarify was told you have to purchase in DC. Tried to explain that the only way for a DC resident to purchase a firearm is out of state or online and was told thereis an armory or something in DC where I have to go. When I asked him if he was the person in sporting goods that actually sells guns he got upset and said he has been doing this for 22 years and hung up on me.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Does anyone know if this policy is still in effect? I reside in Washington DC and went to a VA WalMart and was told they couldn't sell to DC residents, called a different WM in VA and was told it shouldn't be a problem. That person also said they don't actually do the paper work for gun sales when I asked them so I will call back tomorrow to clarify. I then called the WM in LaPlata Md and asked the question as as told no they don't. I asked if this was there store policy or a WM policy and was told it was a DC policy. When asked could he clarify was told you have to purchase in DC. Tried to explain that the only way for a DC resident to purchase a firearm is out of state or online and was told thereis an armory or something in DC where I have to go. When I asked him if he was the person in sporting goods that actually sells guns he got upset and said he has been doing this for 22 years and hung up on me.

From the MPDC website :: https://mpdc.dc.gov/node/178032

Rifle or Shotgun
    Under federal law, you may purchase a rifle or shotgun in a state in which you do not live from a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL). You should request a PD-219 from MPD before you shop for a firearm. You may pick it up at MPD’s Firearms Registration Section (FRS), request that it be mailed to you, or download the form online at MPDC.DC.GOV. You should bring the PD-219 with you when purchase the firearm, you and the seller will need to complete the firearm weapon information, sign the form, and the dealer will need to enter their dealer’s license number on the top right corner of the form.
    You will complete the rest of the application and bring it to the FRS along with all other necessary materials to complete the registration process. The firearm will continue to be held by the dealer until your application is approved by the FRU.
    Once the application is approved (generally within five days), the FRS will notify you. You can pick up your registration certificate or request that it be mailed to you. Your registration process is then complete.
    After you get the registration certificate, bring it to the dealer to pick up your rifle or shotgun.

Also please go to the Introductions Section and introduce yourself.. Welcome
    https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Just after MOM's firearm law passed, visiting family in Florida, stopped by local WalMart. Fondling a few long guns and talking to the salesperson, who turned out to be a retired school teacher from Maryland. He showed me a company bulletin, restricting all firearms sales to MD residents until the lawyers understood the MD law.

It's a trap.

No one understands the MD law. It was intentionally written to be incomprehensible and ambiguous.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    From the MPDC website :: https://mpdc.dc.gov/node/178032

Rifle or Shotgun
    Under federal law, you may purchase a rifle or shotgun in a state in which you do not live from a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL). You should request a PD-219 from MPD before you shop for a firearm. You may pick it up at MPD’s Firearms Registration Section (FRS), request that it be mailed to you, or download the form online at MPDC.DC.GOV. You should bring the PD-219 with you when purchase the firearm, you and the seller will need to complete the firearm weapon information, sign the form, and the dealer will need to enter their dealer’s license number on the top right corner of the form.
    You will complete the rest of the application and bring it to the FRS along with all other necessary materials to complete the registration process. The firearm will continue to be held by the dealer until your application is approved by the FRU.
    Once the application is approved (generally within five days), the FRS will notify you. You can pick up your registration certificate or request that it be mailed to you. Your registration process is then complete.
    After you get the registration certificate, bring it to the dealer to pick up your rifle or shotgun.

Also please go to the Introductions Section and introduce yourself.. Welcome
    https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119

Yea I know the process very well because I have done it, thats why I was asking the WM employee if not selling to DC residents is a WM corporate policy a WM state policy or a WM individual store policy but kept being told it was a DC policy. WhenI tried to explain that it isn't a DC policy I got hung up on. Didn't get employees name but will be calling store on Monday morning to talk to the store manager.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    I was in Ohio in July. Tried to buy a Remington 700 at the Walmart there. They showed me the Walmart paperwork that says no gun sales to Maryland residents.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , it sucks to be a gun owner living in DC .

But if you were a chain store or random LGS , would you want to deal with that ?

The flipside is an opening of a niche of gun store located in reasonable proximity to DC specifically catering to DC'ers .

Not necessarily blanket endorsements of them , but off the top of my head REALCO and Atlantic would be more likely to be DC fluent .

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Why is Dick's not an option at this time? Thats where I went to purchase my shotgun and had no problem!

It’s not really the logistics, it’s their abrasive anti-2A virtue signaling posture. They burned a lot of food will in that area over the last year, and some high-profile gun makers have walked away from them as a retailer. Until they get their heads on straight I won’t be giving them any gun or ammo sales, or any other business for that matter.

There are some very good local MD gun shops within just a few miles of the district line. If you’re on the north side of town, maybe Atlantic, United, or Engage. If you’re on the south side, maybe go see John at GymRatz. But call around first for a sense of how they can take care of you.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Why is Dick's not an option at this time? Thats where I went to purchase my shotgun and had no problem!

Dick's is not pro gun anymore and have publicly put forth anti-2A statements and policies. Their sales and profit numbers have been suffering as a result because a lot of people including myself will no longer spend a dime in their store. No more gun or ammo or hunting or camping purchases. There is a pretty long thread on the board somewhere.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    It’s not really the logistics, it’s their abrasive anti-2A virtue signaling posture. They burned a lot of food will in that area over the last year, and some high-profile gun makers have walked away from them as a retailer. Until they get their heads on straight I won’t be giving them any gun or ammo sales, or any other business for that matter.

There are some very good local MD gun shops within just a few miles of the district line. If you’re on the north side of town, maybe Atlantic, United, or Engage. If you’re on the south side, maybe go see John at GymRatz. But call around first for a sense of how they can take care of you.

Just checked out GymRatz website and there prices are reasonable will definitely deal with them for future gun purchases!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom