• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    What's everyone think of a benelli m3 super 90? I picked one up super cheap last year and love it but everything I read about is about the m1,m2,m4. What's everyone's take on reliability of the m3. Btw I only paid $350 with mag extender and ghost ring sights. I have only shot it a few times ands it's functioned flawlessly.

Was the previous owner said to be a little old lady that only sometimes fired it sometimes after trips to the market?

Thing sure looks great on paper...

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    I've got my 590 ready to go for home defense. They are remarkably difficult to short-stroke. I've even done the one-handed action film slide rack without it having an issue.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    I'm sure that when someone hears the racking of a shotgun, they will not hesitate to get up and go. I have a Benelli tactical which I use for home defense. As Chad mentioned prior, it uses a variety of ammo which I have used personally. You wont be disappointed.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'll say one thing, I got a bare-bones 500 for under $200 (Wal-Mart), did a stock set for it. I haven't timed myself, but with 5 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber, all 6 are off and hitting in less than 3 seconds, on a B27 target it's torn from waist to forehead. Auto may be faster, but not by much.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I picked up a Sears M-200 a while back at The Gun Shop for $139.

It's badged "Sears", but it is a Winchester 1200 with the Speed Pump. It's slick, it's fast and it goes where I want it to go every single time.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Racking the slide to scare the intruder is silly. You are giving up 2 important things:

1. The fact that you are armed. You are now MORE of a threat to the intruder
    2. Where you are. Now the intruder who sees you as more of a threat knows where to shoot.

People coming into your house while you and your family are home are definitely a threat to your family. Otherwise, they would have broken in when you were out. ;)

Maintain the element of surprise. Shoot first, if need be. There will be one story.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Racking the slide to scare the intruder is silly. You are giving up 2 important things:

2. Where you are. Now the intruder who sees you as more of a threat knows where to shoot.

People coming into your house while you and your family are home are definitely a threat to your family. Otherwise, they would have broken in when you were out. ;)

Maintain the element of surprise. Shoot first, if need be. There will be one story.

:thumbsup:

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis

I can rack it silently...ninja perk :gun2:

If I needed a gun for HD, I'd use my 870 with a 18.5" barrel opposed to the 26 I use for skeet.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I only own one shotgun. It's a Remington 870 with an 18" barrel. It works for me, I take it out to the range and practice with it at least once a month. I have yet to have a single issue with it. My only recommendation is that whatever you decide to buy...practice with it constantly. Only you can decide which shotgun works for you. For me, it's a Remington 870.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Looked at the stoeger m2000's. The inside looks almost identical to the m2's. Some places(like entrance to chamber, where the extractor groove is, and locking lug area) looked a little sharp, but not really bad or anything that couldn't be solved easily. For about $500, what's the feeling on these? I figure they wouldn't like the soft target loads, but defensive ammo and heavier target loads should be fine. What u'all think?
    m2000[1].jpg

Wapato

Aug 26, 2011
    I'll say one thing, I got a bare-bones 500 for under $200 (Wal-Mart), did a stock set for it. I haven't timed myself, but with 5 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber, all 6 are off and hitting in less than 3 seconds, on a B27 target it's torn from waist to forehead. Auto may be faster, but not by much.

Remington 870 FTW!

Looks like you match remington boy there for rounds/second Brad, you ought to make a reply video :P

Autos are faster, actually some autos are advertizing their rates of fire. It seems features that keep you on target at high rates of fire are the new rage. Five in a half second seems to be good enough to mention.

I think I'd want some time with a rental to buy into that, but maybe... I suppose that's the rate of fire on most military assault rifles.

Though I do recall FBI and police things warning that unless there is a psychological response or you hit the upper spine or skull you should expect 10+ seconds of continued activity on the subjects part even if you hit the heart with a handgun round, and since you're suppose to shoot center of mass you should always be prepared for that extra activity.

However if you just dump five of your eight 12 guage buckshot shells into someone like it's a handgun double tap I'd start thinking there might start being solid odds of messing up their musculature and underlying bone and tendon structures to impeed continued aggression, especially if their arms and hands got in the way.

Though again I'd need to try that out, the last thing I need to do is be like Rambo...in the first movie and just spray the neighborhood.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Looks like you match remington boy there for rounds/second Brad, you ought to make a reply video :P

Autos are faster, actually some autos are advertizing their rates of fire as features that keep you on target are the new rage I guess. Five in a half second seems to be good enough to mention.

I think I'd want some time with a rental to buy into that, but maybe...

Though I do recall the FBI and police things warning that unless there is a psychological response or you hit the upper spine or skull you should expect 10+ seconds of continued activity on the subjects part even if you hit, and since you're suppose to shoot center of mass you should always expect that.

However if you just dump five of your eight 12 guage shells into someone like it's a handgun double tap I'd start thinking there might start being solid odds of messing up their musculature and underlying bone and tendon structures to impeed continued aggression.

Though again I'd need to try that out, the last thing I need to do is be like Rambo...in the first movie and just spray the neighborhood.

If you unload a string of five to eight 12 gauge rounds on an intruder you better hope you have a Jury full of Gun Nuts because your going to have every charge they can drum up thrown at you. You turn someone into a pile of meat you will have HUGE issues.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    If you unload a string of five to eight 12 gauge rounds on an intruder you better hope you have a Jury full of Gun Nuts because your going to have every charge they can drum up thrown at you. You turn someone into a pile of meat you will have HUGE issues.

The least of which being a decent carpet cleaner.:D

Wapato

Aug 26, 2011

I've never seen a deer shot five times with buckshot. But they don't look so bad shot twice. I suppose if all five were headshots it might be a bit messy. But would that even look so bad center of mass? Get him a new shirt, maybe some gloves and it's an open casket funeral for scumbag.

I mean I could understand getting into deep doo doo if they could prove you gave the guy a follow up shot once he was on the ground, or put anything into his back at any point.

But even if you're just using a .38 snubnose, if you're shooting at all you're shooting to kill, and you aren't just going to shoot once.

Is there really something I don't know about regarding how vigorously one defends oneself, or was your comment meant to imply that if body parts start coming off than you're in trouble? Would that even happen if you're using #1 buck?

I'm kind of anal if anything about complying with the law and staying out of trouble. But I'd really rather not fire twice and wait to see if he can muster enough gusto to pull his trigger or thrust his knife.

mward

Ultimate Member
    Dec 4, 2009
    Annapolis
    I've never seen a deer shot five times with buckshot. But they don't look so bad shot twice. I suppose if all five were headshots it might be a bit messy. But would that even look so bad center of mass? Get him a new shirt, maybe some gloves and it's an open casket funeral for scumbag.

I mean I could understand getting into deep doo doo if they could prove you gave the guy a follow up shot once he was on the ground, or put anything into his back at any point.

But even if you're just using a .38 snubnose, if you're shooting at all you're shooting to kill, and you aren't just going to shoot once.

Is there really something I don't know about regarding how vigorously one defends oneself, or was your comment meant to imply that if body parts start coming off than you're in trouble? Would that even happen if you're using #1 buck?

I'm kind of anal if anything about complying with the law and staying out of trouble. But I'd really rather not fire twice and wait to see if he can muster enough gusto to pull his trigger or thrust his knife.

If there was a legitimate thread to my life (I mean like someone kicking in the door, with a weapon in his hand coming upstairs), I would probably fire twice before checking if he was down...people on LSD and other hallucinogenics can handle some serious things short term, including gun shots, tasters, etc., but that's something I hope I never have to encounter..

Plus the fact I only have a long barrel for my 870, so there might be a legitimate hole or two through center mass...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom