• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Around noon today my fiancé’s father fell 15ft from a tree stand today, believe he was either either climbing up or down when it happened.

He just went into surgery few minutes ago to try and save the limb, lower leg and knee is badly injured. Also has a cracked L3 and concerned going into surgery, because he ate prior to the fall

Not sure what pain medicine they gave him orally but couldn’t keep it down. He’s in a lot of pain and a bit disoriented.

Similar situation happened to my best friends father several years ago and it’s been downhill ever since.. Been quite some time but what I recall he had surgery after injury and complications/infections, a lot of pain and never the same.

Be careful everyone

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    My dad fell out of a stand while climbing up a stand 28 years ago. He had a stanley thermos in his backpack and landed on it. It cracked two vertebrae and he has had two rods in his back ever since.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    A step-in-law (is that a thing? might be a step-cousin ... it's complicated) mis-stepped while maneuvering his climbing tree stand and dropped his loaded muzzleloader about 15' to the ground. Discharged, shot himself up through his jaw, killed him on the spot. Tree stands are tricky, especially the climbing flavor. Climbing with a loaded muzzleloader? WTF? But he did. Darwinned himself. Left three kids and a wife behind.

A good friend of mine died when he had a stand "fail" about 20 yrs ago.He was in the 280-300 lb. range but had bought a 350+ rated stand.The fall itself didn't do it but the fall ruptured/tore (if that's the correct term) his hernia mesh (?).Point being,you can never be too careful,if he had a harness he might still be here.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Rob, I'm sorry to hear that. It's a timely message and I hope the man pulls through with no lasting damage.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Always remember also with “permanent” type stands that an overnight layer of frost on plywood or lumber will give you a skating rink in short order.

LOTS of ways to find yourself in trouble.Get yourself a harness, learn to climb and descend with it, and wear it. You’re fine, until that quick you aren’t.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    A step-in-law (is that a thing? might be a step-cousin ... it's complicated) mis-stepped while maneuvering his climbing tree stand and dropped his loaded muzzleloader about 15' to the ground. Discharged, shot himself up through his jaw, killed him on the spot. Tree stands are tricky, especially the climbing flavor. Climbing with a loaded muzzleloader? WTF? But he did. Darwinned himself. Left three kids and a wife behind.

A friend from years ago was in his stand and somehow dropped his shotgun and got a slug through the armpit up, didn’t kill him but he was never the same

It pays to be careful

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Update, everything is looking better... They drilled his leg and now braced, to help keep it stable until swelling goes down, then he goes back in for another surgery Wednesday.
    Doctor said he did a good job re-setting his own leg after his fall, one neighbor and his son grabbed their ATV and were able to pull him out of the woods until help arrived.
    Good news is he’s doing better, in good spirits and just settled in his hospital room. They expect the L3 fracture to heal on its own.

Overall can’t complain could have been much worse living in the sticks with only a handful of neighbors.
    As a side note the surgeon is smoking hot per my future mother in law lol

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Thats terrible. Prayers sent. As I get older I am more comfortable in a ground blind. I used to climb 30 feet in my climber. Not so much anymore.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Update, everything is looking better... They drilled his leg and now braced, to help keep it stable until swelling goes down, then he goes back in for another surgery Wednesday.
    Doctor said he did a good job re-setting his own leg after his fall, one neighbor and his son grabbed their ATV and were able to pull him out of the woods until help arrived.
    Good news is he’s doing better, in good spirits and just settled in his hospital room. They expect the L3 fracture to heal on its own.

Overall can’t complain could have been much worse living in the sticks with only a handful of neighbors.
    As a side note the surgeon is smoking hot per my future mother in law lol

Great news, prayers continue

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thats terrible. Prayers sent. As I get older I am more comfortable in a ground blind. I used to climb 30 feet in my climber. Not so much anymore.

Hell, I am in my 30s and I get over 20ft up and I start noping. I always use my harness and strap. That said, I learned my lesson about being careful even with a harness on. Was climbing down way to fast because I was in a panic (forgot any orange, 20 feet up a tree in early muzzleloader).

Anyway, I didn’t properly set the bottom section when I went to release the top section the bottom dropped out on me and dropped about 2 feet and my harness caught me just as the stand bit back in. I was only 4 feet off the ground when it happened, but I swung in to the tree all the same and bashed my lip and nose.

I knew dang well if that had happened 20 feet up I could have been stuck hanging there till someone found me.

But it reinforced wearing a harness AND being really damn careful. My neighbor hunted with a harness for years until I met him. After going out twice together I told him I wouldn’t go hunting with him any more if he wasn’t going to wear a harness in a stand (or using it going up and down the tree with his climber). I told him I wouldn’t be the one to tell his wife he F-ed up and was dead or paralyzed.

He always wears a harness now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom