• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Hi all. I have an issue hopefully someone call help me with (besides the loose screws). lol

I have a particular handgun that I want to purchase but have been unable to find locally. The problem is that the only inventories that are available have 13rd Magazines, therefore the dealers cant sell to me online or in State. i have contacted a few dealers who are willing to ship the gun without mags but are not willing to just include 10rd instead of the 13. I was even willing to accept one 10rd in exchange for the 2 13rd mags that come with the package. Now as far as I understand, it IS legal to buy and own mags with greater than 10rd capacity, just that I CAN't buy them locally or buy online and have SHIPPED to Maryland. So would it be illegal to DRIVE to the dealer in VA or PA, purchase the gun, have it shipped WITHOUT mags to a local FFL and HAND CARRY the mags back home? BTW the same HANDGUN model with the 10rd mag IS legal in Maryland. just seems that no one has any instock right now nor can tell me when they might become available.

abu Haqiqa

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 10, 2017
    What I learned recently is that the mag capacity is linked to the serial number of the firearm. So I think they can sell you the gun with no mags, but not with substituted mags.

I found this out trying to see if I could take advantage of the Springfield free mags offer by having them send full capacity ones to family in another state. They said that legally it had to be the same as the original mags because of the SN linkage.

That doesn't help answer your query about driving to pick up mags, but maybe provides some context?

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    What I learned recently is that the mag capacity is linked to the serial number of the firearm. So I think they can sell you the gun with no mags, but not with substituted mags.

I found this out trying to see if I could take advantage of the Springfield free mags offer by having them send full capacity ones to family in another state. They said that legally it had to be the same as the original mags because of the SN linkage.

That doesn't help answer your query about driving to pick up mags, but maybe provides some context?

LOL. The serial numbers don't mean anything legally.

Either the FFL will do it or they won't. A "Cabela's" won't do it because of having to deal with the mags which came with it that are not in retail packaging for resale (aka they don't feel like dicking with it).

A FFL in MD would have to resell the 13 rounder out of state if they were to get it, so not worth the hassle there either.

Springfield was just acting the same as Cabela's (they don't want to dick with it). It is their policy for the promotion. Not their fault MD sucks.

Some online retailers will do it. You'd have to call around to find one.

What is the handgun you are speaking of OP?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Go to any gun store. Tell them what you want to buy. If the firearm is sold with MD compliant mags, it's simple to just place the order and wait for it to come in. Complete the paperwork. Wait 7 days and then pick up your new handgun. Since this is your first post, I have to ask this question. Do you already have your HQL?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Why is it that these questions are always asked by someone with 1 post?

Because Maryland.
    You can lurk forever but once you want to buy something and stub your toe on Maryland's retarded guns laws, then you need to ask a question.
    Its either that or a plant, one of the two. :)

Oh and apologies to anyone here who actually is retarded, no offense or anything. :thumbsup:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Because Maryland.
    You can lurk forever but once you want to buy something and stub your toe on Maryland's retarded guns laws, then you need to ask a question.
    Its either that or a plant, one of the two. :)

Oh and apologies to anyone here who actually is retarded, no offense or anything. :thumbsup:

Ok now I'm offended, not by your statement but by the fact that I realize I'm retarded by even clicking on this thread.:cool:

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Why is it that these questions are always asked by someone with 1 post?
    Hopefully because you guys are more knowledgeable and isnt that what these forums are for? Sorry for being a noob. But a regular told me this where he and his friends come to find out useful information.

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A

Ok. That was my assumption since I even asked if they would substitute 10rd for the 2 13s.

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Go to any gun store. Tell them what you want to buy. If the firearm is sold with MD compliant mags, it's simple to just place the order and wait for it to come in. Complete the paperwork. Wait 7 days and then pick up your new handgun. Since this is your first post, I have to ask this question. Do you already have your HQL?
    Hi. Jim. They do make a compliant version but it doesn't seem that anyone has them or can get them locally. Only the non compliant are available. Its a Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm and I have been waiting for it to come in stock somewhere for a few months. I really liked the 380 version but with all the hassle of trying to find it and or wait, look like I may have to just move on.

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Hi. Yes this is my first post here on THIS site. I have actually owned since 95 and do have my HQL.

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    LOL. The serial numbers don't mean anything legally.

Either the FFL will do it or they won't. A "Cabela's" won't do it because of having to deal with the mags which came with it that are not in retail packaging for resale (aka they don't feel like dicking with it).

A FFL in MD would have to resell the 13 rounder out of state if they were to get it, so not worth the hassle there either.

Springfield was just acting the same as Cabela's (they don't want to dick with it). It is their policy for the promotion. Not their fault MD sucks.

Some online retailers will do it. You'd have to call around to find one.

What is the handgun you are speaking of OP?
    Hi Adit. Looking for a Bersa thunder Pro 9mm UC.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Hopefully because you guys are more knowledgeable and isnt that what these forums are for? Sorry for being a noob. But a regular told me this where he and his friends come to find out useful information.

Please understand something and do not take offense. There are a lot of trolls on this and all online forums. When someone's very first post is, "How do I circumvent the law," it raises eyebrows and begs the question of what is the posters real intent here.

Is the question constructive/genuine or is the poster, who is unknown and brand new to the forum, a troll who is trying to expose a loophole and will use the answer to hurt our community.

So, welcome to MDS. I would encourage you to spend time on the forum and contribute by posting here and there. You will find it is easy to get your post count up to a point where the rest of the members become comfortable with you and your intentions.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Yes you can buy at an out of state dealer. Walk out with the standard capacity mags while they ship your firearm to the MD dealer of your choice.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    There are several FFL IPs on this site that have the ability to get the gun you want and pin the mags to 10 rounds.
    This. I bought a full cerakoted Glock 19 last year from an IP. This particular G19 had no sku# for a Md compliant version so it only came with the standard 15 round mags. The IP modified em to only accept 10. I later "unmoddified" them to standard capacity (after leaving Maryland of course :innocent0)

Hall Pass

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2017
    Hereford, MD
    Yes you can buy at an out of state dealer. Walk out with the standard capacity mags while they ship your firearm to the MD dealer of your choice.

And to his other question, I have traveled to PA and DE legally purchased magazines with over 10 rds. That isn't against the law in MD is it? Does the law say anything about an owner transporting his own property into the state of MD if they are over 10 rds?

Scorpioj

Feb 27, 2017
    US of A
    Please understand something and do not take offense. There are a lot of trolls on this and all online forums. When someone's very first post is, "How do I circumvent the law," it raises eyebrows and begs the question of what is the posters real intent here.

Is the question constructive/genuine or is the poster, who is unknown and brand new to the forum, a troll who is trying to expose a loophole and will use the answer to hurt our community.

So, welcome to MDS. I would encourage you to spend time on the forum and contribute by posting here and there. You will find it is easy to get your post count up to a point where the rest of the members become comfortable with you and your intentions.
    Hi MEGARMS,

I do understand that happens. I must admit that I WAS initially offended but I understand your concerns. That was why in the original post I did ask was it illegal. I don't always AGREE with but I do RESPECT our gun laws. I really don't care if the gun has 10 or 13 rds, Heck 8+1 is fine. I just haven't had luck with finding any local shops that found the gun or would modify the mags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom